How Short is Lindell's Leash

brihs2005

With the Bills rumored to have brought in a kicker this week for a try out, it is clear they are trying to send a message to Lindell... If they wanted to make a move, they would have done so by now, but it makes me wonder how short his leash is knowing that they have already looked at other kickers. If Lindell misses a 35 yarder, does TD get on the phone with France and say, we are signing you on monday? Is he a short-miss away from being out of a job?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty long once the season starts. He is making almost 900K in salary and since he is a vet the Bills will be on the hook and against the cap for all of it once he plays Sunday. It is unlikely that they would cut and sign someone else and waste that cap. Unless it happens before Sunday.

Pretty long once the season starts.  He is making almost 900K in salary and since he is a vet the Bills will be on the hook and against the cap for all of it once he plays Sunday.  It is unlikely that they would cut and sign someone else and waste that cap.  Unless it happens before Sunday.

433447[/snapback]

correct me if i am wrong, but even though we would take the cap hit, it won't affect us for next season. France would probably take just barely above the league minimum compared to being out of the NFL for a season. Would you pay the extra few hundred thousand for a potential improvement over Lindell. I don't see it as wasted cap if we aren't going to sign anyone else during the season. If we have the room to do it, why not?

correct me if i am wrong, but even though we would take the cap hit, it won't affect us for next season.  France would probably take just barely above the league minimum compared to being out of the NFL for a season.  Would you pay the extra few hundred thousand for a potential improvement over Lindell.  I don't see it as wasted cap if we aren't going to sign anyone else during the season.  If we have the room to do it, why not?

433457[/snapback]

Not sure how long his contract is for, but we would take any bonus hit left next year. In addition you lose the whole 900K plus his bonus for this year. So it would be well over a million hit for a kicker. Plus 400K or so for the minimum on another kicker. That's a lot of dough for one position.

If they were going to do something I would suspect we would have a kicker on the PS already.

I heard the reason Lindell was stinking it up last week was because they were trying out new Long snappers.  They have settled on one and are impressed with Lindell.

433476[/snapback]

They have been impressed with Lindell since he got here... needless to say i am losing patience... the short miss against detroit was enough to swing me from Lindell is ok... to... Lets make a change

I try to look at this disaster in a different way. Now, every time we are inside the 40 yd. line, we have an extra down. We should just gameplan to get a first down in 4 plays instead of 3. Be like the Rams that game years ago when Wilkins got hurt and they went for it every 4th down and every 2pt. conversion (set the record). We should just assume we have no kicker and give our offense an extra down to play with. Worse case scenario, we turn the ball over. Better than turing the ball over AND giving up 7 more yds. when Lindell biffs the kick.

:blink:

Not sure how long his contract is for, but we would take any bonus hit left next year.  In addition you lose the whole 900K plus his bonus for this year.  So it would be well over a million hit for a kicker.  Plus 400K or so for the minimum on another kicker.  That's a lot of dough for one position.

If they were going to do something I would suspect we would have a kicker on the PS already.

433474[/snapback]

I would pay 1.5 million to improve this team... Ralph wilson will still turn a profit, and we will have a better team on the field... 1.5 million to improve this team i am all for. The question is, can we spend that 1.5 million in a better way to improve the team? Right now i don't think we can. But of course i say this from my lounge chair.

Pretty long once the season starts. He is making almost 900K in salary and since he is a vet the Bills will be on the hook and against the cap for all of it once he plays Sunday. It is unlikely that they would cut and sign someone else and waste that cap. Unless it happens before Sunday.

Let me see... cut him and absorb the rest of his amortized bonus on next year's cap, OR lose 3-5 games because of his unreliability? Yeah, that's a tough decision.

Yes it is tough because the first part regarding the cap hit is fact, the rest is pure speculation. At most last year there were two kicks missed that could have helped them win a game, though still not certain. I'm all for getting a better kicker, but before I'd spend $1.5 mil, I'd want to make certain it truely is an improvment.

And you're suggesting the Bills spend $1.5 mil on that position and bring in a new guy who has very little of a track record. If a guy like Adam Vinaterri was available, I'm sure they'd be willing to take that chance.

The thing that scares me about France too as was pointed out the other day, if you recall the first year Moormon was here, by the end of the season his leg was tired from NFL Europe + the NFl season. That happening to a field goal kicker can be even worse.

Let me see... cut him and absorb the rest of his amortized bonus on next year's cap,  OR lose 3-5 games because of his unreliability?  Yeah, that's a tough decision.

433682[/snapback]

I heard the reason Lindell was stinking it up last week was because they were trying out new Long snappers.  They have settled on one and are impressed with Lindell.

433476[/snapback]

:unsure:

That doesn't explain why he sucked last year. He cost us a couple of games early. The Jags game comes to mind.

QUOTE(NJ_BillsFan @ Sep 8 2005, 11:15 AM)

I heard the reason Lindell was stinking it up last week was because they were trying out new Long snappers. They have settled on one and are impressed with Lindell.

:doh:

That doesn't explain why he sucked last year.  He cost us a couple of games early.  The Jags game comes to mind.

434488[/snapback]

Must be Lindell's had a long simmering hard-on for Dorenboros. :unsure: