Best argument for college replay.

AJ1

the 2 or 3 yrd line.  Those refs had no idea where the ball even was.  Talking USC/Notre Dame of course.

476681[/snapback]

If the the ref saw the ball go out of bounds, then you spot it at the 3. If he didn't then, the clock doesn't stop. Great game but too bad it ended on that play.

Clock stops when the ball lands out of bounds

476728[/snapback]

That's not in dispute. His comment was that the ball shouldn't have been spotted where Leinart was stopped (one foot line), but rather where the fumbled ball was when it went out of bounds. It appeared as though the ball went backwards after Leinart was hit.

Ball should have been spotted at the 3 yard line, not inside the one. One of the best games that I have ever seen and it's decided by the refs. That's just sad. I am sick and tired of games being decided by referees. There should have been instant replay. Why did USC get to choose whether or not there was reply or not? Good choice by Pete Carroll because it gave them the game.

I have a better idea. On 4th and 9, don't give up a 61 yard play.

476833[/snapback]

there you go again! blaming norwood!

just kidding

yeah, if that defender sticks his hands up like he's supposed to in tight coverage, that ball gets deflected and ND kneels down.

I have a better idea. On 4th and 9, don't give up a 61 yard play.

476833[/snapback]

That one hurt. Even if they give up the first down and protect against the YAC, SC still has a long way to go with no timeouts.

As for the out of bounds play, the spot doesn't bother me so much as does the fact that the refs didn't even appear to discuss it amongst themselves to get it right. As soon as the field was cleared, they had the ball ready for play and let SC get right on the ball. Why not take a minute in the middle of the chaos to make sure you've done everything correctly?

Spotting the ball on the 3 would have dramatically changed USC's strategy for the last play, no doubt about it. I think they would have gone for the tie - and then it's a whole new ball game.

I have a question for some of you more knowledgeable fans: Pete Carroll did that "we're gonna spike the ball" motion and I knew we was trying to dupe the defense... didn't he do that once when he coached in the NFL against the Jets or Dolphins? I distinctly remember something like that but I can't recall the teams now. Oh, and did I mention that I LOATHE Pete Carroll?

One more thought about the Notre Dame game: at the next pep rally for the Irish, I think they should ceremoniously BURN and BURY those frickin' green jerseys!!!!!

Okay, now I have a NCAA football rules question in regard to the Penn State game. On the last Michigan drive, a receiver caught the ball with his toe in bounds while his heel subsequently came down squarely on the line. The announcers said because his toe came down in bounds first, it's a catch. I think that's a flaming pile of monkey crap! In college football, a receiver has to get ONE FOOT in bounds - since when is the heel not a part of a foot? If the announcers' explanation is correct, how many fractions of a second can pass between the time the toe hits IN bounds and the heel lands OUT of bounds? You can always make the argument that the toe hit the ground first! BTW, there was no replay on that play either.

I have a question for some of you more knowledgeable fans: Pete Carroll did that "we're gonna spike the ball" motion and I knew we was trying to dupe the defense... didn't he do that once when he coached in the NFL against the Jets or Dolphins? I distinctly remember something like that but I can't recall the teams now. Oh, and did I mention that I LOATHE Pete Carroll?

The only 'fake spike' I remember was Marino v. the Jets and I thought he did it all by himself. The suggestion (on ESPN this AM) that Carroll pulled off some trickery is absurd. No one in the entire friggin stadium believed that USC was going to spike the ball from the one foot line. Obviously ND didn't since they stopped Leinart's initial drive for the goal.

I'd like to punch Pete Carroll in the face.

One more thought about the Notre Dame game: at the next pep rally for the Irish, I think they should ceremoniously BURN and BURY those frickin' green jerseys!!!!!

476930[/snapback]

On the contrary, it was the Dolphins who did that to the Jets up at Giants Stadium when Marino motioned they were going to spike it, they went ahead and threw a TD, KD in CT is correct ...

As far as the Green jerseys, I agree. When the Irish came onto the field I thought the Trojans were playing Baylor

:huh:

the 2 or 3 yrd line.  Those refs had no idea where the ball was even.  Talking USC/Notre Dame of course.

476681[/snapback]

Replay stinks- no replay in college, no replay in baseball- since I've taken care of those 2 for the most part, I'll get to the NFL next

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.