The Best Bills-Jets Game ?

Bob Lamb

November 20th, 1988

The 10-1 Bills welcomed the New York Jets to a soggy Rich Stadium on a cold, dank November Sunday. The Bills were coming off six days of relative rest after beating Miami the previous (warm) Monday Night, 31-6. The 5-5-1 Jets had lost the last two games, four of the last six and had scored a rare NFL tie against the Kansas City Chiefs.

After a 7-9 record in the 1987 season, the Bills started the 1988 season 4-0, lost to Chicago in Week 5 and won the next six in a row – entering this game with the AFC East at their mercy. A win this day would clinch the AFC East Division with four weeks left in the season.

The weather was miserable and the play on the field suffered as a result. The first quarter went scoreless and the Jets led 3-0 at halftime as the teams traded punts. Scott Norwood missed a 47 yard FG at the end of the first half when the ball hit the crossbar. The Bills kicker atoned by tying the game with a 25 yard FG in the third quarter. He put the Bills in the lead (6-3) in the fourth quarter with a 26 yard FG after 3:04. The Jets responded 3 ½ minutes later with a 40 yard FG by 15-year veteran Pat Leahy.

The teams exchanged punts and on the next drive a 35-yard pass play to Pete Metzelaars left the Bills on the Jets 25 with 5 minutes left. However, on the next play, rookie, Thurman Thomas fumbled the ball and Scott Mersereau recovered for the Jets at the 30-yard line. The Jets conducted a 10 play drive to from there to try and win the game.

We join the game at the two minute warning – the Jets have the ball on the 50-yard line:

Fred Smerlas gets an unassisted sack on Pat Ryan

Jets – short pass to the Bills 46

Jets – incomplete to Johnny Hector

Jets – First down pass to Freeman McNeil – Bills 32 - 1:24 Left

Jets – Short pass to McNeil – Bills 29 (2nd & 6) Jets Time Out

Jets – Short Pass to Hector – Bills 23

Bills Call TO with 25 seconds left

Pat Leahy, up to this moment had made 47 of 49 from inside the 40-yard line. He’s at the 40. The kick is up – and meets Fred Smerlas’s left hand. Nate Odomes recovers the ball and is out of bounds at the 30-yard line. There are 19 seconds left.

Fred said, “The field goal before, they left a little gap on my side. I figured if I turned sideways a little bit, I could squeeze through and maybe get the ball. I had a strange feeling we were going to block it. It’s just something about this team.”

The Bills go for broke – Jim Kelly throws the ball all the way to the Jets 6-7 yard line.

A stretching Andre Reed had split the Jets secondary and was in FRONT of the three Jets defenders, touched the ball with BOTH hands and came up empty with 11 seconds still on the clock.

The Bills go to OT – The Jets win the toss – The Bills kickoff –

On the second play from scrimmage, Derrick Burroughs separates Roger Vick from the football and Cornelius Bennett recovers the ball for the Bills at the Jets 32-yard line.

Thurman Thomas had left the game on a bad ankle – so:

# 40 – “Fourth & Riddick” - (as he was known) ran down the game.

Robb made four straight runs –

First to the 29-yard line

On the next play – behind the tandem blocks of Joe Devlin and Tim Vogler – to the 19

Next play to the 15 (two hands on the ball)

Robb Riddick to the 12

At 3:47 in the OT period, Scott Norwood came onto the field, Dale Hellestrae made the snap, John Kidd was the holder and the kick was good.

For the sixth time this season, Scott Norwood had settled a game for the Bills.

The Buffalo Bills score win their first AFC East Division since 1980 !

Despite repeated warnings over the PA system, many fans invade the field. The goalpost at the scoreboard end of the field (where the winning FG was kicked) is quickly bent over and separated from the field surface. After a few more minutes – the tunnel goal post suffers the same fate (despite 100 additional rent-a-cops). One piece makes its’ way up the stands to Mr. Wilson’s box – he accepts.

Ralph says, “It used to be the fans threw programs at me, now they’re asking me to sign them. I’ve been around football for a long time, but this has to be the greatest turnaround I’ve ever seen. There’s no comparison between this team and 1980. The 1980 team got better gradually. This just happened. Two years ago, this team was 4-12.”

82 Bills/Jets Wildcard.  Charles Romes opens the game with a blast. Bill Simpson saves the day after the Bills blow a big lead.

476695[/snapback]

Some details of what you speak -

Bills step out to a 24-0 lead started by Charles Rome scoring 26 yards after Bruce Harper fumbles the opening kickoff (16 seconds). Frank Lewis caught two TD's (50 & 26 yards) and Nick Mike-Mayer added a 29-yd FG for the 24-0 lead. The Jets scored 10 before halftime - score 24-10.

24-13 - end of third Q

Joe Cribbs scores for 31-13

Richard Todd hits Bobby Jones for a 30 yd TD - 31-20

Kevin Long scores a one-yard TD after a big interference call on Mario Clark wipes out a Bills INT.

31-27

Buffalo can not generate a first down andf the Jets get the ball with 2:36 left

With 10 seconds left the Jets are on the Bills 10 and on 2nd & 10, Bill Simpson steps in front of Derrick Gaffney in the end zone to seal the deal.

The Bills move onto Cincinnati

I was at the MNF game in 1992 at the Meadowlands against the Jets when Browning Nagle and the Jets had a lead late and Kelly marched the team right down the field with under 2:00 minutes to go for the winning TD...and as I walked out of the stadium going beserk...I got pelted with pretzels, ice, and even a cup!!!

I was at the MNF game in 1992 at the Meadowlands against the Jets when Browning Nagle and the Jets had a lead late and Kelly marched the team right down the field with under 2:00 minutes to go for the winning TD...and as I walked out of the stadium going beserk...I got pelted with pretzels, ice, and even a cup!!!

476720[/snapback]

JK to Thurman 12-yd TD pass with 51 seconds left. JK and crew had moved the ball 75 yards in 51 seconds

10th staright victory over the Jets

Xcellent !

My favorite was the Bills last trip to Shea Stadium, in 1983.  Joe Cribbs catches a 30 pass and dives into the end zone for the winning TD in the final minute.  I was sitting in the corner of the end zone where he scored.

476748[/snapback]

The play was 90 double delay. Jets Lance Mehl, a tackling machine against the run, drew the impossible task of covering Cribbs.

Loved gloating about it when I lived on Strong Island.

I saw the last game ever at Shea that year when the ancient Steelers came to town. We carried seats back home on the train.

I was at that game..Still have the ticket stub...and yes I stormed the field...FANDAMONIUM!

476703[/snapback]

I wasn't on the field , but one of the uprights came through our section (aisle C6 in the old system) before it was taken into the parking lot. I got my hands on it!

88...  i have the field goal play and the aftermath.

476759[/snapback]

I already have the whole game plus the aftermath on the PC - just waiting to figure out what software will allow the 2:37 on a CD

Consultants are being called

Wes Goforth looks like a HS kid !

One that always sticks with me was the game in 1991 (I am fairly certain) where the Bills rallied in the waining moments, to beat the Jets in a very hard faught game. The Bills were down by 4 pts, and got the ball back with about 2 minutes left, no timeouts, at their own 20. Kelly compelted about 3 or 4 passes to Andre Reed, and Buffalo got the ball down to the Jets 10 or so, with time ticking. I still remember, Kelly snapping the ball, looking to Reed (right corner of the endzone- covered), and then to Metzelaars in the middle, also well covered. The key was, the "immobile" Kelly was dropping back, and to his left, the whole time he was looking to the right for one of his studs. As the defense was closing in on him, he zings one in the endzone to Jamie Mueller, who was persistant, and managed to get open in the left side of the endzone....Bills win!!!! If I remember correctly, it was Muellers first reception of that season, and the first TD reception of his carreer.

What made it so special for me was not only did the Bills win, but it embodied everyting specail about the Bills of the early 9O's. Also, I had just moved to Austin a few days earlier, my girlfriend and I were unpacking what little we had (living on love!). We had no television, except a crappy little 12 inch black and white. When I realized the Bills were going to be on regular tv, my first weekend in my new town, I hooked the little portable up to the "free cable" outlet, and got a crystal clear, black and white picture....the last time I had used that tv, was when I was grounded, and forced to clean the basement by my dad, in the 70's. It was a Saturday afternoon, and Evil Kenivel was jumping the Snake River Cannon. I plugged it in and watched. I still have that tv, btw, tucked away in the closet, old school Buffalo Sabres and Boston Celtics logos stuck to it...I digress...