Looting

I agree with Sloth. No matter what people are stealing it's not like it won't serve a purpose. Most of these folks haven't showered in days. So what if the steal some clothes. I can't think of one thing I wouldn't steal right now. Including a gun if I had my family with me. Of course, I wouldn't still be there but you got to look at it as if these people go to Houston what are they suppose to do? They know they are pretty much screwed going there. How long are you suppose to live in the dome?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Sloth. No matter what people are stealing it's not like it won't serve a purpose. Most of these folks haven't showered in days. So what if the steal some clothes. I can't think of one thing I wouldn't steal right now. Including a gun if I had my family with me. Of course, I wouldn't still be there but you got to look at it as if these people go to Houston what are they suppose to do? They know they are pretty much screwed going there. How long are you suppose to live in the dome?

425799[/snapback]

Post your address and meet some new friends. :blink:

What do you want to bet that most of the "looting" is for water, food, diapers and necessities! I would be looting too since aid has not reached these folks! Survival instincts take over. (footnote: I am sure there are some people taking advantage of the situation - but the vast majority are acting out of desperation to survive.) 

The lead story should not be "looting," rather it should be where the hell is the FEMA plan? Where are the National Guard troops? How do we usher the aid into people in an orderly fashion.

425675[/snapback]

I suppose these animals think necessities include the newest air jordans from foot locker and all the bling bling from the jewelry stores.They are just uncivilized thugs.Shoot Em!

I suppose these animals think necessities include the newest air jordans from foot locker any all the bling bling from the jewery stores.There just uncivilized thugs.Shoot Em!

426098[/snapback]

Why waste the ammo? Looting in and of itself is a small problem at this point. It's merely symptomatic of a much bigger problem: the breakdown of order that's disrupted the emergency response and evacuation and risked tens of thousands of lives.

First priority isn't saving Foot Locker. First priority is saving lives. If the idiot stealing Air Jordans isn't endangering the rescue effort, who gives a damn?

But if he is...then shoot him.

Why waste the ammo?  Looting in and of itself is a small problem at this point.  It's merely symptomatic of a much bigger problem: the breakdown of order that's disrupted the emergency response and evacuation and risked tens of thousands of lives. 

First priority isn't saving Foot Locker.  First priority is saving lives.  If the idiot stealing Air Jordans isn't endangering the rescue effort, who gives a damn?

But if he is...then shoot him.

426105[/snapback]

Has martial law been declared down there yet? If not, why?

I have only heard of really bad lootings and shooting in New Orleans.

Not so much the other areas.

Wonder why that is?

426125[/snapback]

Probably because troops and law enforcement can get IN to the other areas much easier. And even so, I've heard of incidents. At least one hospital in NO called for help and was told "We can't get to you, you're surrounded by 10 feet of water."

I have only heard of really bad lootings and shooting in New Orleans.

Not so much the other areas.

Wonder why that is?

426125[/snapback]

I don't know. Suppose the Niagara Frontier had a 30' lake effect blizzard with no foreseeable electricity, gas, water, sewer or summer. Whoever was left would have to be prepared to go "Lord of the Flies/Mad Max" or die.

Isn't this whole thing just sad?

We're talking about America and this entire story sounds like something that happens elsewhere.

Most Americans believe we are better than everyone else.  Are we sure?

426162[/snapback]

We live better than everyone else. Take that away, people aren't much different no matter where you go.

I don't know. Suppose the Niagara Frontier had a 30' lake effect blizzard with no foreseeable electricity, gas, water, sewer or summer.  Whoever was left would have to be prepared to go "Lord of the Flies/Mad Max" or die.

426156[/snapback]

I 'm not sure.

I am sure there would be some of that kind of stuff.....but it just seems the people there just went right into that mode. The next day. After three weeks of that stuff, sure, you'd go crazy.

But the next day?

And I just heard a reporter that came back from there talking about murders, rapes, and roaving gangs with weapons. Seems a little more mean spirited than people just fighting to live.

Shooting at at helicopter that is bringing you food?

No, I am sorry, there is something more at work here.

Is there large gang element there or something?

I've been thru hurricane fran in Raleigh, and i know it is nothing compared to this, but we didn't have power for nine days. The city seemed to pull together, not pull apart.

Same with NYC after 9/11.

Again, this sh-- started the next day, we are not talking about in being 20 days of this junk

Most Americans believe we are better than everyone else.  Are we sure?

426162[/snapback]

No, it don't think that is this case.

We just have a really good system (not perfect, but the best there is) and we work real hard at keeping that way.

Just look at all the religions and races that live here. And in peace for the most part.

In the middle east, if you are the wrong type of muslim you are blown up, if are not a muslim you are blown up.

In Africa, if you come from the wrong tribe, you're whole family can be raped or killed.

Just think of the Women's rights movement and the Civil right movement of the 60's.

If those happened in other parts of the world, they would have lead to bloody civil wars.

Sometimes I think we sell ourselves too short, instead of thinking we are all that.

I agree with Bush:

"I think there ought to be zero tolerance of people breaking the law during an emergency such as this - whether it be looting, or price gouging at the gasoline pump, or taking advantage of charitable giving or insurance fraud," Bush said. "And I've made that clear to our attorney general. The citizens ought to be working together."

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20050902/D8CBQ1C81.html

But will they arrest the looters, the gougers and scammers? Only if they or their companies do not contribute campaign contributions.

There are three kinds of looters:

despiration

degenerate

disinfranchised

The despirate are looting for water and diapers.

The degenerate are those that make a living stealing cars and breaking into homes.

The disinfranchised believe that the government owes them something and looting is their payback.

The last two are unacceptable in a sitaution like that unfolding in NOLA.

I 'm not sure.

I am sure there would be some of that kind of stuff.....but it just seems the people there just went right into that mode. The next day. After three weeks of that stuff, sure, you'd go crazy.

But the next day?

And I just heard a reporter that came back from there talking about murders, rapes, and roaving gangs with weapons. Seems a little more mean spirited than people just fighting to live.

Shooting at at helicopter that is bringing you food?

No, I am sorry, there is something more at work here.

Is there large gang element there or something?

I've been thru hurricane fran in Raleigh, and i know it is nothing compared to this, but we didn't have power for nine days. The city seemed to pull together, not pull apart.

Same with NYC after 9/11.

Again, this sh-- started the next day, we are not talking about in being 20 days of this junk

426212[/snapback]

Drug addicts realizing their next fix ain't coming.

I agree with Bush:

"I think there ought to be zero tolerance of people breaking the law during an emergency such as this - whether it be looting, or price gouging at the gasoline pump, or taking advantage of charitable giving or insurance fraud," Bush said. "And I've made that clear to our attorney general. The citizens ought to be working together."

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20050902/D8CBQ1C81.html

But will they arrest the looters, the gougers and scammers?  Only if they or their companies do not contribute campaign contributions.

426233[/snapback]

My understanding from watching the 24/7 cable news folks (not necessarily a source of truth based on their past retractions and incorrect basic facts) is that apparently a law is on the books in NO or La that actually says that it is legal to loot in certain circumstances.

Specifically. if it is a question of life and death (the lack of water and food seems to qualify) it is actually legal to loot for goods like food and water.

I'm not sure whether this also extends to the fellow who showed his surgical scar and the Depends he had stolen from a Rite Aid for his incontinence, however it seems to be the case that if one is going to shoot to kill then one needs to distinguish between the idiots who stayed and are looting for Air Jordans and the idiots who stayed are looting for water and food.

One might make the case that due to the evacuation order all bets are off, but the idiots who stayed clearly includes a significant number of folks whose airline flights were canceled and who could not get a rental car.

One might also make the case that it is martial law and all bets are off. However, I heard a LA National Guard officer emphasize that they were coming in purely to support local law enforcement and that MARTIAL LAW HAS NOT BEEN DECLARED.

This does not describe me because declaring Martial Law is serious business in a democracy and the military does not like it at all (in fact the one's who join for ideological reasons as most seem to join for the educational opportunities and work join to protect the freedoms of Americans to not have to lick the boots of any king or government).

Finally, one wonders whether those who cavalierly declare that we should have hunter/sniper teams out there to kill idiots stealing Air Jordans really understand that most people including those in the military do not take ending someone's life lightly.

The studies seem to indicate that it takes a lot to get a person to kill another person even when that person is trying to kill you.

Many who post on TSW may be just the type to kill someone stealing a toaster, but most people aren' like that (even peace officers). I would be reluctant to go in the direction of sniper killing of looters not out of concern for the looters, but actually out of concern for what many ordered to serve in that role would have to deal with later.