first series against Texans

1billsfan

I don't like that.  If they run Willis first... I bet he only gets 3 yards... then a bomb, incomplete... it is 3rd and 7.  Less than 50% chance of getting the first down from there.  I think the first chance to get a first down in any game is important, but in the first game in the season, and the first for JP... I think it is a necessity.

I say shotgun on the first play, and a short route to Moulds, Campbell, or even McGahee.  Make it a high percentage passing play... punishing the Texans for thinking run.  On 2nd and 5 run McGahee, leaving us with a 3rd and 1 possibly.  Much higher percentage from there.

But what do I know...

432335[/snapback]

Or you could run a bomb right off the bat, then run Willis on second and you’re still looking at 3rd and long. Obviously the deep ball is not a high percentage play but you need to take your shots at some point. Teams like to go deep off turnovers because a defense tends to be relaxed, the opposite can be said about defenses for the start of a game but it makes the deep pass just as effective.

The Texans are expecting the Bills to run often. You show them what they expect, and then you try and go over the top. If it’s completed we likely get points out our first drive, if not the coverage will get a little softer which should make the rest of the day a little more comfortable for JP.

Time will tell

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom line is, you need to do something to get JP off the jitters...much like MM did last year at one point where he had him run a bootleg on his first play just to get the juices going. You know JP is going to come onto the field, and the stadium will be rocking like nothing he's ever heard before, and it'll be schittinpurpletwinkies time.

Start with some simple high-percentage stuff just to settle in, but go pass, not run.

Still, here is a list of things I would like to see us not do:

- Do not have a false start on the first play

- Do not call a time out on the first play because you are running out of time as you are going to the line

- Do not throw a pick that gets returned for six

- Do not get sacked

The more I think about it, the Bills really should go "No Huddle" offense with Losman mostly passing and bootlegging (few running plays) the first couple of series and here's why:

Just to stay alive, Losman thrived in a frantic offensive pace over at Tulane

Losman will not have any time to think too much, making him play on instinct

If he turns the ball over there's at least three quarters to recover

Everyone on the planet knows the Texans are going to key everyone on McGahee

Make the Texans get out of the eight man in a box to open up the running game

Capers will not expect it, capers will not expect it, capers will not expect it

432212[/snapback]

Everyone and their kid sister knows that the Texans will put 8 guys in the box on 1st down and blitz.

A rollout MIGHT work if JP can look up and see if the set up is unbalanced (ie roll out to the side with fewer players). Otherwise, the quick slant is the best option - to Evans or Moulds (whomever is put in motion is the guy)

No question give the ball to McGahee the first two plays.  After that base your thirddown on positioning.  Yet you have to start out pounding the ball.  Everything that we hope to accomplish this year starts with the run. 

1,800 and 18 touchdowns. 

t-r

432341[/snapback]

I see nips!

i like the idea of scoring a TD i dont give a rats ass how its done.

432907[/snapback]

True. Personally i want to see the playbook opened up. Let JP do his thing and march down the field for a td. I would love to see him go 6 for 6 on the opening series with a couple of running plays in the mix. But, it's just a dream.

I'm surprised that this thread does not have as a suggestion what I think is most likely to happen (but the great thing about MM/TC is that they are tricky devils so who knows really).

1st down- WM run (take your pick left, right, or middle wherever we think they are most exploitable).

2nd down- WM run (if they aren't 8 in the box right away they will be by this run).

3rd down- It depends on the down and distance and the luck and success we have on the first two runs. If WM breaks a couple of tackles and we get the first, then the variation comes from also running the FB or running Burns or Shaud if WM needs a bloe.

If one of their LBs shoots the gap well and WM takes a loss we throw on third down (though the way JP runs for his life it would not surprise me if this turns into a running play anyway with JP trying to get a long gain for the 1st.

Most likely, WM picks up 7+ to 9 on the first two runs and we go for a short yardage run on 3rd, As I have little confidence in the ability of this line to blow folks back, I think we get stopped and have to punt, but no matter as we ran three bruising run plays and began the punishment of the D.

I don't care if the O scores little in the first 2-3 quarters, because Ws are determined by the final score. I expect our D to hold the line or deliver short fields to the O so that by the time the 4th quarter rolls around the score is tight and we have worn down the opposing D and as occured last year WM picks up the bulk of his yards rolling over 100 total in the 4th quarter.

If the ST plays as well as last year (a likelihood to me since even the ? of Lindell production was something we had last year) then we actually may have a lead and running against a worn down opponent will give us the W in a laugher.

JP may open up with some frantic passes to set up the run game, but I think the winning strategy for us to run the ball on 1st and then to run it again even if they dare us to run with 8 in the box.

If we can run on this we win and if they can stop us, but we punish tem setting up for the 4th quarter because our D kept us in the game or the ST gives us a lead (be it a McGee, Clements or Smith return or a Lindell spffy onside kick the start the 2nd half) then we win anyway.

Run the ball and then run it again even if they stop us initially and is boring as anything even if they do not stop us. The important thing is not the first series, the important thing is the score after the last series. I think we will be on the correct side of that score if we run and then run it again virtually regardless of initial success in moving the ball.

McGee....kickoff return for a touchdown.

The strenght of our team is defense. Let the team run it with McGahee, let the o-line tee of on some defensive players. If we go 3 and out, so be it. I'd like to see the first few possessions more conservative and then really open it up.

1st play ...... play action fake Willis up the middle, while J.P. rolls to the right looking for an open reciever (with an option to run it if no one is open).

2nd play ...... hand off to Wills running right, who in turn hands off to Evans on a reverse.

3rd play ...... J.P. dumps off to the TE.

McGahee, McGahee, McGahee. We have to get respect for the running came, play clock control, and take the pressure off Losman through the first quarter if at all possible. The passing game will come along in the last three quarters, but unless we play some smash mouth football the first quarter and get Houston respecting the run we are in for a long afternoon. I predict we win 17-14.

The more I think about it, the Bills really should go "No Huddle" offense with Losman mostly passing and bootlegging (few running plays) the first couple of series and here's why:

Just to stay alive, Losman thrived in a frantic offensive pace over at Tulane

Losman will not have any time to think too much, making him play on instinct

If he turns the ball over there's at least three quarters to recover

Everyone on the planet knows the Texans are going to key everyone on McGahee

Make the Texans get out of the eight man in a box to open up the running game

Capers will not expect it, capers will not expect it, capers will not expect it

432212[/snapback]

My fiendish plan for our first possession is so clever, so diabolical, so deceptively simple that our enemies will never expect it: we should score.

Heckuva plan aint it?

McGahee, McGahee, McGahee.  We have to get respect for the running came, play clock control, and take the pressure off Losman through the first quarter if at all possible.  The passing game will come along in the last three quarters, but unless we play some smash mouth football the first quarter and get Houston respecting the run we are in for a long afternoon.  I predict we win 17-14.

433837[/snapback]

That only works if you gain yards. Running often doesn't gain respect or TOP, running well does.