New Orleans Mayor Interview

PTS

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a Liberterian pretty much against big government but this is a time when the federal government has to take over the responsibility of this. Nadin is trapped in a disaster. They (federal gov't) has the resources to deal with the disaster better than internally within the city.

427269[/snapback]

Well said. In essence, it's a nationalized version of mutual aid agreements b/w fire departments. The city can do certain things, such as gathering people en masse and doing the S&R they shouldn't have had to do b/c of the mandatory evacuation, but they had to do it. Combine the fact that police officers walked off the job and a thousand other little things that all collect to form a Big Problem.... As the saying goes, When you're up to your ass in alligators it's sometimes easy to forget that your primary objective was to drain the swamp. Expecting N.O. to have had a plan to deal with all of that and a lack of outside help is like asking the Podunk PD to evacuate the WTC, and it's pretty sh--ty. (As far as not being able to find a plan online, a lot of large cities have clammed up on providing info like that.) And, since when does "having a plan" equate to greatness and sure success, CTM? Similar to the NFL, there are coaches who script an entire game, and w/in the first minute, it's crumpled and laying on the AstroTurf. I would guess from all of the unexpected stuff, the same thing would have happened in N.O.

What this does teach us all is for municipalities and states not to entirely depend on a fast (w/in 3 days) govt response, and realize that in a dire emergency, it might be self-help for quite a while. This is a good thing, I suppose. The "Lessons Learned" reading on this will rival the Federal Tax Code in addition to War and Peace in length. But I can fully imagine that when these states start stockpiling food and bottled water in public venues and the expiration dates pass, those same people who say they needed to prepare better will be complaining about wasted tax dollars.

Were they in La?

Most likely not if they were 3 hours away?

427726[/snapback]

probably Miss.

The guy that was interviewed was in uniform. Looked like police or a state trooper. They showed the trucks they had, the MRE's... they were 3 hrs out on Tues and were told to go home.

probably Miss.

The guy that was interviewed was in uniform.  Looked like police or a state trooper.  They showed the trucks they had, the MRE's...  they were 3 hrs out on Tues and were told to go home.

427730[/snapback]

Told by whom?

I'd want that person's head on a stick.

And, since when does "having a plan" equate to greatness and sure success, CTM?

427656[/snapback]

It doesn't. So what. So therefore, a plan is unnecessary because it's not a guarantee of success? :rolleyes: It in no way follows from that, that having a plan is therefore unnecessary. In this case, even a bad plan would have been better than the one they had, which seemed to consist of a series of pages labelled "This page intentionally left blank."

probably Miss.

The guy that was interviewed was in uniform.  Looked like police or a state trooper.  They showed the trucks they had, the MRE's...  they were 3 hrs out on Tues and were told to go home.

427730[/snapback]

I explained in the pinned thread how under the Federal Response Plan different agencies coordinated with FEMA.

Seems like FEMA wasn't sorting the mess out between state lines and various agencies within its own plan?

Told by whom?

I'd want that person's head on a stick.

427735[/snapback]

Told by his boss in VA. Who told him, I have no idea. So far it sounds like one of those "We need this...no, we don't...yes, we do...no, we don't" communications on-site cluster!@#$s, rather than something rooted in VA itself...but maybe not.

The trucks should have kept going anyway, I think. "We'll sort it out when you get there" should have been the order of the day. But even so, if they left on Tuesday, they probably wouldn't have started distributing them until about...well, now.