The Official Katrina Aftermath Thread

PTS

Well, having spent a fair bit of time in the Deep South a long time ago, It's always been a curiosity to me when us northeners mock and make fun at their local dialect and expressions (of which I find charming), and then decree that they are cool to us. :P

424410[/snapback]

I do declare, you are quite right.........

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people didn't evacuate for 4 reasons:

1. They couldn't afford it.

2. They thought since they weathered Camille, Katrina would be no big deal.

3. ANIMALS! They couldn't bring animals to the shelters and didn't want to leave their loved pets behind.

4. They felt that they were far enough inland.

I have to mention the last one further. I went through Kiln, MS last month and there was an article stating that Brett Favre'e mother had to go to the attic because of the rising flood waters (this was 20 miles inland). So, in many cases it was like Sri Lanka even though the deaths aren't as high.

One other note, this is going to affect all of us. New Orleans is the 35th largest city in the country. The GDP lost is significant. If you work in your little factories that supply goods, the demand is going to drop on most products that you make which may result (not likely) but layoffs in the future. The other important thing is if that doesn't do you in, gas prices will. Even though Bush is releasing some of the reserves, New Orleans is one of the biggest oil producers in NA. Gas prices are going to kill those up there driving in their $7/hour jobs!

423965[/snapback]

5. They know that authorities won't let them back in for months and don't want to leave everything they have to mother nature and the looters.

(I would have personally high-tailed it the hell out)

What's the latest on the levee repair? Anyone hear anything?

424404[/snapback]

If it were up to me, I'd be looking into the wonder that is preformed concrete. The U put up the structure of a parking garage in about a week with it. Water, water everywhere kind of complicates the problem tho.

Don't know how much capacity those choppers can hold, and there's the problem of finding pilots who could possibly set them down adequately. They need to stop the major flow, then they can start to finetune.

Sandbags at this point will probably be swept away by the undercurrent, even at 1.5 tons per. I work construction; that's really not much. Like shoveling sh-- against the tide.

Well, having spent a fair bit of time in the Deep South a long time ago, It's always been a curiosity to me when us northeners mock and make fun at their local dialect and expressions (of which I find charming), and then decree that they are cool to us.

Dubbing others as "sh*t kickers", "yokels", "rednecks", etc. is seldom a way to win friendship... :D:lol:

424410[/snapback]

So true. So true. I also find it charming. When a pilot from the south calls it is always interesting gettting the tow and barge information correct!

:P

What's the latest on the levee repair? Anyone hear anything?

424404[/snapback]

To repair damage to one of the levees holding back Lake Pontchartrain, the Army Corps of Engineers said it planned to use heavy-duty Chinook helicopters to drop 3,000-pound sandbags Wednesday into the 500-foot gap in the failed floodwall. But the agency was having trouble getting the sandbags and dozens of 15-foot highway barriers to the site because the city's waterways were blocked by loose barges, boats and large debris.

Officials said they were also looking at a more audacious plan: finding a barge to plug the 500-foot hole.

It could take close to a month to get the water out of the city. If the water rises a few feet higher, it could also wipe out the water system for the whole city, said New Orleans' homeland security chief, Terry Ebbert.

"The challenge is an engineering nightmare," Paul Accardo, a police spokesman.

"We are looking at 12 to 16 weeks before people can come in," Mayor Ray Nagin said on ABC's "Good Morning America, "and the other issue that's concerning me is have dead bodies in the water. At some point in time the dead bodies are going to start to create a serious disease issue."

....I think it's safe to say that the Bills game versus New Orleans will not be happening in the Superdome on 10/2.

5. They know that authorities won't let them back in for months and don't want to leave everything they have to mother nature and the looters.

(I would have personally high-tailed it the hell out)

424419[/snapback]

When you value your silverware and end tables over your life, that's when you need to learn about priorities. The Buddhists actually have a good worldview about possessions. Don't be handcuffed to them, b/c they will fail you and you shouldn't spend your time being sad when they do. In a larger sense, even your own body will eventually fail on you. That's just the hand we as humans are dealt. We just have a different perspective on possessions that oftentime leads to acts of desperation.

As for the looters, I can fully understand people taking water and food, even clothes. They can use it immediately and the flood will just put it to waste anyway. But what really gets my crag is when people take TVs, etc. Where are they going to put it? How do they think that under 10' of water it's still operable? One police officer was shot yesterday and there were reports of heavy gunfire in other areas. That's just beyond comprehension.

When you value your silverware and end tables over your life, that's when you need to learn about priorities. The Buddhists actually have a good worldview about possessions. Don't be handcuffed to them, b/c they will fail you and you shouldn't spend your time being sad when they do. In a larger sense, even your own body will eventually fail on you. That's just the hand we as humans are dealt. We just have a different perspective on possessions that oftentime leads to acts of desperation.

As for the looters, I can fully understand people taking water and food, even clothes. They can use it immediately and the flood will just put it to waste anyway. But what really gets my crag is when people take TVs, etc. Where are they going to put it? How do they think that under 10' of water it's still operable? One police officer was shot yesterday and there were reports of heavy gunfire in other areas. That's just beyond comprehension.

424433[/snapback]

I agree with you. I would have left. I'd grab whatever I can that I might need, and the rest can rot for all I care. Not everyone thinks like that and I can fully understand why some people might risk it.

Food, water, clothes, diapers... sure take it. But you know damn well some of these folks are stocking up on diamond rings and DVD players.

If it were up to me, I'd be looking into the wonder that is preformed concrete. The U put up the structure of a parking garage in about a week with it. Water, water everywhere kind of complicates the problem tho.

Don't know how much capacity those choppers can hold, and there's the problem of finding pilots who could possibly set them down adequately. They need to stop the major flow, then they can start to finetune.

Sandbags at this point will probably be swept away by the undercurrent, even at 1.5 tons per. I work construction; that's really not much. Like shoveling sh-- against the tide.

424420[/snapback]

It takes time to get a cofferdam in place. I suspect that is what they will do in the long term? The water is still pouring through which is tremendous... The water needs to equalize out?

To explain the hydraulic pressure behind the force of the water:

I worked down in southern Illinois for a little time helping out... They use wicked dams at Peoria and LaGrange on the Illinois river... That means during high water the 4 foot wickets are lowered to the bottom of the river... A navigable pass over the submerged dam is created... When the high water receeds the wickets are raised one by one... The first are relatively easy... Trying to get the last one up is another story since all the water is being forced through the last opening... Now they hook them with a backhoe on a work flat... In the old days they would hook them by hand!

Just awful....watching the news I just can't imagine the families that don't have anywhere else to go and are staying around the city can be in safe conditions. They were talking about the toxicity levels. At some point, the government is going to have to step in and force people to leave or be quarantined because it's only going to becoming a feeding ground for disease over the next few days.

So true. So true.  I also find it charming.  When a pilot from the south calls it is always interesting gettting the tow and barge information correct!

:P

424426[/snapback]

You deal with the locks, river levels, dams, traffic flow, etc.? That's quite a skill - it's a real juggle between precision, prediction, experience and seat-of-the-pants hunch to make it work.

424433[/snapback]

I would contend that true followers of Jesus have that same view. :P:lol: Or maybe I should say that my priorities do not have possessions very highly honored, and I get that from my reading of the Gospel accounts.

For those familiar with New Orleans, I know the French Quarter is not under water(yet), but what about the area around the convention center which I believe is known as the warehouse district?

424443[/snapback]

They just showed canal street... The water is filling up and heading south... I suppose it will be a canal soon?

Probably not good.

Like BRH said below the material is just being lost in the void and hydraulis action...  It probably gets easier as the water equalizes?  That means NO will have to fill up.

424422[/snapback]

While doing your laundry, did you ever try plucking out the debris from jeans from the drain while water was still flowing down it? Damn near impossible. You can only do it when the drain is stopped up completely (and it'll take some doing) or after the water's all drained.

I'm sure the ACOE has other techniques in their bag of tricks, tho. You can't ask them to do more than they're already doing. Amazing things, they do.

I would contend that true followers of Jesus have that same view. :P  :lol:   Or maybe I should say that my priorities do not have possessions very highly honored, and I get that from my reading of the Gospel accounts.

424444[/snapback]

To abstract it out a little higher, anyone with much spiritual awareness at all, regardless of denomination, probably ranks possessions just above "termites." It's hard to rationalize when put under the strains that these folks have been, though.

New Orleans mayor says Katrina killed hundreds -- maybe thousands -- of people in city, Associated Press reports. More soon.

This is so much worse than we realize, I believe.

424434[/snapback]

Link

My God...this gets worse almost by the minute.

Mike