corrupt cops

meazza

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051011/ap_on_...s_taped_beating

this is just wrong

472756[/snapback]

That was it? :pirate:

From all the hand wringing I presumed that the cops were billyclubing him for all they were worth. It looks to me like a very typical arrest where the subject is clearly resisting and the cops are using adequate force to subdue him.

But of course since the national media loves to make a spectacle out of such "beating" events before anyone knows what happened, we usually end up with a witch hunt on cops rather than an evaluation of the facts in the case.

That was it?  <_<

From all the hand wringing I presumed that the cops were billyclubing him for all they were worth.  It looks to me like a very typical arrest where the subject is clearly resisting and the cops are using adequate force to subdue him.

But of course since the national media loves to make a spectacle out of such "beating" events before anyone knows what happened, we usually end up with a witch hunt on cops rather than an evaluation of the facts in the case.

472863[/snapback]

Have you not seen the video? He was pummeled and afterward, handcuffed with his hands behind him while a pool of blood formed around his head.

He didn't resist at all - other than trying to cover up as the 3 cops beat him. The cops were wrong, and they knew it, which is why they assaulted a credentialed reporter who was recording the beating.

Talk about not evaluating the facts of the case, you're right, it is easier to rush to judgment. Just blame the victim... :pirate:

Watch the video.

Have you not seen the video?  He was pummeled and afterward, handcuffed with his hands behind him while a pool of blood formed around his head.

He didn't resist at all - other than trying to cover up as the 3 cops beat him.  The cops were wrong, and they knew it, which is why they assaulted a credentialed reporter who was recording the beating. 

Talk about not evaluating the facts of the case, you're right, it is easier to rush to judgment.  Just blame the victim... :pirate:

Watch the video.

473095[/snapback]

I did watch the video. The video I saw showed no pummeling, just a phsyical arrest. Maybe I saw an edited version? Please post the blood and gore version if you have it.

I did watch the video.  The video I saw showed no pummeling, just a phsyical arrest.  Maybe I saw an edited version?  Please post the blood and gore version if you have it.

473116[/snapback]

I don't have time to find it for you. It was on Drudge yesterday, and it linked to the AP site. They had video and a few stills. There was a ton of blood pooled around the guy. It was a pretty severe beating, man. Not an exaggeration.

I don't have time to find it for you.  It was on Drudge yesterday, and it linked to the AP site.  They had video and a few stills.  There was a ton of blood pooled around the guy.  It was a pretty severe beating, man.  Not an exaggeration.

473182[/snapback]

I'll look for it later. If that's so, it sounds a lot worse than the video I saw.

Thanks.

I'll look for it later.  If that's so, it sounds a lot worse than the video I saw.

Thanks.

473188[/snapback]

My post above probably read harsher than I intended, forgive me for that.

The thing is, the guy's a 64 year-old retired school teacher who was interrupted when asking a mounted cop what time the curfew was - he was back in town checking on his property for the first time since the storm. Another cop started insulting him while he was speaking to the mounted cop, and the educator got the best of him, he told the interrupting cop he was being rude and unprofessional. He was then spun around, handcuffed, and punched in the back of the head and neck several times driving his face into the brick wall of the building they had him "lean and spread 'em" against when he was cuffed.

As for being drunk, the guy quit drinking 25 years ago! :doh:

It would be interesting to know what media outlet showed an "edited" version.

473348[/snapback]

Just about every network (or at least NBC, FOX News, CNN, and ABC) have shown the take-down in their teasers, so it's possible KD saw it on any one of those.

My post above probably read harsher than I intended, forgive me for that.

The thing is, the guy's a 64 year-old retired school teacher who was interrupted when asking a mounted cop what time the curfew was - he was back in town checking on his property for the first time since the storm.  Another cop started insulting him while he was speaking to the mounted cop, and the educator got the best of him, he told the interrupting cop he was being rude and unprofessional.  He was then spun around, handcuffed, and punched in the back of the head and neck several times driving his face into the brick wall of the building they had him "lean and spread 'em" against when he was cuffed.

As for being drunk, the guy quit drinking 25 years ago! :doh:

473360[/snapback]

The guy says he quit drinking 25 years ago. I'll assume the rest of your post is accurate, as it is captured on film (which I haven't seen yet), and I'll even stipulate the guy was sober when assaulted...but we can't know he truly quit drinking, we can only assume he's telling the truth. Or lying.

The guy says he quit drinking 25 years ago.  I'll assume the rest of your post is accurate, as it is captured on film (which I haven't seen yet), and I'll even stipulate the guy was sober when assaulted...but we can't know he truly quit drinking, we can only assume he's telling the truth.  Or lying.

473380[/snapback]

Unless he really was drunk, then he wouldn't be lying, he'd just be mistaken, and that's not really lying, so we can trust him when he says he hadn't had a drink in 25 years. :doh:

He was then spun around, handcuffed, and punched in the back of the head and neck several times driving his face into the brick wall of the building they had him "lean and spread 'em" against when he was cuffed.

473360[/snapback]

Early on in the tape, when they have hhim against the building, the police horse was in the way and as it backed up, you could see the guy wide-eyed, probably thinking "WTF?" but otherwise nonagressive. And then the punching starts.

The guy says he doesn't think, or at least hopes, it was not racially motivated. I don't think it was. But it was way overboard. The officers involved have been charged with "simple battery" so far; they should be charged with assault.

Also, why is the thread title describe them as "corrupt"? Corruption in the common vernacular and especially in this sense, implies bribes, etc.

Early on in the tape, when they have hhim against the building, the police horse was in the way and as it backed up, you could see the guy wide-eyed, probably thinking "WTF?" but otherwise nonagressive. And then the punching starts.

The guy says he doesn't think, or at least hopes, it was not racially motivated. I don't think it was. But it was way overboard. The officers involved have been charged with "simple battery" so far; they should be charged with assault.

Also, why is the thread title describe them as "corrupt"? Corruption in the common vernacular and especially in this sense, implies bribes, etc.

473448[/snapback]

I don't want to be a law snob here but an assault is the threat of a physical touching where as a battery is defined as an offensive touching upon another person.

sorry i just used the word corrupt.. dunno.. just pisses me off to see people who are entrusted to serve and protect gang up and beat up a man

its just not right and these people should face the same punishment as a regular citizen beating up a person like this

Why would they show it... they choose not to show those Islamic nut jobs sawing the heads off of Americans.  :blink:

473664[/snapback]

Maybe because it happen IN the United States of America!

Further it was really nice to see a young women come up to the "attack" and repeatedly tell the police that they were out of line, that the man was not doing anything wrong and they just pushed her away, all the while the mounted police officer kept moving his horse in front of the camera's view. Then a cop attacks an AP TV producer and boldly exclaims his name and badge number.

I am certain the NO police have gone through hell and back, however, so have the citizens, like this "victim". With that said this force does not have the greatest reputation (understated) but this was just plain wrong.

i dont have that version

but i saw it on cnn

the guy was spitting blood and the cops were punching him in back of the head

473153[/snapback]

Say no more. Did CNN somehow superimpose President Bush in the video as well?

The guy lifted three cops at once! His head was bloodied after he went nuts and had to be thrown to the ground to be restrained. The guy deserved what he got.