This may be the worst thing I've ever heard

I shudder to say this, but we've effectively lost a major American city.  That hasn't happened since the San Francisco Fire in 1906, nearly one hundred years ago.  Some insurance companies will go bankrupt because of Katrina...up to $29 billion in insurable losses is what I've heard.

424000[/snapback]

And don't forget...insurable losses. How much of the worst parts of New Orleans, for example, do you think have flood coverage?

I heard someone say total damages could run into the dozens of billions of dollars. Sure, it was on the alarmist FoxSnooze...but it doesn't sound all that outlandish, really.

I knew a "Bush Bash" was in the works from you.

424055[/snapback]

???

It wasn't a Bush bash at all. Instrumental leader seem to calm fear, IE: Winston Churchill.

My Bush rant was posted last night about taking aim at the USACE. It is also below:

What is more important?... New Orleans District or Iraq District. Right now of the management staff in operations divison for the Rock Island District (also Mississippi Valley Divison) is on TDY in Iraq?

Where do you think we need them most? Reflooding the "marsh Arabs" that SH drained in southern Iraq or stopping our OWN citizens from becoming "marsh people."

:P:lol:

You want to wade through hip-deep water barefoot after a hurricane strike?  Quick way to die of tetanus...or even a staph or strep infection.  Shoes are a survival necessity.  Albiet maybe not $200 Air Jordans.

Cars...not so much.

424093[/snapback]

Oh Christ Tom look at the people stealing the sh--...you think their primary concern is their health?

So people who lost their cars can go and steal one and all is okay?

I lost my Hyundi so I stole a Honda.

424086[/snapback]

You're living in upstate NY and you are angry at many people that are looting that have a good chance of dying. Why be angry? That people are doing some unsavory things is sad, but why so angry? The entire city is destroyed.

You're living in upstate NY and you are angry at many people that are looting that have a good chance of dying. Why be angry? That people are doing some unsavory things is sad, but why so angry? The entire city is destroyed.

424104[/snapback]

Because criminals are taking advantage of a tragedy. No anger just disgust.

So people who lost their cars can go and steal one and all is okay?

I lost my Hyundi so I stole a Honda.

424086[/snapback]

That is kinda funny. Reminds me of the time last Christmas when we went to Navy Pier... We took the kids to the "Winter Wonderland"... An annual thing in the Grand Ballroom where there is all kids of "dino-jump" and blow-up slide devices.

Well to make a long story short, the kids take their shoes off before going into the jump... My son's shoes where taken!

You know what the Chicago policeman said? "Just go take someone else's."

:P:lol::D

Oh Christ Tom look at the people stealing the sh--...you think their primary concern is their health?

424100[/snapback]

For quite a few I've seen...yes. Saw footage this morning of people running in an out of a supermarket carrying food. I don't think they were looking for a quick score.

But on the other hand, I've seen the footage of the morons carrying waterlogged TVs and stereos. I'm not pretending all the looting is survival oriented...but quite a bit of it is.

As for that that isn't...let the morons sit in their shattered houses with no electricity or running water or food for weeks or months with their wrecked stolen TVs. What difference does it make? By the time this is over, they'll either have been forcibly evacuated and lost all their loot anyway, or they'll be dead and the rebuilders will find their bloated and decaying corpses curled around their precious stolen wide-screen TVs.

424100[/snapback]

:D:P

Another stereotype... What else do they have to live for except the simple pleasure of eating.

Our standard of poor and strarving doesn't hold in today's world. It is a bygone indicator.

Please don't show your true colors.

:P:lol:

For quite a few I've seen...yes.  Saw footage this morning of people running in an out of a supermarket carrying food.  I don't think they were looking for a quick score.

But on the other hand, I've seen the footage of the morons carrying waterlogged TVs and stereos.  I'm not pretending all the looting is survival oriented...but quite a bit of it is. 

As for that that isn't...let the morons sit in their shattered houses with no electricity or running water or food for weeks or months with their wrecked stolen TVs.  What difference does it make?  By the time this is over, they'll either have been forcibly evacuated and lost all their loot anyway, or they'll be dead and the rebuilders will find their bloated and decaying corpses curled around their precious stolen wide-screen TVs.

424120[/snapback]

I totally agree Tom.

For quite a few I've seen...yes.  Saw footage this morning of people running in an out of a supermarket carrying food.  I don't think they were looking for a quick score.

But on the other hand, I've seen the footage of the morons carrying waterlogged TVs and stereos.  I'm not pretending all the looting is survival oriented...but quite a bit of it is. 

As for that that isn't...let the morons sit in their shattered houses with no electricity or running water or food for weeks or months with their wrecked stolen TVs.  What difference does it make?  By the time this is over, they'll either have been forcibly evacuated and lost all their loot anyway, or they'll be dead and the rebuilders will find their bloated and decaying corpses curled around their precious stolen wide-screen TVs.

424120[/snapback]

Survival........I have no problem with that. Theft and looting as recreation I do.

How to deal with looters? Shoot to kill.

423920[/snapback]

All looting is bad, but I don't have as much of a problem with people walking off with food as I do with someone taking money, TV's or jewelry. Perishables like bread vegs and meats are just going to spoil anyway.

Jeff

All the food blankets and clothing that is left in those stores is going to be useless as a sale item. Most lost everything it is just sinfull that looters are out to make a buck. I think they should give the food away no harm no foul.

:D  :P

Another stereotype...  What else do they have to live for except the simple pleasure of eating.

Our standard of poor and strarving doesn't hold in today's world.  It is a bygone indicator.

Please don't show your true colors.

:P  :lol:

424124[/snapback]

The ones looting TVs, jewelery, shoes,etc are the dregs. The people with any intelligence are heading for higher ground. Saw a lot of people on TV saying they were mad at themselves for staying and not getting their asses out of NO when the mayor said to.

Perhaps that's why the police are not stopping anyone that is walking out with basic necessities.

424162[/snapback]

That...and there's too much else to do. The stuff they're looting...it's just stuff, in a completely non-functional and uninhabitable former city where people are dying. Why on earth would anyone recommend prioritizing arresting or shooting looters over helping people survive?

Now, before I get flamed off the board, In no way am I comparing what happened to those of us that lived in Florida last year - but - The inconvenience of being without electricity and gas last year (for about a week and a half each time (3)) was very difficult. In that respect we can understand - to a VERY small degree – more than others how completely helpless a feeling this must be. Now add in loved ones, property and your life as you know it gone...........

Jeff