LAMP Anyone here live in Chicago

Realist

I was just offered a promotion at work, but I'd have to relocate to Chicago. They'll pay relocating expenses and all that jazz. Just wondering if anyone out there lives/lived in Chicago and let me know what you think of the city. The office is actually located in Schaumburg. I'd hate to leave the warm climate but if the money is right.

I was just offered a promotion at work, but I'd have to relocate to Chicago.  They'll pay relocating expenses and all that jazz.  Just wondering if anyone out there lives/lived in Chicago and let me know what you think of the city.  The office is actually located in Schaumburg.  I'd hate to leave the warm climate but if the money is right.

423155[/snapback]

was that intentional? if so....bravo. :rolleyes:

You better like big city living which includes either use of mass transit or traffic jams every day. In addition the weather sucks compared to NC. Lots of big city attitude too. If you like things fast paced with a lot of things to do consider it. It all depends on your personality & how you adapt to the big city.

I was just offered a promotion at work, but I'd have to relocate to Chicago.  They'll pay relocating expenses and all that jazz.  Just wondering if anyone out there lives/lived in Chicago and let me know what you think of the city.  The office is actually located in Schaumburg.  I'd hate to leave the warm climate but if the money is right.

423155[/snapback]

I live in suburb close to Schaumburg. Let me know if you want to talk. Note 'close' is a relative term in Chicagoland where the diagonal is ~ 50 miles :rolleyes:

No seriously, these are the suburbs and not really the big bad city that people typically equate to downtown Chicago. I love this area despite the terrible weather for 4-5 months. The restaurants, activities, proximity to Wisconsin, opportunity to bash on hapless Bears fans itself is reward enough.

I can even get my friend and (excellent) real estate agent contact you if needed.

I have a buddy who lives out there. The only thing i can tell you is the cost of living is muuuuuch higher than it is in NC.

423161[/snapback]

True for the North and NW suburbs where he is thinking. I live in the far south, on the Indiana line... Very reasonable and the congestion is not a problem at all as it is in the North. Much more diverse down here culturally and economically.

My 175k 10 year old house here would easily go for double up North.

I work 18 miles away and it only takes me 20-30 minutes. Construction is the only problem. Another 15 miles and I am in the Loop. A 50 minute train ride from my house.

423155[/snapback]

I actually love it. Buffalo will always be home but in a lot of ways, it is a much larger (and more expensive) version of Buffalo. I have always thought Buffalo is a Midwest kind of town. The weather does blow, though.

Schaumburg is in the Western Suburbs about 25 miles from the city. I actually live about 15 minutes south of Schaumburg. If you are going to live near work and have a reasonable commute, a single family home with 3 bedrooms and two baths is probably going to run you $250K to $400K. It really all depends on the town and schools (like most real estate).

If you travel for work or for fun, Chicago is a hub for American and United. So, you can usually get a direct flight anywhere for a reasonable cost. Also, don't underestimate the central time zone. As I get older, I appreciate MNF ending at around 11:00.