CBS announcers

Lothar

sucks.

While I'm pissed at everything about the game result, I now also have a new candidate for "most awful" announcer - and though I loved everything about Tasker as a player, he may be the worst NFL commentator I've ever heard. I heard him as a play-by-play announcer in the preseason and he was awful, but this - this was bordering on pathetic. When you long for Theismann or Maguire or any of the non descript jaw flappers covering other games, you know the coverage has reached a new low.

He regularly called the wrong player's name (obviously not looking at the monitor on replays), offered little to no insight (seemed to contradict common sense on several red flag reviews) and seemed to talk for the sake of talking - the cardinal sin of a good analyst. Since he is part of the Bills family, I hope he learns the trade before it's too late. I'd like to see him talk in more detail about special teams tactics or playing the dual role of regular and special teams or something.

Sorry to rail at a Bills' icon - I guess I'm just blowing off steam after the painful result.

I also apologize to 89 in advance......because I also think Steve Tasker as a commentator blows..... :doh:

I tried to put my finger on it this last game and I think I have the reason....

Steve Tasker still cares....he still loves the bills and he gets down right pissed off when he sees his old team make mistakes.....

I get visions in my mind of Steve thinking WHAT THE *&&) ARE YOU DOING! when the bills make a boneheaded play......

Steve...I loved you as a player and I am quite sure you are a very good human being.....but you are retired so cut the cord a little bit okay..... :)

I guess I'm glad it was so loud in the bar that we couldn't hear the comentators. :doh:

On another note, why is it that on Fox all you can hear is the crowd? The crowd noise is so loud you can't hear anything else. Again maybe a good thing.

did you also notice that he ripped on the Bills an AWFUL lot? I dont know if he was trying to distance himself to look neutral, but he certainly did alot of Buffalo bashing. Just plain awful.

29415[/snapback]

i thought the same thing. he seemed to go against the Bills alot so as not to appear as a homer.

did you also notice that he ripped on the Bills an AWFUL lot? I dont know if he was trying to distance himself to look neutral, but he certainly did alot of Buffalo bashing. Just plain awful.

29415[/snapback]

I posted twice during the game that Tasker and Criqui were brutal yesterday.

The two most glaring points were the MM Challenge on the Spot of the Ball, and the incomplete Pass by J-Ville at the back of the Endzone in the 1st Half. The challenge play was described correctly by both announcers, but both were also arguing ad nauseum that the original spot was correct when it was SO obvious Moulds reached the Ball out at least two feet ahead of the original spot. The thing is , it was just so obvious I was like, what in the heck are these two looking at? The incomplete Pass was all Criqui, and he made an ass of himself. He called TD before the Jags WR even hit the ground, and like I said in my post yesterday, I'm not trying to say I'm the most observant Football Fan on the planet, but during live action even it was clear the WR landed WELL out of bounds. From that point the question was whether or not he was forced out, but the premature call by Criqui was a joke. I swear it sounded like he was cheering, or willing the TD...

I think both Criqui and Tasker were making a conserted effort to avoid the "Homer" lable in this Game. It was weird to hear because it was definitely a bit over the top in my opinion... :doh:

Man Ive always liked Steve as a announcer. I think he is a natural for TV. I didnt listen closely to yesterdays game because I was at the sons roller hockey tournament and watched the game on Tivo. As you would imagine, already knowing the result, I skimmed through the game and quit watching in the 3rd quarter. Steve never offended me but like I say I wasnt listening well. I really like Don Criqui as a play by play guy though.

with Criqui, every and I mean EVERY, pass play is a timing pattern or a timing throw. He doesn't know what else to say, go back and watch the game again, every pass is "timing throw" or "Reed, on the timing pattern"... what is his deal with that?

Tasker is usually pretty good as an announcer, but sometimes he goes to far in trying seem like not being a homer. Especially on that pass play to Moulds for the 1st down. It looked good to me but Tasker droned on to the opposite view point.

He needs to relax a bit with the anti-homer strategy. It's OK to homer now and then, he is the hometown announcer.

I'm sorry.

I listened to the game with Alex VanPelt and John Murphy doing the play by play.

I taped the game and will watch and listen to Tasker tonight while you all watch Monday Night Football. You can say what you want about Steve. I just am to personally involved to make judgement on a man who has been so important to me since at least 1990. When I use to tell him that the officials are to much against the Bills or the announcer cut us up too much he would tell me that I'm to sensitive to the remarks. Thus he trys too hard to not be bias.

29415[/snapback]

I agree. He had somethings positive for the Jags on almost every play and very little positive on the Bills. While the Bills made too many mistakes, that cost them the game, they did do alot right. Over all he could have handled the call more fairly.

I've always seen Steve as a decent 2nd string announcer. Above Beasley Reese but below the top tier. Yesterday was a poor outing for him and his partner. Awful awful awful. But it was the first game of the season...It was like they were half-watching the game. Some of the low-lights:

Tasker calling Clements "Kevin Thomas" at least three times as they watched the replay of his interception (with the close-ups of the back of Clements' jersey),

Completely missing the catch by Evans on the pass that sailed through Campbell's hands,

and the above-mentioned challenge and incomplete pass thing.