UB Football...it's official

Not that we needed any proof, but this week UB is officially the #119 ranked team out of 119 Div.1-A football programs.

National ranking

Here's a thought, With things coming apart for the Saints, you think Jim Haslett would be interested in returning to Western New York to resucitate UB Football? I'm sure his wife (a WNY native) has had about enough of N.O.

PTR

Here's a thought,  With things coming apart for the Saints, you think Jim Haslett would be interested in returning to Western New York to resucitate UB Football?  I'm sure his wife (a WNY native) has had about enough of N.O.

473654[/snapback]

Maybe as our new defensive coordinator next year. I doubt he'd want to undertake such an awful program like UB. It would be interesting and great for UB if he did. There's no saving UB. I don't even think the problem is all coaching right now. We may see the Wildkats of ECC vs UB soon. :blink:

Not that we needed any proof, but this week UB is officially the #119 ranked team out of 119 Div.1-A football programs. 

National ranking

Here's a thought,  With things coming apart for the Saints, you think Jim Haslett would be interested in returning to Western New York to resucitate UB Football?  I'm sure his wife (a WNY native) has had about enough of N.O.

PTR

473654[/snapback]

I saw them play a few years back before they became 1-A. I think they squeaked one out against some dental school from PA if I'm not mistaken.

-They haven't improved I see.

Check their recruiting budget vs. the other MAC schools - they've been trying to field a D-I team on a D-II payroll. Until that changes, don't expect them to get much better....

Check their recruiting budget vs. the other MAC schools - they've been trying to field a D-I team on a D-II payroll. Until that changes, don't expect them to get much better....

473665[/snapback]

Actually, they did recently increase the budget, put down a new field, upgraded the facilities at the stadium ( weight room, locker room etc.) . Recruits used to walk in, see the lack of facilities and walk out, never to return. Seems the new AD wants to get the program moving.

He doesn't have to worry about basketball. They got that right by hiring Reggie Witherspoon a few years back. He turned that program into a winner pretty fast.

Jim Hofner is in over his head on the football side. They have never shown one instance of getting better in his 5 years. He was extended a year to 2006 for recruiting purposes last spring but an 0-11 season may be happening in East Amherst. If so, he's got to go. It's a nice 30,000 seat stadium and the locals would love to get behind them. The AD has to know this and should make a move.

I got all fired up because on the crawler on the bottom of the Miami/Duke game, it said Akron 13 Buffalo 14. I figured they must have gone nuts up there. Then the crawler changed to Akron 13/ Buffalo 7.

Bummer.

Hofher's coaching tenure at UB is winding down. NO way they keep him after another crummy season. The new AD will want to make his own hire and start fresh. UB has upgraded some aspects of football facilities but they still have a ways to go. Another obstacle...Other MAC schools can also promise kids some TV games and UB can't do that right now. That's a big sell. Not until they have some wins under their belt. The kid QB Willy looks like he could be decent so maybe that's a start to a better future.

473665[/snapback]

I've seen it reported in the Buffalo News that the UB football program is "underfunded", but I've never seen the numbers to back this up. It would be nice if the writer who covers UB for the News did an article on this. Real simple....obtain the football budgets from each MAC school and let the public decide if UB is "underfunded" and by how much .

Actually, they did recently increase the budget, put down a new field, upgraded the facilities at the stadium ( weight room, locker room etc.) . Recruits used to walk in, see the lack of facilities and walk out, never to return. Seems the new AD wants to get the program moving.

He doesn't have to worry about basketball. They got that right by hiring Reggie Witherspoon a few years back. He turned that program into a winner pretty fast.

Jim Hofner is in over his head on the football side. They have never shown one instance of getting better in his 5 years. He was extended a year to 2006 for recruiting purposes last spring but an 0-11 season may be happening in East Amherst. If so, he's got to go. It's a nice 30,000 seat stadium and the locals would love to get behind them. The AD has to know this and should make a move.

473671[/snapback]

Mark...excellent summary of the situation. Bringing in the new AD was the first step in trying to turn this program around. I think he brings a big school mentality in, which is what we need. I agree that Hofner is out, and I hope that the AD can excercise some of his Big Ten contacts into bringing a reputable and experienced coach in.

Recruiting has to start at home first. Update NY and western PA generate some pretty decent players, so keeping some of them home is the first step.

This program could succeed if the right people are put into place. The first step is to replace Hofner with someone who can get some decent kids in here.

I have a feeling the new coach will be a Michigan Assistant.  The new AD is from U of MI. 

It is coaching and recruiting.  Given the right coach this program will be back to 4 wins a season soon.

473657[/snapback]

I appreciate the optimism but that just isn't realistic. 4 Wins? Pretty pathetic standards but I know what you're saying. We have to start somewhere. Problem is we haven't even STARTED yet. I'll have to see a glance of progress before I assume we'll start recruiting better and picking better coaches. It's been the same old story since we came to D-1.

No one wants to come to UB and it's a shame. I wish we did have a somewhat competitive team because I've just started to really enjoy college football. Notre Dame is a blast to watch. As is USC, Texas, Michigan, Miami and a few others. Obviously those are huge programs and we'll seemingly never come close to those programs but maybe by the time i'm 100 we'll have some good games with Marshall.

The sad thing too is that its obvious the Big East is down from a football standpoint. If UB had developed an even halfway decent program, they might have been able to join the Big East this past season like USF, Louisville and Cincinnati did.

And look at the rise of the UConn football program. It was obviously helped by the prominence and success of the basketball programs, but still...

I don't think any coach will have sustained success at UB. The program is a joke, the school's campus bland at best, but ugly is an accurate word, and the weather here sucks. It's easy to say "Pick up the scraps left behind down in Florida and Texas," but how do you get them to come here? There are probably 200 schools between here and there that these kids would rather attend.

Omar Jacobs is the star QB for Bowling Green. He was mentioned as a possible dark horse Heisman candidate before this season started. He is from DelRay Beach, FL, and was lightly recruited. He narrowed his college choices to UB and Bowling Green. UB brought him up here in December 2002, and the sky dumped 7 feet of snow on Buffalo. Surprise surprise...This kid will be playing QB for Bowling Green against UB this Saturday.

I play hoops every Tuesday night in Alumni Arena. Just walking around the halls in there, the facilities are second-rate. I'm not sure they will ever be able to recruit.

Another thing to think about is the overal lquality of high school football players in the immediate area. Here at Miami U, we get a bunch of the good players that dont get scholarships to OSU, Michigan, etc. I'm from WNY but since I've been going to school here in Ohio, it's very obvious that the quality of high school football here is way above that of WNY. The best big school teams from WNY could probably get worked by some of the smaller division teams here. They're sure as hell serious about their football in Ohio.