Some Facts about Kelly Holcomb

AKC

It is clear to me that most of those who deplore this move are feeling this way due to leftover hatred for Bledsoe. JP was to be their shining star, their savior, brought to them by their icon, TD.

Agree?

468280[/snapback]

A false assumption. I was actually in favor of keeping Bledsoe here another year. But then again I thoguht Flutie was unfairly benched too. So I'm oblviously lower class citizenry.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is clear to me that most of those who deplore this move are feeling this way due to leftover hatred for Bledsoe. JP was to be their shining star, their savior, brought to them by their icon, TD.

Agree?

468280[/snapback]

I pretty much said as much in a different thread.

But I'm a little confused. Before it was all DB's fault, but now it's everybody's but Losman's fault?

Too bad Bledsoe was chased out of town because it should be pretty obvious that JP needs more seasoning before being handed the reigns to the offense. Another year on the bench would have served him well IMO, and the "addition by subtraction" theory again fails miserably.

It's that old idiom we all heard has kids - Be careful what you wish for, it might come true. Well the vocal Bledsoe bashers got their wish but their knight in shining armor is a spastic kid wrapped in tin foil. He might make a great knight one day, but right now he's in over his head.

But I'm a little confused.  Before it was all DB's fault, but now it's everybody's but Losman's fault?

Too bad Bledsoe was chased out of town because it should be pretty obvious that JP needs more seasoning before being handed the reigns to the offense.  Another year on the bench would have served him well IMO, and the "addition by subtraction" theory again fails miserably. 

It's that old idiom we all heard has kids - Be careful what you wish for, it might come true.  Well the vocal Bledsoe bashers got their wish but their knight in shining armor is a spastic kid wrapped in tin foil.  He might make a great knight one day, but right now he's in over his head.

468296[/snapback]

Bravo Campy! Well said.

A false assumption.  I was actually in favor of keeping Bledsoe here another year.  But then again I thoguht Flutie was unfairly benched too.  So I'm oblviously lower class citizenry.

468286[/snapback]

Right there with you Dan. I wanted them to go with Flutie, and I wanted them to keep Bledsoe this year. So you're on of the exceptions, but BillfromNYC has a valid point - the same posters who ripped on DB for everything also happen to be the largest critics of the benching. He threw out a blanket statement, and it doesn't apply to you, but there are many posters (dare I say the majority of those being critical) to whom it does.

And I totally agree. Sometimes you get what you wished for.

I was actually very much against the move to JP this season, for exactly this reason. But at some point this summer, I bought into it and decided that it may be for the best. If he has a decent year and we somehow manage to be 8-8. Then next year we're a playoff team. And that's what's sucking... is now we may never know if JP could have developed this year.

And I totally agree.  Sometimes you get what you wished for.

I was actually very much against the move to JP this season, for exactly this reason.  But at some point this summer, I bought into it and decided that it may be for the best.  If he has a decent year and we somehow manage to be 8-8.  Then next year we're a playoff team.  And that's what's sucking... is now we may never know if JP could have developed this year.

468310[/snapback]

In some way, we all bought into it. We are Bills Fans; we had no choice.

The fact is that to this point, he sucks. He was also running around the sidelines after being benched for his poor performance making a complete a-hole of himself.

TD gave up spots in round one, a 2nd and a 5th for this kid. On the field, he looks like ****. On the sidelines, he looks like a jackass. He needed to be humbled a bit, this is clear.

The kid MAY turn out to be good. I don't see this purported "cannon," but that isn't really so important. What I WOULD like to see is a professional looking qb against the dolphins.

Is that asking SO much?

But I'm a little confused.  Before it was all DB's fault, but now it's everybody's but Losman's fault?

Too bad Bledsoe was chased out of town because it should be pretty obvious that JP needs more seasoning before being handed the reigns to the offense.  Another year on the bench would have served him well IMO, and the "addition by subtraction" theory again fails miserably. 

It's that old idiom we all heard has kids - Be careful what you wish for, it might come true.  Well the vocal Bledsoe bashers got their wish but their knight in shining armor is a spastic kid wrapped in tin foil.  He might make a great knight one day, but right now he's in over his head.

468296[/snapback]

its the decision to let him go then to pull rug on Losman......you mess with the mind of a young qb that might not be able to get it back together, it happens in the nfl all the time as it seems successful qb's are usually handled in one manner and unsuccessful qb's are handled in this manner........the alternative is a 9 year journeyman bench warmer whom JP has the talent to exceed in one year given game time, game on the line, division rival game experience............so you concede a first round pick, a starting qb, a mini camp, a training camp, 4 pre season games, and 4 regular season games for the opportunity to nip miami which is already possible

its the decision to let him go then to pull rug on Losman......you mess with the mind of a young qb that might not be able to get it back together, it happens in the nfl all the time as it seems successful qb's are usually handled in one manner and unsuccessful qb's are handled in this manner........the alternative is a 9 year journeyman bench warmer whom JP has the talent to exceed in one year given game time, game on the line, division rival game experience............so you concede a first round pick, a starting qb, a mini camp, a training camp, 4 pre season games, and 4 regular season games for the opportunity to nip miami which is already possible

468321[/snapback]

As we speak, JP is probably the worst qb in the NFL. Holcombe isn't, and fans (myself included) are paying for tickets.

Do you discount this?

As we speak, JP is probably the worst qb in the NFL. Holcombe isn't, and fans (myself included) are paying for tickets.

Do you discount this?

468323[/snapback]

no i think the new bills starting quarterback right now is better than the one in chicago, baltimore, new york jets, detroit, and san francisco's but he doesnt have the ability to execeed the ability of any other starting qb and in fact san francisco's and chicagos qb should pass him before long.......then when baltimores injured qb comes back he's better than two teams starting qb's jets and lions...........but thats his cap

no i think the new bills starting quarterback right now is better than the one in chicago, baltimore, new york jets, detroit, and san francisco's but he doesnt have the ability to execeed the ability of any other starting qb and in fact san francisco's and chicagos qb should pass him before long.......then when baltimores injured qb comes back he's better than two teams starting qb's jets and lions...........but thats his cap

468330[/snapback]

As we speak, Harrington is clearly superior to Losman. Both SF qbs are probably better as well, and Bollinger, as bad as he is, played better last week.

Things will certainly change, but JP needs a rest imo.

And I totally agree.  Sometimes you get what you wished for.

I was actually very much against the move to JP this season, for exactly this reason.  But at some point this summer, I bought into it and decided that it may be for the best.  If he has a decent year and we somehow manage to be 8-8.  Then next year we're a playoff team.  And that's what's sucking... is now we may never know if JP could have developed this year.

468310[/snapback]

Learning something that is complex (like how to be a starting QB in the NFL) can be, well, complex.

Having had experience training people (no, not how to be a starting QB in the NFL), I learned that everyone learns at a difference pace. Different methods may be used to reach people, and there may be times where the trainee tells the trainer "Yuh, uh-huh, I got it," and really believe they do understand it - But when pressed to explain it back to the trainer, the trainee is suddenly clueless. And it goes the other way too. I've had trainees tell me they don't get it, but when I ask them to explain what they do understand, it turns out they get the whole concept, they just didn't know they did.

I guess my point in all that is that there are as many ways to learn as there are people willing to learn. At this point in time, sitting may very well be the best thing for JP's development.

No one can say for certain how JP will develop, or whether the benching will harm or help his development, but the people making these kinds of decisions have the most to lose if their decisions don't work out. They also have a vested interest in doing what they feel is right for the team, contrary to what you, me, or any other chucklehead believes is right. Luckily for them, they also happen to be a bit closer to the situation than we are, and they know a lot more about what's going on than we do.

As we speak, Harrington is clearly superior to Losman. Both SF qbs are probably better as well, and Bollinger, as bad as he is, played better last week.

Things will certainly change, but JP needs a rest imo.

468331[/snapback]

i was speaking of holcombe.....i said i dont discount losman as possibly the nfls worst right now

Garcia had started the previous week and gotten injured, if my memory serves me correctly.

468253[/snapback]

Yeah, somebody broke his hip or something like that. Nobody on the Browns cared, since Garcia had already insulted everybody even remotely connected with the franchise.

In some way, we all bought into it. We are Bills Fans; we had no choice.

The fact is that to this point, he sucks. He was also running around the sidelines after being benched for his poor performance making a complete a-hole of himself.

TD gave up spots in round one, a 2nd and a 5th for this kid. On the field, he looks like ****. On the sidelines, he looks like a jackass. He needed to be humbled a bit, this is clear.

The kid MAY turn out to be good. I don't see this purported "cannon," but that isn't really so important. What I WOULD like to see is a professional looking qb against the dolphins.

Is that asking SO much?

468320[/snapback]

if he did need to be humbled is the only way i see it as a good move........if he's too cocky for his own good and doing things without regard to his preparation then it is a good move......time out for jp .....2 games go sit in the corner

if he did need to be humbled is the only way i see it as a good move........if he's too cocky for his own good and doing things without regard to his preparation then it is a good move......time out for jp .....2 games go sit in the corner

468341[/snapback]

Thanks. This is what I am thinking.

Until he plays well, the Bills are not "his" team.

Don't worry fellow Bills Fan, he will get his chance. :unsure:

i was speaking of holcombe.....i said i dont discount losman as possibly the nfls worst right now

468337[/snapback]

harrington isnt as good as holcombe and probably never will be......they would start him then pull him out in favor of mike mcmahon this seems to have ruined his confidence........detroits weapons are vastly superior yet harrington cant get a qb rating to 60

In a Wildcard Playoff against the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2003, Kelly Holcomb threw for the third most passing yards in NFL postseason history.

A) His running game featured William Green, a career disappointment who has even today never run for 1000 yards in a season over his career.

B) He was throwing to a receiving corps of Kevin Johnson, Dennis Northcut, Quincy Morgan plus our very own Mark Campbell at TE.

C) He was protected by an offensive line consisting of Ryan Tucker, Paul Zakauskas, a twilight Dave Wohlabaugh, Ross Verba and Barry Stokes. (Lori- feel free to correct me here)

D) It was Holcomb’s first start in 14 games for the Browns.

467970[/snapback]

RJ had a good game when he played us , then we go and gige him 25 million to find out he sucks . holcome 1 good game BIG deal

RJ had a good game when he played us , then we go and gige him 25 million to find out he sucks . holcome 1 good game BIG deal

468396[/snapback]

Uh, Rob Johnson never played against us before he came here. In the game he "played" against us after leaving (when he was with Washington), he got hammered (including being sacked by about half the defense the first time he dropped back).

Oh, and Holcomb has had two GREAT games. Both of which were against teams that were significantly more talented than the team he was quarterbacking.

The only question that matters: Can Kelley Holcomb lead us to the Super Bowl this year? 

468039[/snapback]

You can't play in the Super Bowl if you don't make the Playoffs. We can't make the Playoffs if we throw away this pivotal game in our schedule under the excuse we're giving somebody "experience".

Win. Now.

And...

E) Benching your starting QB will not magically establish the run. 

The issue isn't so much Holcomb's performance vs. Losman's, it's the piss-poor coaching this decision represents.

468067[/snapback]

thank you. it's time to lay the blame where it belongs -- at mularkey's and clements' feet.