refs in nfl suck

valle7878

Watch a College or Pro game.  You will see calls missed and incorrect calls made.  It is human nature.

471753[/snapback]

How does watching a college or pro game prove that they watch the play, and not their area of responsibility?

This is just silly talk.

Also - if you think you can do better, go become a High School ref. It's lots of fun (really).

CW

How does watching a college or pro game prove that they watch the play, and not their area of responsibility?

This is just silly talk.

Also - if you think you can do better, go become a High School ref.  It's lots of fun (really).

CW

471756[/snapback]

I did look into reffing HS games. Unfortunately here in MD we have too many murders at the HS football games, it is too dangerous to be at the games.

What I am saying is that it is TOUGH to see it all. But based on the calls missed, you know that the ref either did not see it, or was not looking where they were suppose to look.

Considering how "obvious" things look on TV, I propose the NFL add a "TV Judge" to their officiating crew. Along with the refs on the field, this new TV Judge will be seated on a Lazy-Boy recliner in the press box. To ensure maximum effectiveness, there will also be ample supplies of beer, chips, and salsa within arms reach.

When the TV Judge sees a questionable call, he will throw a special foam brick at his TV set that will notify the Head referee on the field. ;)

PTR

3 refs were planted into the turf yesterday including one in the Bills game. These guys are part time refs in their 50's and 60's. They can't keep up with the speed of today's NFL. The players are much bigger as well and it's tough to see everything going on with 350lb lineman blocking things. NFL needs younger, taller, faster refs that are full timers. That would cut down on the amount of missed/blown calls. I always wondered why someone's grandfather was in charge of costing teams games because he is old, slow and half blind.

3 refs were planted into the turf yesterday including one in the Bills game. These guys are part time refs in their 50's and 60's. They can't keep up with the speed of today's NFL. The players are much bigger as well and it's tough to see everything going on with 350lb lineman blocking things.  NFL needs younger, taller, faster refs that are full timers. That would cut down on the amount of missed/blown calls. I always wondered why someone's grandfather was in charge of costing teams games because he is old, slow and half blind.

471764[/snapback]

Maybe Miller Lite can train new NFL refs? "ROUGHING THE PALATE!!!"

PTR

I did look into reffing HS games. Unfortunately here in MD we have too many murders at the HS football games, it is too dangerous to be at the games.

Come on, if that was the case we would hear on the news that the state of MD is shutting down HS football. Right.

In the case of a fix being on, then there are a lot of conspiracies that you believe in.

There are numerous times when I have seen a ref get a call right in real time then to have have frame by frame replay show just how close the call actually was. It amazes me that they get as many calls correct as they do. However, I will say this that the roughing the passer call against the Bills in yesterday's game where the defender barely touched the qb and let up on his pursuit was one of the worst calls that I have seen all year. I am in favor of referees backing of a call if with consultation with another ref, they agree that the call should not stand. I also agree that calls do not have to be instantaneous if the ref takes a little time to replay what he saw and think about whether a foul actually took place. The refs in the pros are very good and they are substantially better than the refs in college.

Then I watched the Redskins-Broncos, and I thought the officiating in the last 5 minutes was atrocious.  Every time the Redskins failed on fourth they would keep the drive alive with a dubious downfield penalty - it's like they were doing everything possible to give Gibbs the win.

471655[/snapback]

BTW, did you hear Bill Mass refer to "the drive" by Elway taking place "on this field right here"? ;)

Am I crazy or was that game in Cleveland? What a dope.

Come on, if that was the case we would hear on the news that the state of MD is shutting down HS football. Right.

In the case of a fix being on, then there are a lot of conspiracies that you believe in.

471792[/snapback]

Here is the article from the Washington Post Site.

In Grief, Yearning for Violence Remedy

Officials, Parents Strategize as Md. Students Recall Stabbing Victim

By Lori Aratani and Nancy Trejos

Washington Post Staff Writers

Tuesday, September 27, 2005; Page B01

Students at Blake, Rockville and Sherwood high schools in Montgomery County returned to their schools yesterday to find patrol cars, police officers and grief counselors. Friday's stabbing after a high school football game left one 15-year-old student dead, another in custody, and a school system and community struggling to understand how they arrived at this moment.

"It's terrible," said Evan Levine, 18, a senior at James Hubert Blake High School, where Kanisha Neal, 15, was stabbed Friday night. "It shouldn't happen around here. It shouldn't happen anywhere."

Joyce Neal, left, the mother of slain Rockville High School student Kanisha Neal, tries to console Kanisha's brother Orlando "O.J." Neal yesterday in Rockville. Neal said her daughter "was just learning how to take responsibility" -- including helping her ill father on the last day of her life. (Michael Williamson / The Washington Post)

Slaying Suspect to Remain Detained

The 15-year-old accused of fatally stabbing a girl the same age after a football game in Silver Spring on Friday is a stellar student with no criminal history, her father and defense attorney said yesterday.

In August, a gang-related stabbing followed a summer school session at Springbrook High School in Silver Spring. Two weeks ago, Stephone Wiggins, 23, of Germantown was attacked off-campus after a football game at Seneca Valley High. And on Friday, Kanisha's stabbing, the first intentional killing of a student during a campus event in the school system's history, officials said.

A circuit court judge in Rockville decided yesterday that the 15-year-old suspect, a junior at Sherwood High School, will remain detained until her next hearing, set for Oct. 12. Authorities are not naming the girl because she has been charged as a juvenile.

Last night, school board members were subdued as they offered condolences to the families affected by Friday's killing. Superintendent Jerry D. Weast said he met with County Executive Douglas M. Duncan to talk about strategies for addressing the violence. He has also been in close contact with the chief of police, J. Thomas Manger.

Board members also expressed a determination to find solutions. "We need to do some very radical things here in Montgomery County to get to the root cause of the violence we see,'' said board member Valerie Ervin (Silver Spring). "We have a lot of work to do."

Dozens of parents attended a community forum at Sherwood High last night, and many had pointed questions for school administrators and law enforcement officials about security on school campuses.

"The writing is on the wall. We've heard a lot about gangs . . . ,'' said Cedric Barry, the father of a 10th-grader at Sherwood. "My question is, what is the atmosphere within the administration if a student feels threatened -- that they can come to you? That they can talk to you and get a response?"

Earlier in the day, students at Rockville High were more focused on remembering Kanisha. "She was a really nice, sweet girl," said Chloe Brown, 14, a freshman. "She was always kind. She never got into confrontations."

But Chloe also said that other students sometimes made fun of her. "They would say things to her because she was a big girl, and they would make fun of her because of that," she said.

Jacquelyn Richard, 15, and her sister Stephanie, 17, were in the parking lot with the rest of Blake's marching band Friday night when they saw a commotion.

Stephanie, a senior, said she saw a car hit Kanisha. At first, she said, she thought someone had a gun because of the sound the car made. "When she got hit, it made a bunch of loud bangs," she said. "I was really scared."