refs in nfl suck

valle7878

I have Direct TV and have Sunday ticket and you watch little bits of each game while the Bills game is in commercials and every team gets screwed by the referees it's a shame that there ref's in the NFL. Even College Refs are better. The worst ref is TOM WHITE sec by ED HOCULI what a bumb each are. I beet the longest game each week is refed by ED HOCUULI and its a shame that they don't fine them for making bad calls. I say suspend them if they make bad calls. THEY SUCK ANYWAYS SO WHO CARES. HIRE NEW ONES NFL!!!!!

I have Direct TV and have Sunday ticket and you watch little bits of each game while the Bills game is in commercials and every team gets screwed by the referees it's a shame that there ref's in the NFL.  Even College Refs are better.  The worst ref is TOM WHITE sec by ED HOCULI what a bumb each are.  I beet the longest game each week is refed by ED HOCUULI and its a shame that they don't fine them for making bad calls.  I say suspend them if they make bad calls.  THEY SUCK ANYWAYS SO WHO CARES.  HIRE NEW ONES NFL!!!!!

471526[/snapback]

Try being a ref at the highschool level and you'll gain a greater appreciation for what the refs do. I can point you in the right direction if you're interested.

Overall, the refs do a great job with the games. Yes, they miss stuff, it happens. Moulds dropping a pass is no different than the ref missing a call - they're only human, and you'll never find a ref that is correct 100% of the time. Doesn't happen.

Where I find fault is when it seems that the league is trying to help one team win over another. The "Just give it to 'em" game, for example. The first rule you learn as an official is, "If you didn't see it yourself, then it didn't happen." You may think someone was facemasked or held, but unless you saw the infraction, you don't throw the flag. You may think the guy got a first down, but if you didn't see it, it didn't happen. That's what I was taught when I started out (and the guy I worked with at the highschool level is/was an official for Big10 games, as well as smaller college games so I think he knows what he's talking about).

Oh, and the refs DO get fined for making mistakes.

CW

After yesterdays games, I'm beginning to wonder if the fix is in....

I'm not even talking about the Bills game, about which I'm obviously biased. I also watched the Ravens-Lions, and I really think they had it in for the Ravens. They stopped the Lions about 8 consecutive plays inside the 5, and on the first 4th down there was a questionable penalty and on the second they called it in when I couldn't see how... Plus Ravens were being ejected and flagged left and right.

Then I watched the Redskins-Broncos, and I thought the officiating in the last 5 minutes was atrocious. Every time the Redskins failed on fourth they would keep the drive alive with a dubious downfield penalty - it's like they were doing everything possible to give Gibbs the win.

I'm really beginning to wonder.

Back down on the refs a bit there. There are 7 on the field and 22 players. Their eyes can't be on every player.

Also, the refs are not fined for mistakes. They are graded after each game. Those grades are then used to determine playoff and SB assignments.

If you think it is easy - get involved at the HS level and work your way up to NFL.

I have Direct TV and have Sunday ticket and you watch little bits of each game while the Bills game is in commercials and every team gets screwed by the referees it's a shame that there ref's in the NFL.  Even College Refs are better.  The worst ref is TOM WHITE sec by ED HOCULI what a bumb each are.  I beet the longest game each week is refed by ED HOCUULI and its a shame that they don't fine them for making bad calls.  I say suspend them if they make bad calls.  THEY SUCK ANYWAYS SO WHO CARES.  HIRE NEW ONES NFL!!!!!

471526[/snapback]

The referees and the members of their crews are graded after each and every game. You can bet that the officials that grade out the poorest at the end of each year are either replaced and/or "put on notice".

PS What does the length of the game have to do with anything? Who cares if Ed Hoculi is involved in the longest game each week?

The first rule you learn as an official is, "If you didn't see it yourself, then it didn't happen." 

471551[/snapback]

Then apparently offensive holding never, ever, ever happens. There were at least six times holding could have been called against Miami yesterday...and I assume there were about as many missed against the Bills' o-line.

Back down on the refs a bit there.  There are 7 on the field and 22 players.  Their eyes can't be on every player.

Also, the refs are not fined for mistakes.    They are graded after each game.  Those grades are then used to determine playoff and SB assignments.

If you think it is easy - get involved at the HS level and work your way up to NFL.

471664[/snapback]

I don't fault the refs for making mistakes - in fact, I think we need to get away from this obsession that the ref has to catch every call, and get it right.

I'm more troubled by the perception that the refs are handing a game to one team or another. Common sense say's that it's nonsense, but the NFL is after all a business who does better when certain markets dominate.

Redskins-Steelers Superbowl: great for the next television contract.

Seahawks-Bengals Superbowl: not so great.

The dollar difference in those two lineups and the accompanying playoff ratings (were this the year going into television renegotiation) could be easily be $100 million for the league.

Then apparently offensive holding never, ever, ever happens.  There were at least six times holding could have been called against Miami yesterday...and I assume there were about as many missed against the Bills' o-line.

471681[/snapback]

IT LIVES!

How was M....the place? Was Michelle there? I was going to come down at the half, and ended up flipping between the race and the game.

I agree with the first post, the NFL is a muti-billion dollar industry that owes it's customers more than a bunch of old, out of shape men determining which team wins!!!

I know it has been brought up before but I think it's high time for the leauge to spend a little mony and hire full time refs to do more than show up and put in there time! I'm 49 and realize I don't move as fast as I used to and can barely see, I can only guess what problems those 70 year olds have!

So they get a long vacation, who cares!

It's time to get some young guys who can keep up with the game and you don't have to worry as much if they're going to live if hit along the sidelines.

I have to admit that guy was pretty tough for an OLD Man! ;0)

I don't think the refs suck per se. I think they are bogged down by rules and technicalities in a super fast paced game. I wish they would simplify the rules a bit and let them use their judgement instead of being bound by new crap like "the tuck rule" "football motion" and 100s of other itty bitty details added over the last few years.

College refs suck too.....bottom line is that they can only watch the play, and therefore miss alot of the stuff that goes on away from the play. This means holds and facemasks.

I was at the Tenn-Georgia game on Sat, and those refs blew calls that were right in front of them. Refs are human, and they miss calls. Unfortunately, if your team gets a bad crew, one that calls penalties on tactics you use, you are screwed. If you teach your OL to hold, and the refs are concentrating on looknig for holding, it will be a long day,

I agree with the first post, the NFL is a muti-billion dollar industry that owes it's customers more than a bunch of old, out of shape men determining which team wins!!! 

I know it has been brought up before but I think it's high time for the leauge to spend a little mony and hire full time refs to do more than show up and put in there time!  I'm 49 and realize I don't move as fast as I used to and can barely see, I can only guess what problems those 70 year olds have! 

So they get a long vacation, who cares! 

It's time to get some young guys who can keep up with the game and you don't have to worry as much if they're going to live if hit along the sidelines.

I have to admit that guy was pretty tough for an OLD Man! ;0)

471696[/snapback]

There's a reason most of the ref's are old and the NFL doesn't hire full time refs. The NFL only hires refs that are wealthy. This is the way they try to avoid gamblers tampering with the refs. The way the NFL figures it, if the refs already have money they're less likely to take a bribe.

As for the original post, I'm of the opinion that only blatantly obvious penalties should be called. The flags interrupt the flow of the game and get in the way of the players making plays. I don't want ticky-tack fouls to be called. Let the players determine the outcome of the games, not flags.

College refs suck too.....bottom line is that they can only watch the play, and therefore miss alot of the stuff that goes on away from the play.  This means holds and facemasks

Actually, the refs don't watch the play. The hardest part of being a ref (as I said, I did high school) is to learn to NOT follow the ball, and to only cover yoru area of responsibility. I did line judge a lot, and I had to learn not to watch the ball as it was thrown to a receiver, but instead of just watch the OL for holds, offsides, etc.

The refs also do a lot more than "just show up for the game." They're watching game film and such all week as well.

CW

Actually, the refs don't watch the play.  The hardest part of being a ref (as I said, I did high school) is to learn to NOT follow the ball, and to only cover yoru area of responsibility.  I did line judge a lot, and I had to learn not to watch the ball as it was thrown to a receiver, but instead of just watch the OL for holds, offsides, etc.

The refs also do a lot more than "just show up for the game."  They're watching game film and such all week as well.

CW

471723[/snapback]

Fez, you are correct...they should not watch the play, but that is what they do. Most refs do not do their job correctly.

471526[/snapback]

i have no problem w/the officiating.

Most refs do not do their job correctly.

471736[/snapback]

That is just BS. The reason everybody thinks the refs always screw up is because any mistake they make is broadcast to the universe. Imagine every time you made a mistake at work if every single person in the nation knew about it, you'd probably get a bad reputation too, even if you were excellent at your job.