Could Peters play Fullback?

Max Fischer

I probably missed it, but I wonder why the Bills haven't tried Peters at Fullback. He certainly has the speed and blocking ability but I guess he may have trouble blocking in space. Then again, who'll get in his way? RB would get lost behind him.

The defense will no doubt think "run" but Peters could run a pass route. D may "forget" to cover him.

I may be completely insane (another story), but I thought Peters did that fullback role just once or twice last season.

Maybe I was dreaming. Any Bills statisticians out there to help?

That would seem to be a good role for him, since he could even catch an outlet pass from there. I think Newfeld has done that H-back spot on occasion.

I probably missed it, but I wonder why the Bills haven't tried Peters at Fullback.  He certainly has the speed and blocking ability but I guess he may have trouble blocking in space. Then again, who'll get in his way?  RB would get lost behind him.

The defense will no doubt think "run" but Peters could run a pass route.  D may "forget" to cover him.

432392[/snapback]

With how good everyone hear makes Peters out to be....Saturday Night Live should be coming out with a "Peters" skit to replace the previous "Ditka" skit.

Jason Peters.....the best NFL player that can't start at any position, even though he's a stud at each one. :lol:

With how good everyone hear makes Peters out to be....Saturday Night Live should be coming out with a "Peters" skit to replace the previous "Ditka" skit.

Jason Peters.....the best NFL player that can't start at any position, even though he's a stud at each one.  :lol:

432405[/snapback]

No schit! I'm still waiting for the first "Peters at QB" post.

Is this thread serious, or did you mean to put a :lol: thingie at the end.

432400[/snapback]

Why is it crazy? The guy is a TE, can obviously block, and he's pretty damn fast and agile - and he can catch the ball. With a head of steam he can push a goalline pile all by himself.

I may be completely insane (another story), but I thought Peters did that fullback role just once or twice last season.

Maybe I was dreaming. Any Bills statisticians out there to help?

That would seem to be a good role for him, since he could even catch an outlet pass from there. I think Newfeld has done that H-back spot on occasion.

432404[/snapback]

It's hard to believe some things about Peters. We have to have the most UNATHLETIC, slowest Tight Ends in Pro Football.

I don't think any of our TE's strike fear in any NFL defense. Supposedly admitted by the coaching staff and fans, Peters is a good blocker, has great hands, is athletically gifted, and is even unblockable, if he has to be on special teams. He is also so damn athletic, that he is a walking miracle of an athlete.

Now, something doesn't add up. If our TE's are primarily used for blocking, and pretty much have no speed......why is Peters not able to crack the lineup, even though everyone thinks he's Jackie Slater, Ozzie Newsome and Lynn Swann all rolled into one super human being?

PETERS ISN'T as good as people make him out to be.

Why is it crazy?  The guy is a TE, can obviously block, and he's pretty damn fast and agile - and he can catch the ball.  With a head of steam he can push a goalline pile all by himself.

432417[/snapback]

OK, then explain why he can't crack the lineup as a TE. Our TE's are awful. They put the fear in no NFL defenses. And if they do, I can't imagine why.

Doesn't add up. Don't believe the hype.

Hell, I think Peters should just be the Buffalo Bills.

Sunday - 1 pm

Houston Texans at Peters

He doesn't even need a first name.....he's so good, he'll be the football version of Madonna!

432426[/snapback]

Why do some people have an issue with Peter's

he our backup LT and has secured the backup LT role with less then 1 years experience playing the position. he looked very good this preseason.

He has come in as a tackle elidgible on a few plays this preseason as well.

i know some people are tired of the Peters references, but the fact is he's a dynamite football player who is being groomed as a LT.

Peters as a fullback IMO is an interesting concept. he is fast, he has hands , and he can block. however we already have a very goof FB on the roster.

Hell, I think Peters should just be the Buffalo Bills.

Sunday - 1 pm

Houston Texans at Peters

He doesn't even need a first name.....he's so good, he'll be the football version of Madonna!

432426[/snapback]

I get a chuckle from the "why not play Peters at <name a position>" threads. That being said, his play at LT during the preseason has been a pleasant surprise. I don't believe he is ready to be a starter, but if he continues his improvement, he could challenge for a spot in 2006.

PS I love the idea that he should drop his first name and simply be known as "Peters". :lol:

Why do some people have an issue with Peter's

he our backup LT and has secured the backup LT role with less then 1 years experience playing the position. he looked very good this preseason.

He has come in as a tackle elidgible on a few plays this preseason as well.

i know some people are tired of the Peters references, but the fact is he's a dynamite football player who is being groomed as a LT.

Peters as a fullback IMO is an interesting concept. he is fast, he has hands , and he can block. however we already have a very goof FB on the roster.

432466[/snapback]

Again, he's sooooo good. But no one can answer the question of why he can't start anywhere, for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 5 years.

Fast.....Hands.....Can Block......and yet, we have the TE corps that we have, and Peters was drafted as a TE, but yet, he can't play that position.

So, all I ask is.....what gives? Why is the the next Jim Thorpe, who obviously should be playing both ways, sitting most of the games on the bench? Biggest mystery since the Bermuda Triangle.

I get a chuckle from the "why not play Peters at <name a position>"  threads.  That being said, his play at LT during the preseason has been a pleasant surprise.  I don't believe he is ready to be a starter, but if he continues his improvement, he could challenge for a spot in 2006.

PS I love the idea that he should drop his first name and simply be known as "Peters". :lol:

432478[/snapback]

Agreed. But his play is a surprise at LT because he never played there before. And, we are all judging him by the fact that guys aren't just flying through or around him untouched. He's not that good at LT yet either.

I don't get it. It just seems like everyone latches onto players sometimes, hoping that they can say "look how smart I am" if they do pan out miraculously.

All these things he does sooooo well, but yet, can't start for us.....especially at TE.

Again, he's sooooo good.  But no one can answer the question of why he can't start anywhere, for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 5 years.

Fast.....Hands.....Can Block......and yet, we have the TE corps that we have, and Peters was drafted as a TE,  but yet, he can't play that position. 

So, all I ask is.....what gives?  Why is the the next Jim Thorpe, who obviously should be playing both ways, sitting most of the games on the bench?  Biggest mystery since the Bermuda Triangle.

432482[/snapback]

Because other than Qb, the hardest position in the NFL to play based on decision making is TE. Peters, atleast according to his college testing, is not very brightly lit bulb and it takes a lot of read/react/ finding seems and zones/adjustable blocking assignments to be a TE. Peters certainly is a gifted athlete, but his mental development to atleast obtain "football smarts" must continue.

Again, he's sooooo good.  But no one can answer the question of why he can't start anywhere, for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 5 years.

Fast.....Hands.....Can Block......and yet, we have the TE corps that we have, and Peters was drafted as a TE,  but yet, he can't play that position. 

So, all I ask is.....what gives?  Why is the the next Jim Thorpe, who obviously should be playing both ways, sitting most of the games on the bench?  Biggest mystery since the Bermuda Triangle.

432482[/snapback]

So why don't the top teams just take great athletes from anywhere and pop them right into their starting line-ups? That's about as smart as your question. You don't think there is quite a jump from not playing a position EVER to starting in the NFL at left tackle? You think, perchance, a coaching staff may want to give a player a year to learn the position when they always want to do that with players who have played that position their entire lives? There is no question this guy is a freakish athlete. There is no question he needs to be taught how to play the position before he can play as a starter. He didnt even play all that much TE in college, he started out as a DL.

He offered to move to LT last year because he thought it would give him a better chance to make the team, not to mention they make twice as much money as TEs. He can't start anywhere RIGHT NOW because he's still learning the most fundamental of the techniques required to play the position in college, let alone the NFL. People are suggesting that he play TE and FB in situations for a play at a time, in special situations, because he happens to have some soft hands, too, not to be the permanent starter there.

Because other than Qb, the hardest position in the NFL to play based on decision making is TE. Peters, atleast according to his college testing, is not very brightly lit bulb and it takes a lot of read/react/ finding seems and zones/adjustable blocking assignments to be a TE. Peters certainly is a gifted athlete, but his mental development to atleast obtain "football smarts" must continue.

432507[/snapback]

Could be true.....but you're reaching. This "animal" who is agile, fast, gifted, can block and athletic, should be able to create space anywhere.

I mean seriously.....come on......if it's a run, you block someone. If it's a pass.....run your route, or run to where no one is in the zone. It's not brain surgery. I'm pretty sure an NFL coach who has pretty much nothing to do all day but think of TE play, could get that through Peter's head. If he can't, do you really want this moron protecting JP's blindside.

Obviously, to all Peters maniacs....he does both so well, but yet can't start. Willis McGahee isn't the sharpest tool in the shed either, but he seems to do pretty well. He knows the plays, and understands blocking assignments and blitz pickups adequately.

I have a hard time believing that if Lonnie Johnson once started for the Bills at TE, then someone as gifted as Jim Thorpe, I mean Peters, couldn't see the field at TE for us now.

So why don't the top teams just take great athletes from anywhere and pop them right into their starting line-ups? That's about as smart as your question. You don't think there is quite a jump from not playing a position EVER to starting in the NFL at left tackle? You think, perchance, a coaching staff may want to give a player a year to learn the position when they always want to do that with players who have played that position their entire lives? There is no question this guy is a freakish athlete. There is no question he needs to be taught how to play the position before he can play as a starter. He didnt even play all that much TE in college, he started out as a DL.

He offered to move to LT last year because he thought it would give him a better chance to make the team, not to mention they make twice as much money as TEs. He can't start anywhere RIGHT NOW because he's still learning the most fundamental of the techniques required to play the position in college, let alone the NFL. People are suggesting that he play TE and FB in situations for a play at a time, in special situations, because he happens to have some soft hands, too, not to be the permanent starter there.

432514[/snapback]

This really has nothing to do with anything.......all I hear from the Peters camp is how he's fast. He's so gifted with his hands. Oh, but wait....he's not only an "unblockable demon" (actually used on this board), but he can also block well too.

Now, wait, take a step back from the computer for a second. Close your eyes, and dream up a perfect NFL TE. Ummmm, by reading this board, you have Peters.

But wait. For some reason, he doesn't or couldn't even play for the team that has the worst TE's in the league.

Now, how the hell does this make any sense?

All I hear is excuses. And plans. And how hard football is. BS, if he's that good, he'd be on the field somewhere. Period.

This really has nothing to do with anything.......all I hear from the Peters camp is how he's fast.  He's so gifted with his hands.  Oh, but wait....he's not only an "unblockable demon" (actually used on this board), but he can also block well too.

Now, wait, take a step back from the computer for a second.  Close your eyes, and dream up a perfect NFL TE.  Ummmm, by reading this board, you have Peters. 

But wait.  For some reason, he doesn't or couldn't even play for the team that has the worst TE's in the league. 

Now, how the hell does this make any sense?

All I hear is excuses.  And plans.  And how hard football is.  BS, if he's that good, he'd be on the field somewhere.  Period.

432525[/snapback]

No, that's looking at it like a grade schooler. The best tight ends know how to get open, read defenses, go down seams, catch the ball in traffic, use their bodies to get position, run great routes, etc. No one has said he can do any of these things, as astute AKC pointed out to me last year that Peters doesnt seem to look like he is agile running patterns. He is straight down the field fast but not necessarily receiver fast or able to run patterns.

He's also, I believe, going to be on all four of the special teams squads. And will likely be in on offense as a tackle, and TE in goalline and short yardage, and likely be our starter next year.