Pats the class of the AFC East

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-a...ov=ap&type=lgns

Barry Willner, another giant among football writers, proclaims the Pats to be the "class" of the division. Funny how the Pats can lose both coordinators and several key players and not have it matter, yet according to Willner, the Bills D will suffer without Pat Williams. :D

How do I get a job like that? Is there good money in writing crap. or is this just interns writing this stuff?

PTR

Barry Willner, another giant among football writers, proclaims the Pats to be the "class" of the division.  Funny how the Pats can lose both coordinators and several key players and not have it matter, yet according to Willner, the Bills D will suffer without Pat Williams.  ;)

How do I get a job like that?  Is there good money in writing crap. or is this just interns writing this stuff?

PTR

422068[/snapback]

I guess that 14-2 regular season record and SB win got him giddy... :D

Funny how the Pats can lose...several key players...

Bruschi and...who?

Law missed the majority of last year, so he can't be key. Roman Phifer is old as hell and lost his job to one-dimensional Ted Johnson last year, so he can't be key. Ted Johnson is a one-dimensional guy who can stuff the run but do little else, so he can't be key.

The Pats' losses have been greatly exaggerated. Even the coordinators. Crennel was very good, but it was always Belichick's defense, and now he has one of his best friends running the D. As for Weis, I've been awaiting his departure for years. Horridly overrated. Great game-planner, but crappy play-caller. I could only see him go empty backfield on 3rd and 2 so many times before I lost it.

Bruschi will be a big loss, in terms of both talent and leadership. But beyond him, everyone else is more than replaceable.

Bruschi and...who?

Law missed the majority of last year, so he can't be key.  Roman Phifer is old as hell and lost his job to one-dimensional Ted Johnson last year, so he can't be key.  Ted Johnson is a one-dimensional guy who can stuff the run but do little else, so he can't be key.

The Pats' losses have been greatly exaggerated.  Even the coordinators.  Crennel was very good, but it was always Belichick's defense, and now he has one of his best friends running the D.  As for Weis, I've been awaiting his departure for years.  Horridly overrated.  Great game-planner, but crappy play-caller.  I could only see him go empty backfield on 3rd and 2 so many times before I lost it.

Bruschi will be a big loss, in terms of both talent and leadership.  But beyond him, everyone else is more than replaceable.

422093[/snapback]

You know we here this same stuff year after year...They lost this player and that player they will sick....Until someone takes it from them they are the top dog! I am Bills fan

Well, you are a complete Patsy homer, and totally underestimate the value of your OC and DC played to the team.

However, I think the Pats are still the best team in the AFC E. My main problem with this particular article is underestimating the problems the Jets & pennington will have adapting to a new offensive system. Not a peep is metnioned about that. I think the Jests will suck this year.

Bruschi and...who?

Law missed the majority of last year, so he can't be key.  Roman Phifer is old as hell and lost his job to one-dimensional Ted Johnson last year, so he can't be key.  Ted Johnson is a one-dimensional guy who can stuff the run but do little else, so he can't be key.

The Pats' losses have been greatly exaggerated.  Even the coordinators.  Crennel was very good, but it was always Belichick's defense, and now he has one of his best friends running the D.  As for Weis, I've been awaiting his departure for years.  Horridly overrated.  Great game-planner, but crappy play-caller.  I could only see him go empty backfield on 3rd and 2 so many times before I lost it.

Bruschi will be a big loss, in terms of both talent and leadership.  But beyond him, everyone else is more than replaceable.

422093[/snapback]

Well, you are a complete Patsy homer, and totally underestimate the value of your OC and DC played to the team.

However, I think the Pats are still the best team in the AFC E. My main problem with this particular article is underestimating the problems the Jets & pennington will have adapting to a new offensive system. Not a peep is metnioned about that. I think the Jests will suck this year.

422119[/snapback]

I remember those Weis arguments over at patsfans.com. Many thought the first SB was won in spite of CW, not because of him. We'll see.

As for the Jets - the way I see it, they haven't adequately replaced Kareem McKenzie, and they burned a #1 pick trading for a TE who can't/won't block. Curtis Martin may find the rushing yardage a little harder to come by this year. And if teams can get a good rush on Pennington, his numbers go south in a hurry - Bills have won two of the last three Jets games by doing just that, and might well have swept last year's series if the offense had decided to show up before the fourth quarter of the game at the Meadowswamp.

you know the old saying " You're on top until someones knocks you off." I would be shocked if any so called expert (tv or writer) didnt pick the Pats to win the East. I think many of us enjoy the underdog role. If we have a geat season and dethrone NE- all of those "experts" will be eating their words.

Barry Willner, another giant among football writers, proclaims the Pats to be the "class" of the division.  Funny how the Pats can lose both coordinators and several key players and not have it matter, yet according to Willner, the Bills D will suffer without Pat Williams.  :D

How do I get a job like that?  Is there good money in writing crap. or is this just interns writing this stuff?

PTR

422068[/snapback]

Since when are they not the class of the division?

Are the Bills? No.

Are the Jets? No.

Are the Dolphins? Please.

Until they're beat and out of the playoffs, they're the class of the entire NFL.

Barry Willner, another giant among football writers, proclaims the Pats to be the "class" of the division.  Funny how the Pats can lose both coordinators and several key players and not have it matter, yet according to Willner, the Bills D will suffer without Pat Williams.  :D

PTR

422068[/snapback]

Every year the national press gives the Bills no respect and the fans on this board howl in anger, calling them "idiots" and the like. Yet, every year the Bills miss the playoffs and somebody else wins the division (usually the Pats). Eventually this will change, but until the Bills show otherwise (and the Pats show they're not the best in the NFL, much less the division) the smart move is to go with the Pats.

I'm a Bills fan and I think the Pats the division this year. JP is going to get owned by that Belichick D and we're not winning the division without at least a split with the Pats.

Every year the national press gives the Bills no respect and the fans on this board howl in anger, calling them "idiots" and the like.  Yet, every year the Bills miss the playoffs and somebody else wins the division (usually the Pats).  Eventually this will change, but until the Bills show otherwise (and the Pats show they're not the best in the NFL, much less the division) the smart move is to go with the Pats.

422225[/snapback]

The Bills had the respect of the national press back in the early nineties...

This is a silly thread. Of course the Pats should be preseason favorite in the AFC East. They're the best team in the division. Remember as the immortal Ric Flair says "To be the man you've got to BEAT the man." Unfortunately I don't think the Pats have lost anything of consequence in the offseason, with the exception of Bruschi.

This is a silly thread.  Of course the Pats should be preseason favorite in the AFC East.  They're the best team in the division.  Remember as the immortal Ric Flair says "To be the man you've got to BEAT the man."  Unfortunately I don't think the Pats have lost anything of consequence in the offseason, with the exception of Bruschi.

422320[/snapback]

The lost Bruschi...and Law...and Ted Johnson...and both coordinators. If that were the Bills, the national media would be predicting 4-12. That's the point I was making. The Pats are measured by a different yardstick. They could lose half their team, and everyone would still pick them to repeat.

PTR

The lost Bruschi...and Law...and Ted Johnson...and both coordinators.  If that were the Bills, the national media would be predicting 4-12.  That's the point I was making.  The Pats are measured by a different yardstick.  They could lose half their team, and everyone would still pick them to repeat. 

PTR

422328[/snapback]

Because sad to say they probably COULD lose half their team and repeat. They didn't have Ty Law wasn't even playing when they beat the Eagles last year. Bruschi will hurt, but he's not irreplacable. They likely won't even NOTICE that Ted Johnson isn't there anymore. And as far as the coordinators go I think the true genius and the genesis of all the Patriots success remains in Foxboro.

The lost Bruschi...

Yes, big loss. No denying it.

and Law...

Who missed the majority of last year's 17-2 Super Bowl season.

and Ted Johnson...

Who's an easily-replaceable, one-dimensional run-stuffer. It's an amazing phenomenon - the media trumps up the Pats as team with no stars, then when a player leaves, he becomes the key piece that they can't live without.

and both coordinators.

Been over it too many times.

I remember those Weis arguments over at patsfans.com. Many thought the first SB was won in spite of CW, not because of him. We'll see.

As for the Jets - the way I see it, they haven't adequately replaced Kareem McKenzie, and they burned a #1 pick trading for a TE who can't/won't block. Curtis Martin may find the rushing yardage a little harder to come by this year. And if teams can get a good rush on Pennington, his numbers go south in a hurry - Bills have won two of the last three Jets games by doing just that, and might well have swept last year's series if the offense had decided to show up before the fourth quarter of the game at the Meadowswamp.

422133[/snapback]

I watched part of the Jets/Giants first team game the other day. Pennington had two picks and a fumble in about 4 series. Looked to me like that shoulder could well still be an issue, but what do I know.

pats secondary is much deeper then it was last year,and the pats are deeper on offense then they were last year also. with a healthy watson/branch(who missed a big chunk of the season),and much deeper depth at receiver then they ever had. brusch is a loss,i think brown/beisel wil be a good combo this year,not better then bruschi but still very solid.

the defensive coach was replace by another really good PATS defensive coach(mangini) who can follow bb game plan. weis is gone but the same offensive plays are there. brady called a lot of plays last year and i see that still being the case

weis is gone but the same offensive plays are there. brady called a lot of plays last year and i see that still being the case

422886[/snapback]

If that's the case, won't it make it easier to defend the Pats? I mean if you are just recycling last year's game plan, what happens if you need to make an adjustment?

By the way...will you guys still be posting when the Bills beat your team? Or will you vanish like Yankee fans after the Red Sox World Series win?

PTR