Superdome...

Tom

be years before it will be rebuilt, if at all.

430371[/snapback]

Probably smells like a like a giant toilet bowl by now, too. Hosting big events is so much of what NO was all about, I think it's a lock they will build a new stadium, even if theSaints leave.

PTR

be years before it will be rebuilt, if at all.

430371[/snapback]

Undoubtedly will not be rebuilt unless it is clear the Saints are returning. There are too many other monetary requirements to commit funds to a stadium that may not have a pro team playing in it. And Tulane can move its games back to the campus stadium.

Of course there may be a Catch -22 situation here. Benson may state that he will not move back to New Orleans unless he has a new stadium. What do you do in that case?

Probably smells like a like a giant toilet bowl by now, too.  Hosting big events is so much of what NO was all about, I think it's a lock they will build a new stadium, even if theSaints leave.

PTR

430509[/snapback]

The saints are a shzit team so they should be used to the smell.

Undoubtedly will not be rebuilt unless it is clear the Saints are returning. 

430837[/snapback]

There was a Sugar Bowl long before there was a New Orleans Saints and they'll still want/need the revenue. Of course, future Sugar Bowls could be played at Tulane - like the first one was in 1935.

There was a Sugar Bowl long before there was a New Orleans Saints and they'll still want/need the revenue.  Of course, future Sugar Bowls could be played at Tulane - like the first one was in 1935.

430849[/snapback]

My guess is, the next Sugar Bowl or two will be held at Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge.

Mike

Did you see footage of inside the Superdome a couple days ago..

Disgusting...

430393[/snapback]

I just got back from New Orleans last night. I was in the Superdome Sunday morning. It is destroyed. As soon as I walked in my senses were overloaded with the most disgusting ammonia smell I could imagine. Every inch is covered in trash, human waste and/or floodwaters. Human waste was running on the floor out of each of the bathrooms.

I mean it is just unrepairable. The roof is really torn up on the outside, too.

I first went in early Tuesday morning. I was able to walk around on the field (I am a reporter who covers the military). As a football fan, it was cool to be there and see the big sideline posters of the different players. To stand there at the 50-yard-line was cool. There were a lot of people in there then, but they were lying around on in the stands.

I didn't get to go in again until Sunday.

It was about 110 degrees in there. Parts of the field's new grassy artificial turf had been burned. All the posters were gone. Tha score board were smashed. There was what I believe to have been a dead body lying in a row about 10 rows up from the 40-yard-line (it was definately a person, but I couldn't tell for sure if he was dead).

It was beyond disheartening.

I just got back from New Orleans last night. I was in the Superdome Sunday morning. It is destroyed. As soon as I walked in my senses were overloaded with the most disgusting ammonia smell I could imagine. Every inch is covered in trash, human waste and/or floodwaters. Human waste was running on the floor out of each of the bathrooms.

I mean it is just unrepairable. The roof is really torn up on the outside, too.

I first went in early Tuesday morning. I was able to walk around on the field (I am a reporter who covers the military). As a football fan, it was cool to be there and see the big sideline posters of the different players. To stand there at the 50-yard-line was cool. There were a lot of people in there then, but they were lying around on in the stands.

I didn't get to go in again until Sunday.

It was about 110 degrees in there. Parts of the field's new grassy artificial turn had been burned. All the posters were gone. Tha score board were smashed. There was what I believe to have been a dead body lying in a row about 10 rows up from the 40-yard-line (it was definately a person, but I couldn't tell for sure if he was dead).

It was beyond disheartening.

431240[/snapback]

Unspeakable.....

Other than being turned into a rape and murder palace by a certain number of the misunderstood huddled masses yearning to be free, I'm not aware of any structural damage that would preclude it not being fixed up, if need be.

431268[/snapback]

Engineers took a look at the roof Saturday and estimated the outside portion alone will take about $50 million. Add that to what it will take to put in new turf, replace at least half the seats, get the smell out of there, and fix all the water damage, which is quite substantial, and you are talking about way more money than New Orleans residents will be willing to pay. Remember, the team is only still there (pre-Katrina) because the city and state kicked in a ton of cash. Now, the state and city have a whole lot of more important things to pay for.

I spoke with several N.O. residents and they said there has been a strong movement for a while to get rid of the Superdome anyway.

Engineers took a look at the roof Saturday and estimated the outside portion alone will take about $50 million. Add that to what it will take to put in new turf, replace at least half the seats, get the smell out of there, and fix all the water damage, which is quite substantial, and you are talking about way more money than New Orleans residents will be willing to pay. Remember, the team is only still there (pre-Katrina) because the city and state kicked in a ton of cash. Now, the state and city have a whole lot of more important things to pay for.

I spoke with several N.O. residents and they said there has been a strong movement for a while to get rid of the Superdome anyway.

431272[/snapback]

But aren't stadiums usually insured for something like this?

Other than being turned into a rape and murder palace by a certain number of the misunderstood huddled masses yearning to be free, I'm not aware of any structural damage that would preclude it not being fixed up, if need be.

431268[/snapback]

Nothing broke that a bulldozer , can of gas and a match can't fix !