Anyone try Chaser for hangovers

Hardy Pyle

I am interested as everyone else to know what the hell is in that stuff. I have never tried it, but I am a bit skeptical.

IF anyone wishes to know definitively, send me two or three pills, and I will run some high-res Mass Spectroscopy on it and see if we can find out what the hell is in there.....

I took them once. I ended up treating it like a liscense to drink more because "I won't get hung over"

You have to take them constantly throughout the night (I think its like 2 an hour) and I ended up forgetting to take them after a few hours.

They aren't cheap an not really worth it IMO

I took them once.  I ended up treating it like a liscense to drink more because "I won't get hung over"

You have to take them constantly throughout the night (I think its like 2 an hour) and I ended up forgetting to take them after a few hours. 

They aren't cheap an not really worth it IMO

434039[/snapback]

i went looking for them at a drug store one time, and the pharmacist behind the counter told me the same thing

It's basically activated charcoal, so it absorbs substances in your gut before they get into your system.

So you have to take the pills while you're drinking. I'm not sure how much alcohol can overcome the pills, or if it will prevent you from getting drunk, but it doesn't sound like a particularly enjoyable way to prevent a hangover.

It's basically activated charcoal, so it absorbs substances in your gut before they get into your system.

So you have to take the pills while you're drinking. I'm not sure how much alcohol can overcome the pills, or if it will prevent you from getting drunk, but it doesn't sound like a particularly enjoyable way to prevent a hangover.

434043[/snapback]

If that is true, you would have to ingest an unbelievable amount to have any effect, if at all. That is usually used for trace removal of volatile gas-phase constituents...

they say it is only good up to sixc beers. what i want to know is who the hell is hungover after 6 beers? anyways, in o-chem we learned that vitamin b (i think) can help with hangovers so maybe there's some in the chaser.

434049[/snapback]

i don't think there's vitamin B. It's pure charcoal. The reason people get hungover is NOT because of dehydration (although that can add to the headache, but not the overall "ill" feeling), they get hungover because of the impurities in the alcohol. The charcoal is supposed to remove those.

That being said, I took 8 one night (two an hour or so). I felt a little better the next morning than I normally would, but i credit that completely to a placebo effect.

Save your money.

they say it is only good up to sixc beers. what i want to know is who the hell is hungover after 6 beers?

434049[/snapback]

Depending on the beer, sometimes a 6 pack can make me feel like prety crappy in the morning, but Alcohol in general makes me ill, so I hardly ever drink anymore. Maybe once every 3 or so months I'll have a few beers.

I took them one night and drank heavily, still ended up feeling like sh-- the next day. I even took the allotment it says to so I was popping those things non stop threw out the night. Maybe they work for a small amount of alcohol but anybody looking for a hangover remedy is probably looking for something a bit more potent, to bad that something doesn’t exist.

they say it is only good up to sixc beers. what i want to know is who the hell is hungover after 6 beers? anyways, in o-chem we learned that vitamin b (i think) can help with hangovers so maybe there's some in the chaser.

434049[/snapback]

I'm hungover after one. That's why I "smoke" for recreational purposes instead. <_<

i don't think there's vitamin B. It's pure charcoal. The reason people get hungover is NOT because of dehydration (although that can add to the headache, but not the overall "ill" feeling), they get hungover because of the impurities in the alcohol. The charcoal is supposed to remove those.

youre right that people dont get hungover because of dehydration, but its not quite because of impurities in the alcohol itself, its what your body does to the ethanol. This is from a section in my o-chem text that says there is some evidence that vitamin B1 may be useful in curing a hangover.

"...An oxidation reaction that takes place in animal cells is the oxidation of ethanol to acetaldehyde, a reaction catalyzed by the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase. Acetaldehyde is responsible for the feeling known as a hangover. Thiamine pyrophosphate (the coenzyme of vitamin B1) can convert acetaldehyde to acetyl-CoA..."

so maybe there is some vitamin B1 in there somewhere. regardless, like you said the things blow so don't waste your $. I just had to look that up cuz I specifically remembered talking about it...boy i bet my mom would be proud to learn that her son is learning such practical things at college...lol

I got it once. At the liquor store of course.

I drank more that night than I think I ever had in my life.

I woke up the next day sleeping in my friends driveway.

I had no sort of hangover what so ever.

I did have chest pains because I supposedly was violently vomitting everywhere.

I also had minor lacerations to my arms and legs from falling in the rock driveway.

I will NEVER take chasers again.

They are like "peer pressure" pills that make you drink more!

I checked them out in a store once and discovered that the primary ingredient is akin to what can be found in Tums or Rolaids.

Antacids, aspirin and water before bed will probably work just as well or better.

Of course as NJ BIlls fan learned above, there is no better cure than chucking your guts.

<_<