Bills OL 2006

Teague will be a ufa, and will almost certainly be gone imo. Anderson, a HUGE dropoff from Tucker, should probably be cut now (not that I expect this).

As for Mike Williams, he is at the point of his contract where his signing bonus might not be too brutal to absorb. Either way, imo, paying him 9 million dollars in 06 should not be an option.

This guy Jerman is as bad as it gets.

Anything can happen, but it looks like we will be drafting often and early. Next year there are supposed to be as many as 4 LTs that are said to be first round picks.

Steve Hutchinson is said to be a ufa, and he is probably one of the top 5 Guards in the NFL. There will probably be other options as well.

We already have Preston and Geisenger, who might be good football players by next season, who knows.

My point is that if TD wants to build an OL, the time will be right in 06, or so it would seem. It was a brutal mistake to place an excitable, very questionable rookie in there behind this motley crew.

TD needs to be held accountable for this absolute mess.

Teague will be a ufa, and will almost certainly be gone imo. Anderson, a HUGE dropoff from Tucker, should probably be cut now (not that I expect this).

As for Mike Williams, he is at the point of his contract where his signing bonus might not be too brutal to absorb. Either way, imo, paying him 9 million dollars in 06 should not be an option.

Anything can happen, but it looks like we will be drafting often and early. Next year there are supposed to be as many as 4 LTs that are said to be first round picks.

Steve Hutchinson is said to be a ufa, and he is probably one of the top 5 Guards in the NFL. There will probably be other options as well.

We already have Preston and Geisenger, who might be good football players by next season, who knows.

My point is that if TD wants to build an OL, the time will be right in 06, or so it would seem. It was a brutal mistake to place an excitable, very questionable rookie in there behind this motley crew.

462592[/snapback]

if he wouldn't spend on mike wahle why would he spend on steve hutchinson?

462592[/snapback]

Come on now, Anderson hasn't played that bad; as a matter of fact he and Gandy have played way better than I thought they would. Teague and Vallerial have been dissappointments and Williams has been hurt the past 2 weeks. The biggest problem with this team has been over coaching and trying to be too cute. That game yesterday called for a steady dose of McGahee and the Bills never fed him the ball. They never run the ball on back to back plays. Our OL strength is run blocking but they can never get in a rhytm. Look across the field; we shut Duece down for 3 1/2 quarters with him averaging less than 3 yards a carry. On the last drive he gained 65 yards.

Come on now, Anderson hasn't played that bad; as a matter of fact he and Gandy have played way better than I thought they would. Teague and Vallerial have been dissappointments and Williams has been hurt the past 2 weeks. The biggest problem with this team has been over coaching and trying to be too cute. That game yesterday called for a steady dose of McGahee and the Bills never fed him the ball. They never run the ball on back to back plays. Our OL strength is run blocking but they can never get in a rhytm. Look across the field; we shut Duece down for 3 1/2 quarters with him averaging less than 3 yards a carry. On the last  drive he gained 65 yards.

462622[/snapback]

Can I hear and "AMEN BROTHER!" You nailed it... coaching was the problem in yesterday's game and maybe the whole season. We are supposed to be a POWER RUNNING TEAM... where, when? I certainly haven't seen it so far. Stop trying to "get JP into the game early." Cuz, it's digging us a big hole early. JP's confidence is rattled. Run the ball early and often and look to connect on a few short outs or crossing patterns BETWEEN RUNNING PLAYS! This team is built to run, the OL is built to run. What do we do? Pass?

Frustrating!

Can I hear and "AMEN BROTHER!"  You nailed it... coaching was the problem in yesterday's game and maybe the whole season.  We are supposed to be a POWER RUNNING TEAM... where, when?  I certainly haven't seen it so far.  Stop trying to "get JP into the game early."  Cuz, it's digging us a big hole early.  JP's confidence is rattled.  Run the ball early and often and look to connect on a few short outs or crossing patterns BETWEEN RUNNING PLAYS!  This team is built to run, the OL is built to run.  What do we do?  Pass? 

Frustrating!

462657[/snapback]

The sad situation seems to be TD hired two of the biggest boneheads ever to grace the Pittsburg sidelines. TD is suffering from a newly discovered syndrome called SJD (Severe Judgement Deficit). There is no cure.

Can I hear and "AMEN BROTHER!"  You nailed it... coaching was the problem in yesterday's game and maybe the whole season.  We are supposed to be a POWER RUNNING TEAM... where, when?  I certainly haven't seen it so far.  Stop trying to "get JP into the game early."  Cuz, it's digging us a big hole early.  JP's confidence is rattled.  Run the ball early and often and look to connect on a few short outs or crossing patterns BETWEEN RUNNING PLAYS!  This team is built to run, the OL is built to run.  What do we do?  Pass? 

Frustrating!

462657[/snapback]

My issue is why does it seems that they go out of there way to prove that they can hit the big play; on BOTH offense and defense? It seems as if this coaching staff spends too much time watching the opponents tape then analyzing and dissecting what our team strengths are and putting players in position to make plays! There is definitely no rhytm on offense. Before the season we were suppose to be a running team that played good D. The sad point is that we have ran the ball good 3 ot ouf 4 games. But they don't stick with the run and they never can seem to pass from the same personell they have success. If they want to take advantage of JP's mobility, instead of having him running draws like a college QB where are the rollouts, the rolling pockets, etc.? Where are the short passes that combine with a power runing game that keeps the chains moving and the D off the field so that we can wear down the opposing D? If this were happening then there would be more opportunities for the big play for defenses have figured out since game one to look out for the big play in the 1st few quarters and they don't respect the play action; escpecially after a good run for even they know the Bill's coaching staff will try to be cute on the next play instead of coming back and smashing it down their throats again!

Come on now, Anderson hasn't played that bad; as a matter of fact he and Gandy have played way better than I thought they would. Teague and Vallerial have been dissappointments and Williams has been hurt the past 2 weeks. The biggest problem with this team has been over coaching and trying to be too cute. That game yesterday called for a steady dose of McGahee and the Bills never fed him the ball. They never run the ball on back to back plays. Our OL strength is run blocking but they can never get in a rhytm. Look across the field; we shut Duece down for 3 1/2 quarters with him averaging less than 3 yards a carry. On the last  drive he gained 65 yards.

462622[/snapback]

When noone on the line can give JP more than 2 seconds to pass, they ALL SUCK. They should all be dropped and we should start fresh.

Bill, I think I agree with you on Teague, as long as Preston is ready. While Teague has been steady for the most part he is still showing as a liability vs. inside blitzes. Anderson I think has played better than you are seeing, as most of Willis's bigger runs have gone through him, though he is showing some poor footwork at times vs. the pass rush. I can't say he's worse than Tucker. Gandy for the first time yesterday showed some lack of ability one on one vs. a good edge rusher. He has been solid run blocking though as well. His position could certainly be improved though he has played as well as can be expected. MW I think will be fine as long as he gets his butt on the field. The salary is a little high though I agree at this point, and he may have to restructure. Chris V I think is ok where he's at.

Disclaimer: I am waiting for the coaches to take advantage of the run blocking abilities of this line to give them a chance, which they haven't done. Until that time, a complete assessment cannot be made IMO.

Bill, I think I agree with you on Teague, as long as Preston is ready. While Teague has been steady for the most part he is still showing as a liability vs. inside blitzes. Anderson I think has played better than you are seeing, as most of Willis's bigger runs have gone through him, though he is showing some poor footwork at times vs. the pass rush. I can't say he's worse than Tucker. Gandy for the first time yesterday showed some lack of ability one on one vs. a good edge rusher. He has been solid run blocking though as well. His position could certainly be improved though he has played as well as can be expected. MW I think will be fine as long as he gets his butt on the field. The salary is a little high though I agree at this point, and he may have to restructure. Chris V I think is ok where he's at.

Disclaimer: I am waiting for the coaches to take advantage of the run blocking abilities of this line to give them a chance, which they haven't done. Until that time, a complete assessment cannot be made IMO.

462826[/snapback]

Until yesterday, Gandy did play beyond my expectations. Is he the answer at LT? Certainly not. I cannot throw in the towel on CV, because look who he is playing next to. Teague has been awful.

As for MW, that will be a huge decision, based on how much of a cap hit it would be to cut him, and how much, if anything, he produces this year.

Like I said, Steve Hutchinson will be a ufa next year. Who would you rather have on our team, Williams or Hutchinson? :lol:

462592[/snapback]

bill, i agree with you 100%. i'm not going to allow myself to become an "it's not JP's fault" apologist because he has been bad and needs time to learn the NFL game. but the OL is putrid -- particularly up the middle. i don't share your disdain for mike williams, but he needs to stay on the field. i don't have a problem with gandy so far, but i didn't really study his play yesterday. anderson, teague, and villareal have been awful.

i no longer maintain optimism for this team until the OL mess is addressed in a meaningful way.

while we're at it, tom clements needs to be shown the door. the last three weeks have showcased some of the worst playcalling i've ever seen -- i'm starting to agree with VA's assessment that he is nothing more than kevin killdrive in a tom clements body suit. and that scares me.

i have come to the conclusion that this is a 4-5 win team this season unless a light clicks on for JP, the coaching staff, or there is a miraculous transformation in the play of the OL.

OK, I totally agree that this year's o-line was built to serve a smash-mouth running game. And I think the line is capable of just that. But our star running back had just 16 carries on the road yesterday. There is no real sign that he'll get more carries next weekend against the stinkin' fish.

I doubt TD changes his coaches, and I doubt the coaches change their tune or their play calling. So, we'll continue to keep a line built for a ground game but we'll also continue to throw more than we'll run.

So, we're doomed.

I can't judge OL quality; I can only witness the turnstiles or penalties when they occur, like any fan sees. I asked before the season started what people thought if our starting OL was the current one, and to their credit, many posters saw this coming. I'm beginning to understand why.

Clements, OTOH, is not necessarily a bad playcaller - he's a bad playcaller for the personnel he has. If he had a good OL and a good veteran QB, I think he'd have pretty good success with the gadgety type of offense - but these guys just can't run it. The OL can't protect the QB, the QB is too inexperienced to run it. He needs to make the gameplan complexity reflect what talent is available. Even simple plays are successful when executed well.

Clements, OTOH, is not necessarily a bad playcaller - he's a bad playcaller for the personnel he has. If he had a good OL and a good veteran QB, I think he'd have pretty good success with the gadgety type of offense - but these guys just can't run it. The OL can't protect the QB, the QB is too inexperienced to run it. He needs to make the gameplan complexity reflect what talent is available. Even simple plays are successful when executed well.

463028[/snapback]

What gadgetry is out of JP's ability? JP has made some freakin' outstanding play-action fakes this year. Does this come from the one flea-flicker that blew up yesterday? Those things happen. JP has among the best pump fakes I've ever seen. But Clements is suppose to know when to call these types of plays and when not to. More importantly, TC is suppose to realize he has an o-line that was built to run block. Give them their chance. Pound the damn ball at the opposing defense all day. By the end of the game, McGahee and company will have worn that D-line down. That is exactly what New Orelans did yesterday, and it worked against our D like a charm. And it worked for the Bills big time last year.

463028[/snapback]

No, he's a bad playcaller. Follows a recipe, and doesn't appreciate the moment.

I fear he is not a bright individual. That's not unusual...sports are loaded with pinchfarts that huff and puff and kiss themselves and think they are the Second Coming. :lol:

No, he's a bad playcaller. Follows a recipe, and doesn't appreciate the moment.

I fear he is not a bright individual.

463063[/snapback]

Too true. The receipt is flawed. You cannot make one thing if you have the ingredients for something completely different. He has the components to run, but he contiually fails to see that.

Geeze, why does this problem seem so familiar? :lol:

Too true. The receipt is flawed. You cannot make one thing if you have the ingredients for something completely different. He has the components to run, but he contiually fails to see that.

Geeze, why does this problem seem so familiar?  :lol:

463070[/snapback]

Like I said, sports are loaded with pinchfarts. That's an old term very illustrative..an incompetent that squeezes his buttocks lest he let his essential qualities be known to the general public. :lol: