Big soccer match USA vs Mexico

Hardy Pyle

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooh, thanks for the heads-up. I'll be watching.

There's something about international soccer, when the game means something. Pro soccer can't come close. It's kind of like regular season hockey vs. playoff hockey. Hard to put your finger on, but it's just about 1,000 times more entertaining to watch.

The match sold out in mintues. Luckly I am a member of the US Soccer Federation and got my two tickets to the game.

The girlfriend and I are driving down to C-Bus Saturday morning and we can't freakin wait! The tailgates with Sam's Army - dare I say - are better than any football tailgates I've been to. That being said, the guy that started Sam's Army is from and lives in Buffalo.

The atmosphere inside the US National games is amazing, you'll never experience anything better. There's just something about going to the game, rooting for your country and doing it actively with songs and chants. The closes I can explain it to is college football in a place like Nebraska or Texas.

That being said, soccer haters continue to hate, but more and more people are being sucked into the "dark side".

Anyone from TBD going down? I know there is a bunch of people driving down from Buffalo.

USMNT Advertising Campaign coming soon...

http://www.nike.com/nikesoccer/justdoit/spot/video.html

Soccer is grewing faster than any other sport in the US.

424528[/snapback]

How hard is it to beat out watching reality tv shows? :doh:

I like soccer well enough, but given it's game timing doesn't allow for commercial tv breaks, it will keep it's fringe status here.

I like soccer well enough, but given it's game timing doesn't allow for commercial tv breaks, it will keep it's fringe status here.

424534[/snapback]

That will change soon enough as media and marketing firms learn how to actively advertise in soccer. All they need to do is watch an English Premier League game on TV. Many American companies that spend billions to advertise in the English leagues get better ROI than they do with the NFL here.

I had the page save in my favorites but the article from 2004 is out of date that explained it. In the article it talked about how Budweiser had better returns from English soccer advertising than all the advertising it did with all US sports combined.

The interesting thing about soccer is the subtelty and artistry that is difficult to understand for newcomers or those who never played the game at a higher level.

Soccer need not apologize for anything.

The USA has only 5% of the world's population, the "world game" will survive quite well.

Long live the beautiful game!

International Soccer is amazing to watch, I can't wait for the world cup this summer but serie A started already and its too amazing...

it always amazed me how americans don't enjoy soccer as much, i mean how can someone call a soccer player a kitty like so many americans seem to have the stereotype for but call a baseball player a tremendous athlete???

International Soccer is amazing to watch, I can't wait for the world cup this summer but serie A started already and its too amazing...

it always amazed me how americans don't enjoy soccer as much, i mean how can someone call a soccer player a kitty like so many americans seem to have the stereotype for but call a baseball player a tremendous athlete???

424573[/snapback]

(from USA Today Sports)

In his book The Physics of Baseball, retired Yale University physics professor Robert Adair writes that the moment of contact when a bat strikes a ball lasts just 1/1,000th of a second.

But the skills required to execute that at the highest levels require years and years of training. You'll get a multimillion-dollar contract if you can pull it off successfully anywhere near three out of 10 times.

"Players like Ted Williams and Barry Bonds are absolutely extraordinary athletes and can do things that other people can't," says Adair, who published his book at the suggestion of his late friend, former baseball commissioner Bart Giamatti.

"What's remarkable about them is not their muscles or anything like that. It's in their brain. Their brain really works better than yours and mine at this."

Consider that a fastball thrown at 95-100 mph reaches home plate in about 0.4 seconds. Adair notes in his book that it takes 0.15 seconds for humans to voluntarily blink their eyes in response to visual signals. When a big-league fastball is on the way, you must do far more than just blink. You must swing the bat to precisely the right spot at precisely the right time.

"If a person from another planet was told what's involved ... they would say it's impossible," says Porter Johnson, a physics professor at Illinois Institute of Technology in Chicago.

It becomes even more challenging when pitchers throw curveballs and other breaking pitches. They also can throw the batter's timing off by mixing their fastest pitches with the slower changeups.

But skilled batters can be tipped off by the motions of pitchers. They can make split-second assessments of how the seams on the ball are spinning (indicating various pitches) and gauge its path toward the plate.

"It takes good eyesight, years of practice, good concentration," Johnson says. But in the final analysis, he says even good hitters are simply making well-educated guesses. "You've already committed yourself to swing at a particular point and a particular time. It's just a question of whether the ball happens to be there."

Adair says that when a fastballer such as Randy Johnson throws a pitch in the high 90s, the hitter has only about two-tenths of a second from the time the ball leaves his hand to process "the last information that does you any conceivable good whatsoever" — and then swing.

"After two-tenths of a second, they can turn out the lights in the stadium," Adair says, "and it won't affect your hitting him at all."

424573[/snapback]

Soccer won't catch on with older generations in America, but it's already infiltrating youths of all ages, genders and races. The statistics are staggering. The numbers were big 20 years ago but the numbers now are just jaw dropping.

ESPN did a piece on soccer in projects and how people in projects are playing soccer on basketball courts. Eddie Johnson, one of the most coveted players in the world now, was introduced to soccer that way. Baseball fields are being replaced with soccer complexes. In West Seneca alone, there are three major soccer complexes within five miles of my house.

A successful run in next year's World Cup -- which I already have US tickets for -- might breach the barriers of media in America.

The money is there. Many sponsors are funneling money to the US Soccer Federation because they see what is at the end of the tunnel.

While football will always remain #1 in America, soccer will continue to make huge strides at catching up to the other major sports.

One of the reasons that the game sold out in minutes is that there is a HUGE Mexican population here in Columbus. I would go, but going to Ohio State games takes a lot out of a person and I couldn't handle two games in a day. Plus, there is always the threat of urine bombs, so I'll stay away.

The girlfriend and I are driving down to C-Bus Saturday morning and we can't freakin wait!

Be prepared for a lot of traffic, and by a lot...I mean a lot.