The Vanek era begins tonight

PromoTheRobot

Thomas Vanek, the Austrian phenom the Sabres drafted a few years back scored the tying goal in regulation, and the winning goal in OT tonight.  Sabres 3 - Capitals 2 at a sold-out HSBC.  Hockey's back!

PTR

444260[/snapback]

Vanek is awesome.

Thomas Vanek, the Austrian phenom the Sabres drafted a few years back scored the tying goal in regulation, and the winning goal in OT tonight.  Sabres 3 - Capitals 2 at a sold-out HSBC.  Hockey's back!

PTR

444260[/snapback]

He also scored the only goal in the shoot-out. Every preseason game is going into a shoot-out no matter what the final score is.

Many followers are really peeved about last year, as they should be. BUT one thing I do like, Satan is gone. I think it was Briere that said something like, now we can have a T-E-A-M. Satan was all about the STATs and himself. He was the furthest thing from a teamplayer.

To me, that was a huge reason for the strike in the first place, the players wanting to maximize their salaries without having a cap. Of course the owners are no saints either, they just want profits.

The true loosers were the fans. BUT with actions and comments about T-E-A-M work, T-E-A-M play, and T-E-A-M principles, that is a big step in the Sabre's recognition of their fans.

Many followers are really peeved about last year, as they should be. BUT one thing I do like, Satan is gone. I think it was Briere that said something like, now we can have a T-E-A-M. Satan was all about the STATs and himself. He was the furthest thing from a teamplayer.

444453[/snapback]

In a recent News article -- I can't find the link right now -- Allen Wilson mentioned how Drury went to Ruff last year to get Satan off his line. I'm glad Miro's gone too.

In a recent News article -- I can't find the link right now -- Allen Wilson mentioned how Drury went to Ruff last year to get Satan off his line.  I'm glad Miro's gone too.

444516[/snapback]

If that Wilson article is more than a week old, the News will have archived it. If not, you can probably track it down at http://www.sabresreport.com/ ...

The outsider's view: Satan has talent, but I always thought he had a healthy dose of floater in him. And if I'd been one of his teammates on the ice when he did the "make the call, Darcy" celebration after that one goal, I probably would've run him myself. Give me a classy guy like LaFontaine any day of the week.

While I'm here, I also think Ruff couldn't have picked two better guys than Briere and Drury to captain the team. Should he have picked one guy? Perhaps - but man, that's a tough choice.

Go Sabres (as long as you're not playing my Habs...:D )

To me, that was a huge reason for the strike in the first place, the players wanting to maximize their salaries without having a cap. Of course the owners are no saints either, they just want profits.

The true loosers were the fans. BUT with actions and comments about T-E-A-M work, T-E-A-M play, and T-E-A-M principles, that is a big step in the Sabre's recognition of their fans.

444453[/snapback]

Yes ... and because Satan is gone, we may very well lose many games that he would have won by himself ... I was NOT a Satan supporter (he is a rooster), but you wanna know what - he did win some games

I also was at the game last night and saw Vanek a couple of times last year...

Just to bring this conversation back to earth somewhat....Vanek is a VERY talented offensive player who is amazing when the puck is on his stick. That being said, he has a LONG way to go in terms of playing in his own end and be more willing to battle along the boards for the puck(considering his size, this is a bit of a letdown). It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him end up in the doghouse before very long, due to Lindys "defense first" system. After all, this coach does not have a reputation for developing offensive talent.

Hmmmm....Sounds a little bit like a very talented player that we just let go.