JP was really bad

Frez

The more I think about it the more I realize how bad JP was schooled today. Remember in that first half JP was almost picked off twice for 6 points each. His throws to the sidelines were a bit off target also. He had a major learning day from a very very good defense. Having a running game today would've helped also. Our line just just couldn't get it going. The Bucs D looked like a swarm of bees on Willis today.

Jeez, let's forget this week and start to worry about the Falcons.

Sort of reminded me of Kelly on trips to KC or Pittsburgh during the Super Bowl years.

445595[/snapback]

My God did I freaking hate that KC game on MNF in '92 (i think '92??). Kelly sucked the big one. Hurt to watch getting rolled by the Nigerian Nightmare; Christian Okoye. :angry:

jp seemed way too confident going into this game. remember the quote from last game "it was too easy today" or something of that nature. it was certainly a humbling experience for him. his post game quotes are proof of that.

seems like jp will be a streaky qb until he becomes comfortable. he'll probably fair well at home and be a bit shaky on the road.

he did play better after being benched in favor of holcomb. lets hope he continues that. i think he'll bounce back despite playing another tough defense this week.

Anyone see the "highlights" of Culpepper's day? So much for having a veteran with experience. Culpepper throws five picks and it's a bad day. If JP had done that today, many here would be torching him. I realize the difference is obvious in that Culpepper has earned the right to stink it up. Regardless, it shows that even the All-Pros can stank from time to time. Give JP the keys, sit back and hope he develops. No matter what anyone's opinion of him is, I think it's clear he has a fire we have not seen since Kelly and he has, perhaps, the most complete set of physical tools of any QB we've ever had. The potential (arm, legs, guts) is great. We have the fortune or misfortune, depending on your perspective, to watch this guy develop. I, for one, am going to forget today and look forward to his next start. We are all pretty upset here today, but I guarantee you .... nobody is more irked or motivated right now than Losman.

Sort of reminded me of Kelly on trips to KC or Pittsburgh during the Super Bowl years.

445595[/snapback]

Or Miami in the second week of the season... The no huddle took the air right out of their lungs...

BTW, the Chiefs game was in 1991...

someone else eluded to it in another post, but this is what we expected to have to put up with with JP as the starter. Even though he sucked, we're supposed to be among the best in the other phases of the game, and today those phases sh*t the bed. I, for one, am not worried. It was one game. I'm just glad that we already got JP his first win. Can you imagine if we were 0-2 right now? This place would be even more neuotically unstable than it is today!

As for Kelly and Co. vs. Pitt and KC in their houses, wow....those are some baaaaad memories.

Guest BackInDaDay
Give JP the keys, sit back and hope he develops.  No matter what anyone's opinion of him is, I think it's clear he has a fire we have not seen since Kelly and he has, perhaps, the most complete set of physical tools of any QB we've ever had.  The potential (arm, legs, guts) is great.  We have the fortune or misfortune, depending on your perspective, to watch this guy develop.  I, for one, am going to forget today and look forward to his next start.  We are all pretty upset here today, but I guarantee you .... nobody is more irked or motivated right now than Losman.

445620[/snapback]

I agree, except for the being upset part. JP will learn more from his failures today, than 5 successful outings like last week. We all hope he learns quickly enough to give us a chance to win, but this was expected.

I agree, except for the being upset part.  JP will learn more from his failures today, than 5 successful outings like last week.  We all hope he learns quickly enough to give us a chance to win, but this was expected.

445655[/snapback]

Yep, if nothing else, look at how well Carson Palmer is doing this year. He had pretty much the same group on offense last year as he does this year, and he's tearing it up. If I remember correctly, he pretty much sucked the first half of last season. I think JP has as much or more physical talent as Palmer does.

The more I think about it the more I realize how bad JP was schooled today. Remember in that first half JP was almost picked off twice for 6 points each. His throws to the sidelines were a bit off target also. He had a major learning day from a very very good defense. Having a running game today would've helped also. Our line just just couldn't get it going. The Bucs D looked like a swarm of bees on Willis today.

445591[/snapback]

Three times, plus the batted ball in endzone.

The three were to Brooks in the 1st series

and barber and Kelly in the 3rd series.

445591[/snapback]

I haven't seen it mentioned, but I was irate when Mularkey sent the punt team out there on 4th and 9 from the Bucs 38 yard line in the 4th quarter down 2 TD's. There were 13 minutes left, but when you can't stop the run, it changes how you have to handle the game clock. In effect, it was a two to three series game. I thought Mularkey had a better feel for the flow of the game than he showed then. It was also a prime opportunity to let JP make a play.

Mularkey got what he deserved when Moorman screwed the punt for a net 15 yard gain. As that Simmons guy says, the "football gods punished him". Shades of "4th and stupid". The Bucs then proceeded to effectively run out the competitive portion of the game on the ensuing drive. Pulling Losman AFTER Mularkey had thrown in the towel was also stunning, but the prevailing belief after the fact on radio was that by putting in Holcomb and having him bumble thru a 3 and out Mularkey actually quieted the vocal minority in Buffalo that always think the backup QB is the best player on the team.

445591[/snapback]

Everyone was bad. Was there even a discernable game plan? A pass rush? Run support? Pass coverage? (McGee's going to spend the week in the ECMC burn ward, he was torched so badly.) A running game? A passing game? The only good thing about the game was that they didn't run the Mickey Mouse fake end around bull sh-- reverse !@#$tard play today.

And that Losman, as much as he sucked (and he did suck, badly), he didn't seem all that rattled by it. He even took his benching pretty well, judging by how he came back out. But clearly, against a good defense his bad habits are going to get him eaten alive - he's lucky no one could hold on to the ball today, he should have had at least three passes picked off.