New Orleans Mayor Interview

PTS

Some of you are ganging up on Nadin and it's not right. There is no telecommunications infrastructe. It took the government 3 days to start filling in the breach at the 17th street canal (by the way, a city isn't going to have the resources (financial) to fix the breaks in the levees) . There is one way in and out of the city. There is mass chaos.

I am a Liberterian pretty much against big government but this is a time when the federal government has to take over the responsibility of this. Nadin is trapped in a disaster. They (federal gov't) has the resources to deal with the disaster better than internally within the city.

Finally, I think there are some important things that all cities should do in the future based on what has happened in New Orleans.

1. There should be some satellite phones at every police station. A lot of the chaos is due to the lack of communication. Pay the $700 for phones and the $50 a month service. At least you can have some command in place.

2. In the South on the coast, there should be forced evacuations when the probability of a threat of disaster is at a certain percentage.

3. Further illustrating 2, there should be a plan in places for bus service to taxi people out of poor areas. For those who have been to New Orleans, if you drove through Medairre (I-10 W), it's like Broadway Ave. in Buffalo (I lived on Kosciuszko St.) now. If 2 can't work, this would have reduced the likelihood of all the deaths that o

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the people who posted below you have much experience in disaster response.

No, it seems to me that anyone who voted one way in the last election is basically saying one thing, while those that voted the other way are saying another.

And that's not interesting.  That's appalling.

427267[/snapback]

But it is what it is.

It's like people just couldn't WAIT to make a tie-in to the Iraq war. Sad and ridiculous in my opinion.

Some of you are ganging up on Nadin and it's not right. There is no telecommunications infrastructe. It took the government 3 days to start filling in the breach at the 17th street canal (by the way, a city isn't going to have the resources (financial) to fix the breaks in the levees) . There is one way in and out of the city. There is mass chaos.

I am a Liberterian pretty much against big government but this is a time when the federal government has to take over the responsibility of this. Nadin is trapped in a disaster. They (federal gov't) has the resources to deal with the disaster better than internally within the city.

Finally, I think there are some important things that all cities should do in the future based on what has happened in New Orleans.

1. There should be some satellite phones at every police station. A lot of the chaos is due to the lack of communication. Pay the $700 for phones and the $50 a month service. At least you can have some command in place.

2. In the South on the coast, there should be forced evacuations when the probability of a threat of disaster is at a certain percentage.

3. Further illustrating 2, there should be a plan in places for bus service to taxi people out of poor areas. For those who have been to New Orleans, if you drove through Medairre (I-10 W), it's like Broadway Ave. in Buffalo (I lived on Kosciuszko St.) now. If 2 can't work, this would have reduced the likelihood of all the deaths that o

427269[/snapback]

Just wanted to clarify...I'm not criticizing Nadin for what he did after the levees broke. I'm criticizing him for what he apparently didn't do before it happened. And for trying to spread the blame for his own failings as a mayor to everyone BUT himself.

Just wanted to clarify...I'm not criticizing Nadin for what he did after the levees broke.  I'm criticizing him for what he apparently didn't do before it happened.  And for trying to spread the blame for his own failings as a mayor to everyone BUT himself.

427277[/snapback]

Do you pound nails regularly?

Because you sure hit the nail on the head with that one.

Just wanted to clarify...I'm not criticizing Nadin for what he did after the levees broke.  I'm criticizing him for what he apparently didn't do before it happened.  And for trying to spread the blame for his own failings as a mayor to everyone BUT himself.

427277[/snapback]

\

\The city doesn't have the financial resources to deal with that. Why do you think all the Liberals are gainging up on Bush.

But it is what it is.

It's like people just couldn't WAIT to make a tie-in to the Iraq war. Sad and ridiculous in my opinion.

427272[/snapback]

Be that as it may, the same kind of knee-jerk response is happening on the other side.

\

\The city doesn't have the financial resources to deal with that. Why do you think all the Liberals are gainging up on Bush.

427282[/snapback]

The city doesn't have the financial resources to plan? To move the busses somewhere where they won't be flooded to their roofs, so the ten thousand people they've stashed in the Superdome without food or water or electricity can get out?

Go to your municipal government and ask to see their emergency preparedness plan. I'd think (hope) it's open to the public. I'll bet it's miles beyond anything those idiots in New Orleans ever managed.

Hmmm -  Whos fault is this?  George Bush???  A picture is worth a thousand words ...

Nice going Mayor...Blame everyone but YOURSELF! 

427314[/snapback]

I've spent the past hour perusing the results of googling "New Orleans emergency plan". Found lots of interesting stuff that basically said "What plan?" And one article from last year about how New Orleans never coordinated with FEMA, despite FEMA's unprecedented ("first time ever", was the literal phrase in the article) attempts at aiding them in municipal disaster preparedness.

The one thing I couldn't find was an emergency plan for New Orleans. Found plenty of others for other cities.

I've spent the past hour perusing the results of googling "New Orleans emergency plan".  Found lots of interesting stuff that basically said "What plan?"  And one article from last year about how New Orleans never coordinated with FEMA, despite FEMA's unprecedented ("first time ever", was the literal phrase in the article) attempts at aiding them in municipal disaster preparedness. 

The one thing I couldn't find was an emergency plan for New Orleans.  Found plenty of others for other cities.

427341[/snapback]

You mean you've actualy done some research on this before spouting off regurgitated media bull/shiit? How original, Thanks :P

I've spent the past hour perusing the results of googling "New Orleans emergency plan".  Found lots of interesting stuff that basically said "What plan?"  And one article from last year about how New Orleans never coordinated with FEMA, despite FEMA's unprecedented ("first time ever", was the literal phrase in the article) attempts at aiding them in municipal disaster preparedness. 

The one thing I couldn't find was an emergency plan for New Orleans.  Found plenty of others for other cities.

427341[/snapback]

did you try:

neworleansemergencyplan.gov

????

I just saw an interview on TV where a tractor trailer driver said he was loaded full with cases of water in Houston to take to New Orleans on Monday afternoon, but he said his boss made him wait.

I'm not sure why that is, but I'm reasonably confident that it has next to nothing to do with NO's response plan (or lack thereof).