Could Peters play Fullback?

Max Fischer

This really has nothing to do with anything.......all I hear from the Peters camp is how he's fast.  He's so gifted with his hands.  Oh, but wait....he's not only an "unblockable demon" (actually used on this board), but he can also block well too.

Now, wait, take a step back from the computer for a second.  Close your eyes, and dream up a perfect NFL TE.  Ummmm, by reading this board, you have Peters. 

But wait.  For some reason, he doesn't or couldn't even play for the team that has the worst TE's in the league. 

Now, how the hell does this make any sense?

All I hear is excuses.  And plans.  And how hard football is.  BS, if he's that good, he'd be on the field somewhere.  Period.

432525[/snapback]

It doesn't make sense to you because you fail to accept the fact that it DOES take intelligence to play that position. Intelligence relative to Football atleast. Having experience seeing things in live game situations and making reads on the fly, and finding your way around in "space" are also huge factors to succeeding at the position. I suppose at some point that experience could diminish the need for intelligence here.

I think y'all are complicating a relatively simple issue.

LT is one of the most difficult positions to fill in this league, while TE is a position you can fill with a bunch of dime-a-dozen players who won't hurt you. If you have a guy wiht the potential upside to play a hard-to-fill position, you train him to do it, instead of wasting his talents on a position where it's not all that hard to plug in an average player. Especially when a well-respected voice like Mouse McNally says hey, I can work with this guy.

I'd much rather see Peters being properly groomed to play the "elite" position of LT, than to waste his untapped talent by asking him to learn on the job while just playing TE.

Cya

No, that's looking at it like a grade schooler. The best tight ends know how to get open, read defenses, go down seams, catch the ball in traffic, use their bodies to get position, run great routes, etc. No one has said he can do any of these things, as astute AKC pointed out to me last year that Peters doesnt seem to look like he is agile running patterns. He is straight down the field fast but not necessarily receiver fast or able to run patterns.

He's also, I believe, going to be on all four of the special teams squads. And will likely be in on offense as a tackle, and TE in goalline and short yardage, and likely be our starter next year.

432530[/snapback]

Yeah, because football isn't brain surgery like some of you make it out to be. So, you mean to tell me that our TE's coach couldn't teach Peters to "read" seams? Which is basically running into the part of the zone between coverage guys?

Or, that this gifted specimen couldn't learn to run a good out pattern. Or hold his block for two seconds and then release into the zone for a quick hitter? You don't think you could stand there on the field and press Peter's fat ass up against Lawyer Milloy and say....."Look Peters, if you are between the football and the DB, you have a better chance of catching it and shielding the defender from the ball."

Gimmie a break. He isn't on the field, cuz he's not that good. Doesn't mean he won't be. But he isn't. Wasn't really that good in college. Went undrafted by everyone but us. Couldn't cut it as a TE when we REALLY NEED TE's.

Ummmmm, if this isn't as obvious as OJ's trial, I don't know what is.

If this guy was that good, he would be on the field SOMEWHERE. College or Pro.

No, that's looking at it like a grade schooler. The best tight ends know how to get open, read defenses, go down seams, catch the ball in traffic, use their bodies to get position, run great routes, etc. No one has said he can do any of these things, as astute AKC pointed out to me last year that Peters doesnt seem to look like he is agile running patterns. He is straight down the field fast but not necessarily receiver fast or able to run patterns.

He's also, I believe, going to be on all four of the special teams squads. And will likely be in on offense as a tackle, and TE in goalline and short yardage, and likely be our starter next year.

432530[/snapback]

The guy is a physical freak. It's up to the qb to place the ball. Heck,decades ago I laughed myself silly when TE Ray Chester caught a ball, and SD's talented db Speedy Duncan jumped on his back and beat him on the helmet like he was playing a bongo solo. Chester carried him about 20 yards. :lol:

Yeah, because football isn't brain surgery like some of you make it out to be.  So, you mean to tell me that our TE's coach couldn't teach Peters to "read" seams?  Which is basically running into the part of the zone between coverage guys?

Or, that this gifted specimen couldn't learn to run a good out pattern.  Or hold his block for two seconds and then release into the zone for a quick hitter?  You don't think you could stand there on the field and press Peter's fat ass up against Lawyer Milloy and say....."Look Peters, if you are between the football and the DB, you have a better chance of catching it and shielding the defender from the ball."

Gimmie a break.  He isn't on the field, cuz he's not that good.  Doesn't mean he won't be.  But he isn't.  Wasn't really that good in college.  Went undrafted by everyone but us.  Couldn't cut it as a TE when we REALLY NEED TE's.

Ummmmm, if this isn't as obvious as OJ's trial, I don't know what is.

If this guy was that good, he would be on the field SOMEWHERE.  College or Pro.

432547[/snapback]

You're right. My Bad. If I were the Bills I would cut Peters and sign Lance Armstrong. Then we could have you explain the position to him and 15 minutes later we'd have an all-pro on our hands. We'd never lose. We could cut Gandy and then just sign The Rock, have him email you, and BOOM! ten minutes later a perrenial all-pro.

I think y'all are complicating a relatively simple issue.

LT is one of the most difficult positions to fill in this league, while TE is a position you can fill with a bunch of dime-a-dozen players who won't hurt you. If you have a guy wiht the potential upside to play a hard-to-fill position, you train him to do it, instead of wasting his talents on a position where it's not all that hard to plug in an average player. Especially when a well-respected voice like Mouse McNally says hey, I can work with this guy.

I'd much rather see Peters being properly groomed to play the "elite" position of LT, than to waste his untapped talent by asking him to learn on the job while just playing TE.

Cya

432546[/snapback]

While LT is certainly the harder position to fill (based on talent), I would strongly disagree IF you are trying to say that TE is an easy position to learn.

While LT is certainly the harder position to fill (based on talent), I would strongly disagree IF you are trying to say that TE is an easy position to learn.

Nope, in fact I think the mental part of playing LT is a hell of a lot easier to grasp than playing TE.

Just saying that you can plug a guy in at TE and even if he isn't a world-beater, he still won't really hurt you. On the other hand, you can't just plug guys in at LT, so if McNally says he can turn this kid into a legitimate LT then you let him go for it.

I see it as a matter of maximizing your assets.

Cya

Why is it crazy?  The guy is a TE, can obviously block, and he's pretty damn fast and agile - and he can catch the ball.  With a head of steam he can push a goalline pile all by himself.

432417[/snapback]

Hey maybe we can make a trade with the Giants for Jared Lorenzen (their 280lb "agile" 3rd string QB) and we can run some 2 QB sets. Even better we could just QB sneak it all day!! I mean who can tackle a 280lb QB?!? :lol:

Nope, in fact I think the mental part of playing LT is a hell of a lot easier to grasp than playing TE.

Just saying that you can plug a guy in at TE and even if he isn't a world-beater, he still won't really hurt you. On the other hand, you can't just plug guys in at LT, so if McNally says he can turn this kid into a legitimate LT then you let him go for it.

I see it as a matter of maximizing your assets.

Cya

432568[/snapback]

Cool, I'd agree with that line of thinking then.

You're right. My Bad. If I were the Bills I would cut Peters and sign Lance Armstrong. Then we could have you explain the position to him and 15 minutes later we'd have an all-pro on our hands. We'd never lose. We could cut Gandy and then just sign The Rock, have him email you, and BOOM! ten minutes later a perrenial all-pro.

432556[/snapback]

Actually, you could do that. I don't think I would be on board with that though.

Hey, don't blame me for this crap. I'm only going by what you guys tell me about Peters. He's so gifted. He's an animal. A physical freak. Has great hands. Is real fast. An unblockable demon. He also can block. Basically when Peters shows up for practice, everyone stands around and marvels at him just doing stretches even.

You would think with all of these accolades, that he would start somewhere. College or pro. I never thought of Lance Armstrong or The Rock as having any attributes that all of you guys give Peters., thus I will rule them out.

We are so lucky to have this monstrosity sitting on our bench.....because he's so athletic on the bench, we are just that much further ahead of other teams non-starters on the bench.

So, now because of Peters, we are #2 in defense, #1 in ST, and #1 in athelticism on the bench.

Oh boy.

432562[/snapback]

Again, saying that TE is so hard to learn is basically calling Peters a mentally retarded football player. Along with a mentally retarded TE coach. Of course, he'd be the most gifted at that too, but still.

How hard can TE actually be? I mean seriously, we arent' talking about trying to protect the space shuttle from blowing up upon re-entry, we are talking about this all world football player, with freakish skills getting open on pass routes. Or blocking even.

Again, when he has all year to learn to run where the defense isn't covering (seam), and he also has a coach to teach him that all year, I have a hard time buying with all of these physical skills I hear about, that he can't find his way on the field.

Actually, you could do that.  I don't think I would be on board with that though.

Hey, don't blame me for this crap.  I'm only going by what you guys tell me about Peters.  He's so gifted.  He's an animal.  A physical freak.  Has great hands.  Is real fast.  An unblockable demon. He also can block.  Basically when Peters shows up for practice, everyone stands around and marvels at him just doing stretches even.

You would think with all of these accolades, that he would start somewhere.  College or pro.  I never thought of Lance Armstrong or The Rock as having any attributes that all of you guys give Peters., thus I will rule them out. 

We are so lucky to have this monstrosity sitting on our bench.....because he's so athletic on the bench, we are just that much further ahead of other teams non-starters on the bench. 

So, now because of Peters, we are #2 in defense, #1 in ST, and #1 in athelticism on the bench.

Oh boy.

432667[/snapback]

So the Bills should have had Tory Woodbury starting last year instead of Bledsoe. What do you need experience for? He has just as strong an arm, and way better running ability and at least he played quarterback in college. He's a freak of nature at QB, you dont need to know anything other than to have physical gifts, right? He knows how to call plays, he called them in college. Why even draft football players we should just draft Decatheletes and Gymnasts and Boxers from the U S Olympic team.

So the Bills should have had Tory Woodbury starting last year instead of Bledsoe. What do you need experience for? He has just as strong an arm, and way better running ability and at least he played quarterback in college. He's a freak of nature at QB, you dont need to know anything other than to have physical gifts, right? He knows how to call plays, he called them in college. Why even draft football players we should just draft Decatheletes and Gymnasts and Boxers from the U S Olympic team.

432686[/snapback]

No, and again, this has nothing to do with anything. Tory Woodbury pretty much sucks to most people. Let's see here......Throw Woodbury in with The Rock and Lance. I don't want him either.

I'm only going on what you guys tell me. Again, out of the Peters camp.....Great Hands, pure athlete, fast, demon, unblockable, helluva blocker, and just a physical specimen.

I'm just waiting for a real answer of why he isn't on the field somewhere. Haven't gotten one yet. He's all of these unreal, superhuman things, yet he can't start.

And I could buy that he can't start in some cases. But are you fuggin kidding me?......this multi-gifted athlete gets picked up as a TE, but yet can't crack the starting spot on a team that has the worst TE's in football. And the last I've heard, I haven't heard of anyone using these attricbutes on Euhus, Campbell, and the rest of the ungifted TE's we have.

And then, this monstrosity of an athlete in Peters, also can't crack the LT spot over a guy who was RELEASES by his previous team.

Does that stuff not sink in? I don't know how much more proof one can throw out there.

Recapping:

Can't start at TE on a team that has the worst TE's in the league.

Can't start in college either.

Can't start at LT over someone released by his previous team.

Has no brains.

But yet, he is this guy (you would think by reading this board) that the league just can't wait to make bobbleheads of so that they can go on Ebay for about $500 a pop. Move over Wall of Fame, make room Jim, Thurman, Kent, and the rest of the boys.....Peters will be the first one inducted on just the specimen that he is. A fat lumpy one, who sometimes made some people think that he might actually be able to play in this league someday.

I just don't get the hype I guess. I, and the rest of the football world, must have missed out on this "freak".

Hey maybe we can make a trade with the Giants for Jared Lorenzen (their 280lb "agile" 3rd string QB) and we can run some 2 QB sets. Even better we could just QB sneak it all day!! I mean who can tackle a 280lb QB?!? :D

432581[/snapback]

You're analysis is awe inspiring.