Looking at Thuman's numbers

Campy

As some of you already know, I serve as webmaster for our Backers club's website (BillsBackersofVirginia.com). I wrote an article last night about Thurman, and honestly, I forgot how good how dominating he was but man, he has some pretty gaudy credentials.

An excerpt of the article I wrote:

Whether it was a pitch out, an inside run, a shovel pass, screen pass, or a delayed handoff out of the shotgun, Thomas led the league a record four consecutive seasons in total yards from scrimmage. He is one of only three NFL running backs to have over 400 receptions and 10,000 yards rushing (Marcus Allen and Walter Payton are the other two). He is fourth all time in Bills scoring, and first in career rushing yards as a Bill, gaining 11,938 yards.

He was the AFC rushing leader in 1990, 1991, and 1993, and was selected to play in 5 straight Pro Bowls from 1989-1993. Thomas was also the NFL Player of the Year in 1991. One of the things that Bills fans will long remember Thurman for was his play in big games. In addition to being a “Dolphin-killer,” Thomas also set NFL playoff records for most career points (126), touchdowns (21), and consecutive playoff games with a touchdown (9) during his tenure with the Bills.

For those of so inclined, the full article is here.

Thurm becomes eligible for the Hall in '06. Does he get in?

He deserves to get in as much as any player on any of our Super Bowl teams.

Without his versatility, the K-gun would not have been as succesful as it was. He could run, catch, and also pass block.

He was the best all round back that the Bills have ever had -- and that is saying a lot, because we have had some pretty good backs.

That would really really really really really suck. ;)

471932[/snapback]

It might boil down to who else is in the eligible class.

I'll try to look it up later. But if someone with more free time than brain cells on their hands maybe they could do it first.

Good Place to Start Looking

Hey, here's a neat Joe D. linky from that very same Hall.

Joe DeLamielleure Answers Emails!

As some of you already know, I serve as webmaster for our Backers club's website (BillsBackersofVirginia.com).  I wrote an article last night about Thurman, and honestly, I forgot how good how dominating he was but man, he has some pretty gaudy credentials.

An excerpt of the article I wrote:

Thurm becomes eligible for the Hall in '06.  Does he get in?

471893[/snapback]

Here is who he is up against:

Troy Aikman

Warren Moon

Andre Reed

Deion Sanders

Reggie White

TT will make it before Reed, but Aikman, Sanders and White make it before TT.

Also up: John Madden as a senior candidate.

Thurm becomes eligible for the Hall in '06.  Does he get in?

471893[/snapback]

Good article. Reminds me of the one posted a number of years ago in NFL Talk.

Reprined with permision: http://members.cox.net/billswatch/tt.html

NFL Hall of Fame is a tricky thing. Players who do deserve to go in may not get in because a couple of writers who vote for it were embarrassed by statements they made by player and do not want to revisit it, writers pushing local players, combination of players eligible that year or new voters who did not see the player in person.

Whether Thurman gets in or not on first ballet depends on who else is on ballot and that we will not see for a few months.

Troy Aikman

Warren Moon

Andre Reed

Deion Sanders

Reggie White

471952[/snapback]

I agree with you, but I think Aikman was a mediocre-to-barely above average QB with a stellar OL, RB, and WR. The thought of him making into the Hall before Thurm turns my stomach...

I agree with you, but I think Aikman was a mediocre-to-barely above average QB with a stellar OL, RB, and WR.  The thought of him making into the Hall before Thurm turns my stomach...

471980[/snapback]

I agree, but he will still be a first ballot HOF'er. I do not think that there are other "name" people this year to bump him to next year. It is as much a popularity contest as anything else.

With yesterdays induction I was thinking back to how much of a thrill it was watching TT playing at Rich stadium. Every time he touched the ball it was electric because a huge play was possible. I think he gets in first ballot but of course I am biased as hell!!!

Troy Aikman

Warren Moon

Andre Reed

Deion Sanders

Reggie White

471952[/snapback]

Sanders can't be up this year, since he played for the Ravens last year. Doesn't that reset his 5-year counter?

CW

Troy Aikman

Warren Moon

Andre Reed

Deion Sanders

Reggie White

471952[/snapback]

I think that Derrick Thomas is also eligible this year. I think he and Reggie White are locks.

Also... do you mean Barry Sanders? I didn't think Deion eligible since he was playing last year.

I'm hoping Thurman gets in 1st ballot... my first trip to Canton will be for his enshrinment.