Why is Coy Wire Still Here?

BenchBledsoe

Well, we need someone to be offsides on punts like he was last night!!! Don't you understand that lame brain penalties are a crucial part of the strategy of the truly successful backup and ST star? If not our ST master, aka Steve Tasker's heir apparent, aka The One, Coy Wire, who sells really cool Asian text T-shirts to the rest of the team, then who, by Jove, WHO??

Yes, another very curious decision by TD. Wire stays, Lindell stays (no real competition even brought in), Haddad out while Wilson in, Ritzman out, 3 DEs on the roster. . . I'm am seriously questioning these decisions. Could it be that. . . gasp. . . TD is wrong? Many believe he is.

BB, every roster move is done for a specific reason and there is a method to the madness, it's just hard for a lot of us to see what MM and TD are envisioning. But CW, other than being able to say you have a backup with starting experience (even tho it's largely craptacular experience)... I don't for the life of me understand why this guy is still here.

Coy wire is still here for the same reason ryan neufeld and joe burns are sill here.They are super kick coverage guys who really dont do much else.Jon dorenbos only snaps,but one bad snap can lose a game for you..special teams are so important.Thats why guys like steve tasker,mark pike,adam lingner,ted koy,ethan albright,and willie parker played with the bills for a long time over the years.

why do some people on this board think they are so smart? good grief.....there are some tangibles a guy might have have that don't neccerily show up in the box score. Clearly he is a good coverage guy....and maybe he is a guy the other men on the coverage team look up to as a leader in the locker room. But more than that....with Nate Clemments licking his wounds.....if Troy Vincent moves over to CB...Coy Wire is a stop gap at FS for a game or two.

You are wrong on 2 counts:

1) Coy Wire is not a free safety.

2) Coy Wire is not a stop gap for anything.

428869[/snapback]

You are correct that Wire has not shown the pass coverage skills to be a starter at safety but back-ups virtually by definition are guys not good enough to start.

With the constraints of the salary cap and the need for immediate ST contribution from back-ups, getting a player like McGee who was a struggling back-up last year at CB and a Pro Bowl contributor on KR is certainly doable but tends to be the exception rather than the rule.

A player like Wire is oddly also the exception in a good way since many back-ups are simply inadequate players when called upon to start and Wire at least in an inadequate player to start with some NFL starter experience.

As far as ST, he says he is a different better player now that he has some expeience in the NFL and actually his ST performance leading the team in ST tackles against the Bears is an indicator this may be true.

He is not good enough to start at safety at all but easily belongs on this roster as a back-up who would be an inadequate starter.

Yes, another very curious decision by TD. Wire stays, Lindell stays (no real competition even brought in), Haddad out while Wilson in, Ritzman out, 3 DEs on the roster. . . I'm am seriously questioning these decisions. Could it be that. . . gasp. . . TD is wrong? Many believe he is.

428823[/snapback]

And we should take your evaluation over the Bills coaching staff because . . . ?

Somebody please explain. . . I cannot fathom it. You mean to tell me that they had all off season and this camp, and couldn't come up with anyone better than Coy Wire? What is going on here? I was certain he was gone.

428812[/snapback]

The thing I can think of is his smarts and leadership. He probably goes all out on every play which this coaching staff really likes.

The thing I can think of is his smarts and leadership.  He probably goes all out on every play which this coaching staff really likes.

429003[/snapback]

I'm sure the Special Olympics kids go all out too, but that doesn't stop the batting tee from pitching a perfect game. :)

That's some analogy- comparing Coy Wire to special olympic kids- wow :huh:

429412[/snapback]

It would be a push as to who could quicker identify Charlie Garner as their assignment out of the backfield.

That game against Oakland a few years ago cemented him as a pretender. Not big enough for LB, not fast enough for S. I'd have rather kept Haddad for ST.