This is hard to say!

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enough with the hypotheticals.  Where WAS Vinatieri when Bledsoe was the QB? 

479268[/snapback]

What's your obsession with Bledsoe?

I see Mudslide Brady is once again proving what a farce the QB Rating system is-

He's 6-23 on his passes over 20 yards and once again among the worst in the NFL in throwing over 20 but the fact that the system in New England has more behind the line of scrimmage passes than any in the history of the game, his rating overall is a bloated 92!

He's half a QB, a guy who can play if you don't need to throw effectively downfield. There's nothing wrong with that, in fact he's proven that if you can find a hinky little passing system, the best kicker in the history of football and one of the best contemporay defensive strategists to run everything, even a hink and dink QB who can't get to the red zone can eke out 3 point wins off the golden toe that bails him out again and again and again and again!

I see Mudslide Brady is once again proving what a farce the QB Rating system is-

He's 6-23 on his passes over 20 yards and once again among the worst in the NFL in throwing over 20 but the fact that the system in New England has more behind the line of scrimmage passes than any in the history of the game, his rating overall is a bloated 92!

He's half a QB, a guy who can play if you don't need to throw effectively downfield. There's nothing wrong with that, in fact he's proven that if you can find a hinky little passing system, the best kicker in the history of football and one of the best contemporay defensive strategists to run everything, even a hink and dink QB who can't get to the red zone can eke out 3 point wins off the golden toe that bails him out again and again and again and again!

479296[/snapback]

You need to stop letting your hatred blind you. Brady averages 7.99 yards per attempt, good for 3rd best in the league. You simply can't do that if the majority of your passes aren't going past the line of scrimmage. Bulger, who throws the ball down field plenty, has a higher completion percentage than Brady and still doesn't average as much as Brady does per attempt. Same goes for Carson Palmer...and Peyton Manning...and Matt Hasselbeck...and the list goes on.

If it makes you feel better to do so go ahead and be the blindman. Personally I would rather respect the Bill's opponents rather than underestimate them. Obviously I'm in the minority on this board.

Personally I would rather respect the Bill's opponents rather than underestimate them.  Obviously I'm in the minority on this board.

479319[/snapback]

I'm not so sure about that. We might not all jump up to defend Brady, but it is the usual suspects falling over themselves to blast him.

The main thing I've come to realize with Brady (not that I like it) is that he just gets it done. Time in, time out when a play (or plays) is needed he makes it happen. He is not a "measureable" type of player. You cannot prove or disprove his abilities with statistics. He is just the epitomy of clutch and cool under duress. I hate the bastard, but it's true.

479296[/snapback]

Yeah AKC you're smoking crack and a hater! As much as I want to find fault in Brady's game, I can't! He's not like Aikman where he relied on the running game and a WR pushing off. WHen he needs to put the yoke on his back and carry that team he steps up and does it effortlessly. If he needed to go along with the system whenver the game is at hand or pass for 300+ yards a game slinging the ball across the field he can. No he can not throw the 20 yard out (neither could Montana) but any other pass he can make. You say he can't throw down the field; well who threw that deep bomb to Bethel Johnson against ATL 2 weeks ago or dropped those bombs against the Steelers in the championship game? Anybody who doesn't give Brady his props is a blind @$$ hater point blank!

The main thing I've come to realize with Brady (not that I like it) is that he just gets it done. Time in, time out when a play (or plays) is needed he makes it happen. He is not a "measureable" type of player. You cannot prove or disprove his abilities with statistics. He is just the epitomy of clutch and cool under duress. I hate the bastard, but it's true.

479340[/snapback]

And yet, as a fan of the game you recognize that:

Given a top NFL defense that keeps your team in every game, even a QB like Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer can find a system that fits them. It shouldn't be any surpise to anyone that now that the defense is declining in NE so are the Pats. It's certainly no suprise to me.

why do we have this thread anyways? was there any pressing need to give him a bj? this is just an extra gift, letting him know we here at tdb would try extra hard to make him feel good? was just having one thread not good enough, the man needs two? i don't understand at all why we need this thread. brady sucks and stop licking his balls for him.

Enough with the hypotheticals.  Where WAS Vinatieri when Bledsoe was the QB?  I can tell you this, no was talking about him as one of the best clutch kickers in NFL histroy!

479268[/snapback]

Have you forgotten that he beat the Jets 30-28 with a last-second field goal (albeit a chip shot since Bledsoe got the Pats down to the Jets' 6 with three seconds left) in the 1999 opener? Or that he beat the Colts with a 35-yarder with 23 seconds left in the next game, leading to his being named AFC Special Teams Player of the Month for September?

Or that he set a franchise record with 25 straight FGs during 1996-97 with Bledsoe at quarterback?

Or that his FG% in the five seasons with Bledsoe at the helm was 80.5, surprisingly close to his 81% career average?

Or that he beat Jacksonville with a 40-yard kick in OT in 1996, his rookie year?

Or that he was AFC Special Teams Player of the Month in October 1998?

Or that in 2000 he beat the Bills with a 24-yarder in OT?

All of this happened before Brady set foot on the field. The man has been clutch pretty much from the get-go. You can argue that his greater recognition of late has been due to Brady arriving in 2001, but I think it's more that Belichick arrived in 1999 and made the team better, giving Vinatieri the chance to kick meaningful FGs deep into the playoffs instead of just during the regular season. Can you honestly tell me that -- completely excluding the quarterbacks -- the Pats of 1996-2000 were as talented (particularly on defense) as the Pats of 2001-2004?

Given a top NFL defense that keeps your team in every game, even a QB like Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer can find a system that fits them. It shouldn't be any surpise to anyone that now that the defense is declining in NE so are the Pats. It's certainly no suprise to me.

479352[/snapback]

They have been in every game they played this year. You are correct, their D has been brutal. However, Marsha is still putting up the points regardless of who he plays with or against. He is one of the few QBs ever who can place the entire team on his back and carry them to victory consistantly. Johnny U is the only other I can think of.

...even a QB like Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer can find a system that fits them.

479352[/snapback]

Isn't that/wasn't that pretty much the case with John Elway, Terry Bradshaw, Johnny Unitas, Len Dawson, Joe Montana, Dan Marino, YA Tittle, Peyton Manning, Bart Starr, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Brett Favre, etc, etc, etc?

Isn't it their execution in the system with which they work that seperates the proverbial men from the boys?

You need to stop letting your hatred blind you. 

479319[/snapback]

The blind when it comes to Brady are the idiots who think his talents are portable to most NFL offenses historically. They're simply not. He's on par with other good field vision guys like Drew Brees, but if you give Bree's the Pat's teams over the past 4 season the outcome would be the same, and possibly even with at least ONE convincing championship win instead of a trio of little field goal whimperers.

The blind when it comes to Brady are the idiots who think his talents are portable to most NFL offenses historically.

479370[/snapback]

That's true, but no one said that Brady's talents are "portable to most NFL offenses historically." Or at least not that I've seen...

It's hardly an argument- the best player on the Pats, and the one most responsible for all the 3-point wins in critical games, is of course the guy who kicks those 3-point scores.

479216[/snapback]

But don't forget the guy who put them in the position to kick a field goal.

Isn't that/wasn't that pretty much the case with John Elway, Terry Bradshaw, Johnny Unitas, Len Dawson, Joe Montana, Dan Marino, YA Tittle, Peyton Manning, Bart Starr, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Brett Favre, etc, etc, etc?

Isn't it their execution in the system with which they work that seperates the proverbial men from the boys?

479365[/snapback]

Just take Elway for example. He opened up with some struggles due to his reliance on his feet (sound familiar?) but once he settled down into the pocket he became a complete QB who won it all in a big-ball play-action offense that Brady simply couldn't have survived in. On the other hand, had you given Elway the D in NE, the kicker and even used the hinky dink offense, Elway would have turned in 3 or 4 TD Super Bowl wins, probably 4 times. Unitas the same, Manning has the full toolbox, Kelly and Favre possibilities although they are/were both on the wrong side of the risk taking equation. So I'd say at least 3 of those you mention would have had BETTER results with the NE team than Mudslide has.

The blind when it comes to Brady are the idiots who think his talents are portable to most NFL offenses historically. They're simply not. He's on par with other good field vision guys like Drew Brees, but if you give Bree's the Pat's teams over the past 4 season the outcome would be the same, and possibly even with at least ONE convincing championship win instead of a trio of little field goal whimperers.

479370[/snapback]

You conveniently ignored the other part of my post. How is it that Brady can average 7.99ypa when he's dinking it down the field while other guys in the league (who throw down the field) have a higher completion percentage but a lower ypa? I'm assuming your argument would be that the defenses Brady faces don't realize that all he can do is dink it and dunk it down the field and they're caught out of position on the 30 screen passes the Pats run each week... :(

You conveniently ignored the other part of my post.  How is it that Brady can average 7.99ypa when he's dinking it down the field while other guys in the league (who throw down the field) have a higher completion percentage but a lower ypa?  I'm assuming your argument would be that the defenses Brady faces don't realize that all he can do is dink it and dunk it down the field and they're caught out of position on the 30 screen passes the Pats run each week... :(

479382[/snapback]

It's called RAC. It's an element of West Coast passing games that holds consistently true. That's why pure West Coast teams like the Seahawks have virtually the same 7.9 YPA reception as the Pats.

Just take Elway for example. He opened up with some struggles due to his reliance on his feet (sound familiar?) but once he settled down into the pocket he became a complete QB who won it all in a big abll play action offense that Brady simply couldn't have survived in. On the other hand, had you given Elway the D in NE, the kicker and even used the hinky dink offense, Elway would have turned in 3 or 4 TD Super Bowl wins, probably 4 times. Unitas the same, Manning has the full toolbox, Kelly and Favre possibilities although they are/were both on the wrong side of the risk taking equation.

479380[/snapback]

See, that's just it. We can argue about if for the next 50 years, but we'll never know how Elway would have done in New England's system. All we can do is look at their performance in the systems in which they played. He doesn't "win" all of his team's games anymore than he loses them - it's a team game afterall. That being the case, Brady is a very effective QB. One of the measuring sticks of a QB's performance are his stats. Brady's are pretty frickin' good, are they not? Another measuring stick is wins. I don't need to tell you how he's done there, do I?

Now if you'll excuse me, I've just come dangerously close to defending him, and I need to go throw up...