Bush uses firefighters for props

Dr. K

I agree, things are not black-white and right or left only.  That's what I thought I said in my last response.

The question I have is this simple one:  why do you object to someone calling you "right wing" when you say yourself you are a "Libertarian or old-school conservative"?

432265[/snapback]

To me, right-wing is radical right. Same with left-wing being radical left.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, right-wing is radical right. Same with left-wing being radical left.

432292[/snapback]

Ah, now I see. No wonder you guys hate me, if you equate all of the "left wing" with Joe Stalin. I do not equate all of the "right wing" with Adolf Hitler.

I for instance, have no use for the kind of Democrats who vote for abolishing the estate tax

432227[/snapback]

Until you find out that it also eliminates the step up in basis on inherited assets. So there will probably be more taxation due to that. So the Dems voting for the repeal actually voted for more taxes being paid down the road. That's a good thing right?? But the elimiation in the step up in basis affects everyone, even lower income people so that's bad right? Confusing ain't it? :lol:

Ah, now I see.  No wonder you guys hate me, if you equate all of the "left wing" with Joe Stalin.  I do not equate all of the "right wing" with Adolf Hitler.

432311[/snapback]

And to add a further complication there are many on the left who feel that Jesus was the most "radical leftist" of all. Easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God; sell all you have and distribute to the poor; if you have a cloak, give it to the poor, and the shirt off your back, too; hanging out with prostitutes and tax collectors, etc. etc.

Until you find out that it also eliminates the step up in basis on inherited assets.  So there will probably be more taxation due to that.  So the Dems voting for the repeal actually voted for more taxes being paid down the road.  That's a good thing right??  But the elimiation in the step up in basis affects everyone, even lower income people so that's bad right?  Confusing ain't it?  :lol:

432317[/snapback]

Just punish rich people. That is all that matters.

Until you find out that it also eliminates the step up in basis on inherited assets.  So there will probably be more taxation due to that.  So the Dems voting for the repeal actually voted for more taxes being paid down the road.  That's a good thing right??  But the elimiation in the step up in basis affects everyone, even lower income people so that's bad right?  Confusing ain't it?  :lol:

432317[/snapback]

I'm not against taxes. Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society. I pay a lot of taxes. But I'm against taxing lower income people more so that rich people and the children of rich people can pay less. I believe in government (at least potentially) as a force for good, that it's what separates us from the war of All against All that Hobbes wrote of. I don't believe in utopia, but I believe we can do better than we are doing today. I am a progressive small-d Garrison Keillor democrat.

I'm not against taxes.  Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society.  I pay a lot of taxes.  But I'm against taxing lower income people more so that rich people and the children of rich people can pay less.  I believe in government (at least potentially) as a force for good, that it's what separates us from the war of All against All that Hobbes wrote of.  I don't believe in utopia, but I believe we can do better than we are doing today.  I am a progressive small-d Garrison Keillor democrat.

432349[/snapback]

But most people don't realize that by repealing the estate tax it will be replaced by a more regressive tax structure. Right now only the "rich" suffer under the estate tax laws. Under the new law even the poorest of people with pay a higher tax when selling an inherited asset due to the lost step up in basis. This isn't talked about too much

I am between a Libertarian and an old-school conservative.

432204[/snapback]

So when you said that the "Libs" were always bitching, you meant the Libertarians. 0:)

It's cute that you pick out a fancy spot for yourself on the political spectrum and then classify anyone who disagrees with you as a Leftist or Liberal. :lol:

BTW, the most recent poll numbers that I've seen show that Bush's approval rating is down to 40% or as I like to call it the "Jimmy Carter Line". That means that a vast majority of Americans do not approve of his performance. I didn't know that Leftists make up 60% of the country.

It's cute that you pick out a fancy spot for yourself on the political spectrum and then classify anyone who disagrees with you as a Leftist or Liberal.    :lol:

432572[/snapback]

Point out where I called a rightie a liberal. I'll be waiting.

So when you said that the "Libs" were always bitching, you meant the Libertarians.  :( 

It's cute that you pick out a fancy spot for yourself on the political spectrum and then classify anyone who disagrees with you as a Leftist or Liberal.    :lol:

BTW, the most recent poll numbers that I've seen show that Bush's approval rating is down to 40% or as I like to call it the "Jimmy Carter Line".  That means that a vast majority of Americans do not approve of his performance.  I didn't know that Leftists make up 60% of the country.

432572[/snapback]

Jeez, I hope not, because if I do, that boat anchored in the Caribbean looks real good about now. Goodbye home equity, hello 40' Catalina! 0:)

I agree, things are not black-white and right or left only.  That's what I thought I said in my last response.

The question I have is this simple one:  why do you object to someone calling you "right wing" when you say yourself you are a "Libertarian or old-school conservative"?

432265[/snapback]

Probably because some of the most hateful awful people in history (like Hitler) were right wing and who would want to be associated with THEM?

It's all about the labeling. Or perfuming the pig so to speak. :lol:

Probably because some of the most hateful awful people in history (like Hitler) were right wing and who would want to be associated with THEM?

It's all about the labeling.  Or perfuming the pig so to speak. :lol:

432592[/snapback]

I don't think you are furthering your argument by bringing up Hitler. The right can pull up some really nice people like Stalin and Mao if the point is guilt by association.

I wouldn't associate ANY of the posters on this board with either of those 2 "gentlemen". Was the real purpose of your post to associate the people with a right wing slant with Hitler? If it was, then all I can say is "wow".

Dave.

I don't think you are furthering your argument by bringing up Hitler.  The right can pull up some really nice people like Stalin and Mao if the point is guilt by association. 

I wouldn't associate ANY of the posters on this board with either of those 2 "gentlemen".  Was the real purpose of your post to associate the people with a right wing slant with Hitler?  If it was, then all I can say is "wow".

Dave.

432620[/snapback]

Welcome to our world Dave. :lol:

Was the real purpose of your post to associate the people with a right wing slant with Hitler?  If it was, then all I can say is "wow".

Dave.

432620[/snapback]

You are obviously new to the board. This is typical.

Yeah, only the Libs B word. 

The Right wing nuts have filled every thread with blame for the mayor, the governor, the underwater busses, the media for telling the truth, Cindy Sheehan, and anything else that they can think of.  That's quite a contribution for the right.  :D

432189[/snapback]

You want to point out to me where I'm a right wing nut? And, what has been your "contribution", bucko? Oh, and I love the media telling the truth part. I've been working in a place where there is actually a statistic sheet being kept on the amount of media coverage that is innacurate and downright false. But, since it's being kept by the people actually responsible for providing actual situational awareness to the folks organizing and controlling things, from local to federal government - it must be a lie because it doesn't fit your venom. If you people ever took the time to look at stuff objectively, for what it's worth and got off you mantra - you might actually start to understand how things are. But no, understanding something would get in the way of soapboxes. Stick to football comments. You have nothing of value to add to anything past that.