Places in WNY to take an out-of-towner

stevestojan

Well, we just went to Old Fort Niagara in Youngstown on our vacation. Its about 20-30 mins north of Buffalo and a good place to see a little peace of history. I liked it, and my wife like it alot. Granted, my wife was a History Major, so take that for what its worth...If your Girl likes history, it might be nice to go see how they lived in 1759... (not an all day event, more like an hour or two.)

If she likes to hike, you might try Letchworth state park, or the Iriquois Preservation Area. Letchworth was nice last week, but should be better this week for Fall colors...

"Out-of-towner" means something completely different to me, and I've been chuckling about it all afternoon since I saw your post. I didn't want to muck up your thread, but whatever, it's friday.

My buddies and I go on a baseball trip every year, and it never fails that we get down to the hotel lobby to catch the limo to the game when...

Hang on, lads.

What, man, the freaking limo's here.

I've got to take an out-of-towner.

Now? Jesus, Kev, why couldn't you go upstairs, man?

I didn't have to go when I was upstairs.

Well, Christ, man. Hurry the hell up.

Then take her to the Seneca's house for some slots and a wonderful trans - fat buffet.

482717[/snapback]

You're assuming that you won't be mugged/killed while walking down Main St. :blush:

Wow, between this and my Love Canal comment, can you sense my contempt for Niagara Falls?

CW

Oh, and the Candian Ballet might not work out real well, but thanks for the tip! :blush:

482041[/snapback]

And yes, she's a refined lady, which is why I'm still shocked she hangs out with me.. 

Maybe you can get her an interview at Pure Platinum.

I have a passport now, but last time I went into Canada (2004) they wanted photo ID and birth certificate.

If you head southwest you should go to Letchworth State Park, Grand Canyon of the East. The trip through Wyoming County on the way to wine country/Finger Lakes is very scenic.

The HOG (House of Guitars) is a great place for instruments and music (just picked up a Jew's harp and some strings), and is an experience if you do not mind climbing all over the mess looking for a CD or t-shirt. If you ask, someone always knows where stuff is! :blush:

You shouldn't, although if you have a passport, I'd bring it just in case.

When we crossed the border, they never even looked at our IDs (both leaving and coming back).

CW

482059[/snapback]

If you make it to Rochester, you can get a Garbage Plate.

Afterwards go to the High Falls area. Besides the walk across the river above the falls, there is Jimmy Macs, McFaddens, and Tiki Bob's. The High Falls also has a museum.

Plates, exercise, good bars, and intellectual pursit all in one trip. :blush:

When in Niagara Falls, take her for a stroll down Main street. Or Falls street. Bask in the decay wrought by 50 years of criminally inept city government.

Then take her to the Seneca's house for some slots and a wonderful trans - fat buffet.

482717[/snapback]

That's my city you're talkin' 'bout!

...and you're right. :lol:

I don't live in WNY anymore, so my ideas/locations may be a bit off.

Someone took my Letchworth State Park idea.

Are the "speed" boats still running in the Niagara Falls gorge? Isn't there a gondola-type ride over the gorge?

Old Fort Niagara? The power plant in Lewiston?

Doesn't Fisher Price have a museum in East Aurora? Wurlitzer plant in Kenmore?

Braodway Market? What is the name of the cider mill in East Aurora?