Old Whitey and SI

Toledo Bill

Sports Illustrated has a nice piece on Bledsoe's good year. They quote Tom Donahoe as saying... "He is playing against primarily NFC opponents that have not seen him in a while. Wait until the second time around". I know I do not have the quote verbatim, but it is close. I can't wait to see how this year plays out. Either:

1. Bledsoe plays great all year, Donahoe' s major mistake is revealed and his comments reflect his own failure.

2. Bledsoe falls on his face in the second half and Tom is a genius.

Initially, I took his comments as sour grapes and that he felt that he could not have been wrong, but now I am interested in seeing how the year plays out.

He also mentioned that part of Drew's success was due to good pass protection. That comment left me scratching my head. We have all been crying for improvements in the offensive line for quite some time and now he attributes part of Drew's good year to good pass protection. Where was that thinking while Drew was here?

Sports Illustrated has a nice piece on Bledsoe's good year. They quote Tom Donahoe as saying... "He is playing against primarily NFC opponents that have not seen him in a while. Wait until the second time around". I know I do not have the quote verbatim, but it is close. I can't wait to see how this year plays out. Either:

1. Bledsoe plays great all year, Donahoe' s major mistake is revealed and his comments reflect his own failure.

2. Bledsoe falls on his face in the second half and Tom is a genius.

Initially, I took his comments as sour grapes and that he felt that he could not have been wrong, but now I am interested in seeing how the year plays out.

He also mentioned that part of Drew's success was due to good pass protection. That comment left me scratching my head. We have all been crying for improvements in the offensive line for quite some time and now he attributes part of Drew's good year to good pass protection. Where was that thinking while Drew was here?

481808[/snapback]

Good find, thanks for the info.

You know, I remember reading a fairly recent interview in which MM was something less than gracious when asked by a reporter about Drew and his recent success. I am thinking that a more typical response would have been along the lines of praise, well wishes, etc.

This leads me to 3 possible conclusions:

1) Sour grapes for the loss to Pitt? Who knows just how much this loss upset TD and MM?

2) Perhaps TD truly believes that Bledsoe is horrid. Hard to say why, considering that the replacement TD handed the job to can't (at this point) seem to play at all, and is on the bench. Certainly he cannot believe that JP is doing as well as Drew is/was.

3) (and most likely imo) On TSW, we are rabid fans and we want to know each and every thing that goes on wrt the Bills. The fact is, we never will. I am guessing that there was something behind the scenes that triggered bad blood; something we will never find out.

Again, comments like this seem to be not so common. I don't think we will ever know the cause for them.

Jmo.

The correct thing for TD to have said in the article:

"Drew is a Cowboy now so I wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire. Next question."

481864[/snapback]

Correction: the only time I wouldn't piss on him is if he were on fire.

1. The Dallas line is blocking for him well! That much is obvious.

2. Tuna has made it known that all receivers must run their routes like they are the #1 target on every play and dropped balls and fumbles just won't be tolerated.

Both of these pointes were not emphasized nearly enough when he was here.

481808[/snapback]

JEEZ TOM, YA THINK?! :doh:;)

i guess i have to give him credit for having the balls to say it, but at the same time, that comment really pisses me off. i am NOT one of those people who wants TD run out of town on a rail, but on the other hand, considering that this is donohoe's FIFTH year in charge, the talent level across our o-line is absurd! every year it is obvious that our o-line sucks, but every year we do nothing but sign journeymen to start for us. i wish to god ol' whitey could be as creative in getting quality o-linemen on our roster as was in getting bledsoe and mcgahee. then we might win a few games OTHER than the ones in which we play lousy teams at home.

I had a lot of people breaking my balls because Bledsoe has been "so good" this year....I've been telling them wait until the second half of the season and tell me what you think then....

482587[/snapback]

Maybe.

First half of 2002 5-3 (wins/loss) ...surprised some with

Second Half 2002 3-5 ...opponents catching on

First half of 2003 4-4 ...new season, some surprised some

Second half 2003 2-6 ...opponents have him down cold

Then again, maybe DB will do well all season with Dallas. The Tuna is the undisputed master of getting inside his players heads and making them perform. Maybe DB's success is due to the Tuna's psychological warfare making him perform well. If so, sad that a professional athlete needs such external motivation.

I still feel cutting DB was best, 1) because we don't have a immobile QB compatible o-line like Dallas does 2) Mularkey would never be able to get inside DB's head as well the the Tuna.

I don't mind DB seeing some success... he was first class while here (most of the time).

I find that quote hard to believe it is so un-TD like. Some think there was some bad blood. Maybe TD is just starting to feel the heat. Neither TD or MM will be looked upon highly if DB succeeds.

To make matters worse, I read here going into the season that Dallas' line was worse that ours last year. Looks like Parcell's new how to fix that or even more importantly, understood it was important.