The Official Katrina Aftermath Thread

PTS

I don't.  Hate seafood.  Have since I caught my first three-headed fish in Lake Erie...

423512[/snapback]

Better then the seven legged frog they caught in lake anna down here a couple years back. But the Nuke plant had nothing to do with thatl. :doh:

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Gump do shrimp in the gulf?

423510[/snapback]

Bubba Gump?

That part of the movie was filmed in South Carolina, but according to the story, yes. A discerning viewer would have caught that they were Atlantic brown shrimp, not pink gulf shrimp...but movies are movies.

Bubba Gump?

That part of the movie was filmed in South Carolina, but according to the story, yes. A discerning viewer would have caught that they were Atlantic brown shrimp, not pink gulf shrimp...but movies are movies.

423517[/snapback]

Never saw the whole movie. I know another, less then popular choice but I thought it was lame.

What makes you think you should eat it now? Gulf shrimp suck.

423508[/snapback]

Are you kidding me? We have some of the best shrimp up here on the good side of the gulf coast (the now very dark gulf coast) Still cant beat a maine lobster tho. I love seafood.

Well, apparently the newest plan i heard was that they were going to drop a 3,000lb sandbag down to try and plug up the breached levee...

That would have been an interesting meeting to be in..."hmmmm, maybe if we make 1 GIANT sandbag..."

423333[/snapback]

Not that i'm splitting hairs here but a 3,000 pound sand bag really isn't all that big.

Are you kidding me? We have some of the best shrimp up here on the good side of the gulf coast (the now very dark gulf coast) Still cant beat a maine lobster tho. I love seafood.

423521[/snapback]

You're a young 'un. I'll forgive you. Or maybe it's a preference. Gulf is good for white shrimp. White shrimp (pink shrimp) don't have much taste or texture compared to open water shrimp (most of the time, brown shrimp). Brown are a lot more firm, and do much better steamed than the white. You can have some nice 12-15 count white, and not hardly be able to peel them because the shells are like tissue and the meat gets mushy easy.

Here is a disturbing thought. I know someone that is retired from New York State and he says that during emergencies they were trained to never release a high death toll or estimation early as it does not make people evacuate but return to look for friends and family. He speculates that the death toll is probably ten times greater than early estimates. I hope he is wrong, but I suspect he knows something about this.

you have a point...you really have to wonder about the logic of building a city below sea level. When you need to build levees to stop your city from flooding, and actively pump water out, maybe its time to rethink where to live.

In cub scouts they teach you to camp on higher ground so you dont get flooded during a rainstorm.

What part of some one thinks "Hmmm, sea level is this high, and we live below it. That means that water is going to flood FROM the sea into my home/city. Sounds like a good place to live."

422603[/snapback]

You guys are messed up...I suppose if an earthquake sends part of California into the Pacific - you'll get on your soap boxes and say - well, what did you expect for living on a fault line. It's during times like this that peoples true colors come through - nice to see what jackasses some of you really are...

Here is a disturbing thought. I know someone that is retired from New York State and he says that during emergencies they were trained to never release a high death toll or estimation early as it does not make people evacuate but return to look for friends and family. He speculates that the death toll is probably ten times greater than early estimates. I hope he is wrong, but I suspect he knows something about this.

423570[/snapback]

It's big. I think I said that earlier, that the fact they're admitting they're seeing bodies but not even speculating a number is pretty damned awful.

you have a point...you really have to wonder about the logic of building a city below sea level. When you need to build levees to stop your city from flooding, and actively pump water out, maybe its time to rethink where to live.

In cub scouts they teach you to camp on higher ground so you dont get flooded during a rainstorm.

What part of some one thinks "Hmmm, sea level is this high, and we live below it. That means that water is going to flood FROM the sea into my home/city. Sounds like a good place to live."

422603[/snapback]

Living there on a normal day is one thing. But when that thirty-year weather event is on your doorstep, and you say "I'm going to ride it out" even though you look UP at a river...well, that's just bad risk assessment.

:doh:  I love idiots like that.  What, they think an electrical appliance that's been submerged in water for more than a day is going to work?

422838[/snapback]

Actually, you never know. I was in a pinch for a fax machine when the one at work went down, and went into storage and grabbed the old thermal. I had to pour water out of it, and it buzzed until it dried out good, but it is still working.

More important news, Fox just reported "Breaking News" Brett Favre's childhood home has been destroyed.

It isn't like they are sticking submersible pumps anywhere they can... They are proabbly pumping it to specific locations that can be localized. The pumps are in action during normal events... Those normal operations have to hold certain amounts of contaminents.

I don't know the NO area... But, there has to be tremendous dreging operations on a continual basis... And certain spoil areas?

Anyway, it will not be pretty.

Bib, you hit the nail on the head with dealing with soil contaminents... Those soil contaminents are contained with the spoil area.

???