New NFL Policy

Hirly5

Funny stuff.

On the pat-down issue, the ironic thing is that as much as the author's biggest problem is having his kid subjected to the search, the kids weren't all that fazed by it. Kids growing up in this 'post 9-11' era and see this stuff as normal and as such are better prepared to deal with the realities that come with it.

It's those of us who are older and can compare to the way it used to be that have the most trouble dealing with what we've lost.

Kids growing up in this 'post 9-11' era and see this stuff as normal and as such are better prepared to deal with the realities that come with it.

And that, my friend, is a scary thing.

Patdowns do nothing to increase security (just like taking off shoes and not bringing nail files on planes does nothing to increase security). It's simply window dressing.

Sad.

Although I do like the idea of hugging the pat downers. Hey, you touch me, I touch you. :)

CW

Patdowns do nothing to increase security (just like taking off shoes and not bringing nail files on planes does nothing to increase security).  It's simply window dressing.

I agree completely. If we're not questioning the effectiveness of security procedures, that is a very bad thing. Certainly the NFL is concerned about the image they are presenting on the security issue. They don't want to endure the "Why didn't you......." scrutiny if something bad were to happen (a la New Orleans).

I went up to the gate with my son on my shoulders, put him down, and they waved us thru without a glance OR a pat.

I figured I had to pay extra to get felt up. Either that or sit next to KJ ;)

I just find it amazing that they outlawed my clear backpack because "I could hide a bomb in the straps" (direct quote from security guy), but I could bring in a seat cushion that could hold enough c4 to eliminate most of WNY... :D

448202[/snapback]

Probably the scariest thing I saw was in a kid's architecture contest after 9/11 was one of the kids had all this stuff in the plans for walk-through X-ray machines, retinal scanners, and about 5 other things just short of a cavity search just to walk into a building. The kid was unfazed in promoting this vision for the loss of liberty. And when the mouthbreathers in the audience actually clapped for him, I started making mental contingency plans for moving to the deep woods of Maine.

I just find it amazing that they outlawed my clear backpack because "I could hide a bomb in the straps" (direct quote from security guy), but I could bring in a seat cushion that could hold enough c4 to eliminate most of WNY... :D

448618[/snapback]

I typically brought a backpack (flimsy little thing with one zippered and one open compartment and string straps), camera case w/camera, baggie of pretzels, raincoat, and a plastic flask with "medicinal liquid" to the games.

I studied the New World Order rules and being one of those socially backwards negative guys (destined to get banned in the new PC atmosphere) decided to see if I could still get them into the game.

Figuring the backpack would be the hardest (and not wanting to lose it) before tailgating I stuffed it with my raincoat and asked several "patters" if my "seat cushion" was OK to bring in. All said it was no problem. Ironically saw a guy ask if he could bring in his backpack (basically the same thing as I had) and he was told NO immediately.

When I went to go in, I stratigically stashed the flask (hardest part), took the camera from the case (which I was going to call a purse) and hung the strap around my neck and held the pretzel baggie. Girl who inspected asked what I had, told her a seat cushion, showed her the case (with extra batteries and memory stick inside) which she called it a "container", did a basic pat-down and was let in.

Ten feet inside the gate I loaded everything back into my "seat cushion", put in on my back and proceeded to my seat.

This week I need to add a Ron Mexico welcoming sign and my sombrero so it may be more of a challenge but the bottom line is the patters are willing to work with you as long as you make it easy for them to do so.

(Of course this week I'll probably get everything confiscated.)

BTW, why are cell phones OK?

Figuring the backpack would be the hardest (and not wanting to lose it) before tailgating I stuffed it with my raincoat and asked several "patters" if my "seat cushion" was OK to bring in.  All said it was no problem.  Ironically saw a guy ask if he could bring in his backpack (basically the same thing as I had) and he was told NO immediately. 

I've told this story a few times, but it never gets old.

My wife and I flew to England on 10/15/01 -- a month after 9/11. It was just announced that you couldn't bring things like nail files, tweezers, and other crazy crap. Fine, whatever. So at the check-in counter, I tried getting an upgrade to 1st class because it was our honeymoon (it was!). She wasn't able to do that, but she gave us some vouchers for a future flight, tickets for free headphones, alcohol on the plane, etc.

Fast forward to our flight -- the stewardess hands us a BOTTLE of champaign. Now that was very nice of them -- but I think a glass bottle is probably a bit more danger than a nail file...

Fast forward again to the flight back to the States. We bought a really nice heavy duty umbrella in London. Unfortunately, we couldn't fit it in the suitcase! We went to the check-in counter and asked if we were allowed to bring the steel-tipped umbrella on the plane. The guy looked over the list of "banned items," saw umbrella wasn't listed, and said, "Yeah, no problem." :D I could've impaled someone on this umbrella very easily, but heaven forbid you bring a nail file on the plane! ;)

Stupid.

CW

Patdowns do nothing to increase security (just like taking off shoes and not bringing nail files on planes does nothing to increase security).  It's simply window dressing.

Sad.

448202[/snapback]

You are completely right on this issue. It is not security just posturing. The SAME bag can not be brought in can be bought inside, the same bottle of water without a cap can not be brought in, etc. The NFL has joined the jokers at TSA at being pathetic.

I'm considering cutting the straps off the backpack and carrying it with the handle - shazam it's a bag!

It's not like I have any other use for the thing - I bought it for exactly this purpose.

448787[/snapback]

I would just try to take it in without modification. With mine (for everyone else, Jay and I have the exact same backpack, Thanks Jay!) I would wear it to about 50'-100' from the gate, then take it off and carry it by the strap. Only once has security said something about not allowing backpacks in, and my reply was "What backpack? Do you mean my clear plastic bag that is less than 12"x12"x12"?" They just smiled and let me go on. It's also easiest to get in gates 8&9, and the secret gate, near the tunnel players entrance. Not alot of people use these gates since they are in the far corners of the stadium from tharking lots. Of course, both these entrances are farthest from your seats, so you may not want to make the extra walk.