Bring Back Marv Levy. . . I'm Dead Serious

It apparently doesn't matter that the game has changed and these coaches are old now. Great coaches just add something intangible to a team. This is a fact. It may take a year or so, but the team will buy into what the great coaches "are selling". Look at Gibbs and the Skins. They are going to be a force later this year, and even more so next year.

I'd take Marv back in an instant. He wants the job too. I never thought he should have left in the first place. I think he should coach until the day he passes or cannot physically do it. . . We'll just call him the "Bear Bryant" of the NFL.

I'd take Marv back in an instant. He wants the job too.

484289[/snapback]

How the heck do you know that? He was the oldest coach in the NFL 9 years ago when he retired. The man is old. I don't think he can log the hours anymore. Eating dinner at 3:30pm and hitting the sack by 7pm is not as easy as it looks.

TD obviously made a mistake hiring GW. That was acknowledged by TD firing him. The question is why, after that debacle, would he go out and hire another coordinator with NO EXPERIENCE as a head coach? It is astounding. Trying to prove just how smart he is...

TD obviously made a mistake hiring GW.  That was acknowledged by TD firing him.  The question is why, after that debacle, would he go out and hire another coordinator with NO EXPERIENCE as a head coach?  It is astounding.  Trying to prove just how smart he is...

484451[/snapback]

Because it is sooooo easy to find a great NFL head coach... They are just falling right out of the trees!

Let's see, if we look at who the top coaches are - how many have been around since the *80's*...?

You only need to fill 32 spots, yet there are guys doing those for 25+ years who are still hanging around. How many coaches get fired every single year? Is it because finding teh right one is so easy or because it is a bit more difficult than you suggest?

Whom was the great coach that he SHOULD have hired? Oh, you probably don't have an answer to that one. The great ones are already employed.

How the heck do you know that?  He was the oldest coach in the NFL 9 years ago when he retired.  The man is old.  I don't think he can log the hours anymore.  Eating dinner at 3:30pm and hitting the sack by 7pm is not as easy as it looks.

TD obviously made a mistake hiring GW.  That was acknowledged by TD firing him.  The question is why, after that debacle, would he go out and hire another coordinator with NO EXPERIENCE as a head coach?  It is astounding.  Trying to prove just how smart he is...

484451[/snapback]

With all due respect to Marv, Bill Polian was the person who put the team together. And now we know the rest of the story! :lol:

Because it is sooooo easy to find a great NFL head coach...  They are just falling right out of the trees!

Let's see, if we look at who the top coaches are - how many have been around since the *80's*...?

You only need to fill 32 spots, yet there are guys doing those for 25+ years who are still hanging around. How many coaches get fired every single year?  Is it because finding teh right one is so easy or because it is a bit more difficult than you suggest?

Whom was the great coach that he SHOULD have hired?  Oh, you probably don't have an answer to that one.  The great ones are already employed.

484470[/snapback]

Whoa big guy, take it easy. I'm not pretending to be a GM, or to even have one-tenth the football knowledge that guys like you and TD have. But when you make a mistake, don't you do everything in your power not to make the same mistake again? After 3 seasons with GW, it was clear he didn't have "It" as a head coach (whatever "it" is.) That's not to say that he won't ever have "it," it's just that he was in a situation he had never been in before, and he lost the team. He was not successful in the little things, such as managing veteran players in training camp, or dealing with the media when the team is struggling and everyone wants answers. Those are things he never had to do before, and he was not successful in those areas. The second time around, maybe he will be.

So all I'm saying is, why would TD, after admitting hiring GW was a mistake (I think his firing is admission enough) hire another rookie HC? Doesn't that risk making the same mistake twice? Mularkey's 0-4 start may have proven that there is a learning curve for coaches in the NFL as well as players.

Point taken that good coaches are usually already employed. I'm not saying picking a good one is easy; all I'm saying is don't make the same mistake twice when picking a bad one.

Who should they have hired? I dunno. Perhaps Jim Fassell would have been worth a shot.

We could bring back Wade who everybody liked to make fun of (gee he didn't wear a headset), but he is the only coach in Bills history not to have a losing season. He understood the importance of a few things like having a great D-line.

How the heck do you know that?  He was the oldest coach in the NFL 9 years ago when he retired.  The man is old.  I don't think he can log the hours anymore.  Eating dinner at 3:30pm and hitting the sack by 7pm is not as easy as it looks.

484451[/snapback]

Marv said he'd like to take over the Bills again two years ago before TD hired MM. I thought then that maybe the Bills owed it to Marv, but really there is no such thing in the NFL. I agree that he likely couldn't handle the hours, etc., that would be needed.

Marv said he'd like to take over the Bills again two years ago before TD hired MM. I thought then that maybe the Bills owed it to Marv, but really there is no such thing in the NFL. I agree that he likely couldn't handle the hours, etc., that would be needed.

484617[/snapback]

Yeah, looks like all of MMs long hours are paying big dividends. . .

luring marv back was a bad idea when people brought it up at the end of the gregg williams era, and it is a bad idea now. 

what this team needs is better talent on the field.

484499[/snapback]

I think they need better coaching that can displine players to play their

positions...not get out of positions....

You cannot have star players at every position...that is the way the NFL

is today....what you need is effective coaching that will make the

difference....

Go check the Steelers, Patriots and Panthers rosters.....How many

super-stars do they have......

We have sufficient talent......what we need is a good coaching...sadly we

lack this.....and we will continue to do this as long as the General manager

has the upperhand over the coaching staff.....

I think they need better coaching that can displine players to play their

positions...not get out of positions....

You cannot have star players at every position...that is the way the NFL

is today....what you need is effective  coaching that will make the

difference....

Go check the Steelers, Patriots and Panthers rosters.....How many

super-stars do they have......

We have sufficient talent......what we need is a  good coaching...sadly we

lack this.....and we will continue to do this as long as the General manager

has the upperhand over the coaching staff.....

484630[/snapback]

I agree with much of what you say, but do you think that TD is demanding that the Bills predictably blitz on almost every play? Do you think that TD is lining up the DEs 15 yards apart and opening huge running lanes?

I have my issues with TD. Big ones, but he is not to blame for ALL of this.