Willis

jayg

Too bad that last run was called back. Really would have made his numbers look good and hammered home the win. Is he not stiff-arming as much this season? Seemed like he did it more last year.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad that last run was called back. Really would have made his numbers look good and hammered home the win.  Is he not stiff-arming as much this season? Seemed like he did it more last year.

471171[/snapback]

It will be back...unless he was told not to use it,lower the shoulder and 2 hands on the ball?? maybe :D

Guest BackInDaDay
Too bad that last run was called back. Really would have made his numbers look good and hammered home the win.  Is he not stiff-arming as much this season? Seemed like he did it more last year.

471171[/snapback]

Used it against DBs trying to arm tackle him after he turned the corner.

We can't get him there this year.

471171[/snapback]

Josh Reed spoiled it for Willis (holding call). That wouldve looked great on the stat sheet and really hammered our victory home despite our lackluster performance in the 2nd half.

I just like seeing Willis getting over 100+ yards. That one wouldve put him over 120 easily. Folks, he's doing this with a below average offensive line. Imagine the possibilities with some real talent on that line.

Guest BackInDaDay
He certainly showed that he has most or all of his speed back.

471199[/snapback]

I'm didn't see the game.

Did he bounce anything outside today, or is he being contained between the OTs?

I'm didn't see the game.

Did he bounce anything outside today, or is he being contained between the OTs?

471212[/snapback]

That play he bounced outside, and went for about 55 yards but it got called back. He looked like he really turned the corner and then cut up field without going OB. Most of the time he was between the tackles or contained though.

Guest BackInDaDay
That play he bounced outside, and went for about 55 yards but it got called back. He looked like he really turned the corner and then cut up field without going OB. Most of the time he was between the tackles or contained though.

471217[/snapback]

Thanks. That's what I figured.

he looks slow compared to other backs for some reason...shaud williams looks like he gets shot out of a rocket on his carries...willis still does some dancing and then looks like he has the acceleration of a small korean car

471269[/snapback]

I was going to say the same thing...

I'm watching a bunch of different games today, including the Jacksonville one right now, and just about every other back seems to be MUCH faster...

Willis doesn't appear to have a burst, more of a power runner, much like Antowain Smith.

I don't know..Maybe I am being too critical, but the guy just doesn't impress me as an "ELITE" back.

I DOUBT he will be here past next year anyways...

Guest BackInDaDay
he looks slow compared to other backs for some reason...shaud williams looks like he gets shot out of a rocket on his carries...willis still does some dancing and then looks like he has the acceleration of a small korean car

471269[/snapback]

Willis McGahee's talent lies in his ability to 'feel' the movement of the line like a surfer following the rhythm of the waves. What appears to be a delay in his approach to the LOS is his feeling for that instance when he can throw himself into the flow. McNally's blocking schemes are probably designed to float him to the outside, where he creates a mis-match on CBs, or offer him lanes in which to cut back against the flow. The key word here is rhythm. When the O-line starts getting into one, then Willis catches onto it too. This is the best you can hope for.

It appears that our opponents are finding ways to block the flow to the outside. When the cut-back lanes aren't there, or are being plugged quickly, Willis has to decide where he can run. If you're seeing this it's because we haven't established any rhythm in our running game.

If you have been to any live games, you already know that Willis DOES have most of his speed back from college. Not all mind you, but he's plenty fast. He has a much longer stride than many backs you see in the league. His body type is much like Duece McAllister's.

Guest BackInDaDay
If you have been to any live games, you already know that Willis DOES have most of his speed back from college. Not all mind you, but he's plenty fast. He has a much longer stride than many backs you see in the league. His body type is much like Duece McAllister's.

471356[/snapback]

Respect your perspective, always. :D

I don't think his speed, or lack of, is the issue. We need to consistently move bodies for him to get off.

Josh Reed spoiled it for Willis (holding call). That wouldve looked great on the stat sheet and really hammered our victory home despite our lackluster performance in the 2nd half.

I just like seeing Willis getting over 100+ yards. That one wouldve put him over 120 easily. Folks, he's doing this with a below average offensive line. Imagine the possibilities with some real talent on that line.

471205[/snapback]

i disagree..i think this line is suited for running the football and not pass protection...i think they are helping willis out a great deal with their size and ability to move the line of scrimmage for him..in saying that, i wish he had some protection schemes for any qb to last more than 3 seconds in..but thats another topic..

Willis is not the same back he was in college. But that is OK. He has a completely different style now. He was more of a slasher and speed guy in college. But he is probably 15 pounds heavie now than in college, most of that being in additional muscle. He is more of a power back now. You have to remember that this guy is like 235. He has amazing speed for that size. Is he as fast as he was in college? NO. He used to run a 4.29 or somehting like that. He looks to be in the 4.4 range now, but that is great for a back of his size. I like the combination of size, speed and power we have now.

And, remember, this O-Line we have is terrible. If we ever get some quality linemen, you will see what he can do. But for now, I will take his 4.5 ypc and punishing running style.

I was going to say the same thing...

I'm watching a bunch of different games today, including the Jacksonville one right now, and just about every other back seems to be MUCH faster...

Willis doesn't appear to have a burst, more of a power runner, much like Antowain Smith.

I don't know..Maybe I am being too critical, but the guy just doesn't impress me as an "ELITE" back. 

I DOUBT he will be here past next year anyways...

471342[/snapback]

That's because he simply is not that fast, despite what all the homers here will tell you. He isn't even in the same league as other young guys like J.Jones, K.Jones, Tomlinson, etc. but that doesn't stop 90% of people here from overrating him and making constant excuses for him.

That's because he simply is not that fast, despite what all the homers here will tell you.  He isn't even in the same league as other young guys like J.Jones, K.Jones, Tomlinson, etc. but that doesn't stop 90% of people here from overrating him and making constant excuses for him.

471381[/snapback]

4.4 is about where he's at as mentioned, and that's faster than either of the 2 best running backs on the NFL's all time rushing list. I'll take it all day. Oh, and I see the definition of "homers" is "all people who disagree with flea17". :D

He looks slow because he is huge and runs different than any RB.

He obviously is moving fast, but he is carrying 15 extra LBS from his days in Miami.

I think he should drop 10-15 for next year if he want to be in that LT class, but right now he is a top 5-10 RB, not close to LT, Alexander, James, and IMO the most underrated RB in the NFL Tiki Barber.