Jerry Gray - Why the prevent?

Jukester

There's been a lot of talk of the reasons for the loss. But one that warrants more discussion is Gray going to the prevent on the last drive. Come on - we're attacking the whole game, have them bottled up, get turnovers, and then on the last drive just let Leftwich stand back there. I've never agreed with it and it cost us the game (among other things of course).

There's been a lot of talk of the reasons for the loss.  But one that warrants more discussion is Gray going to the prevent on the last drive.  Come on - we're attacking the whole game, have them bottled up, get turnovers, and then on the last drive just let Leftwich stand back there.  I've never agreed with it and it cost us the game (among other things of course).

29292[/snapback]

I have never understood the prevent defense and have always hated seeing it. I even hate seeing other teams play it. It's just a stupid defense. Coaches worry about giving up the big play so what do they do? They give up a stevestojan load of small plays that bust your ass just the same. :angry:

There's been a lot of talk of the reasons for the loss.  But one that warrants more discussion is Gray going to the prevent on the last drive.  Come on - we're attacking the whole game, have them bottled up, get turnovers, and then on the last drive just let Leftwich stand back there.  I've never agreed with it and it cost us the game (among other things of course).

29292[/snapback]

I have never understood the prevent defense and have always hated seeing it. I even hate seeing other teams play it. It's just a stupid defense. Coaches worry about giving up the big play so what do they do? They give up a stevestojan load of small plays that bust your ass just the same. :angry:

simply didnt want to give up one big play (big yardage). And they didnt. They just nickle and dimed us to a touchdown.

There's a reason there is a popular saying:

Prevent defense prevents you from winning.

Just wish Milloy could have been part of it.

29303[/snapback]

Didn't give up a big play?!! What about the 45 yard pass on 4th and 14. I agree the players have to make the plays but any player will tell you they'd rather attack than sit back on their heels.

29292[/snapback]

I guess it would have been easier to understand had the Bills not forced Leftwich into a ton of poor Passes with pressure earlier on in the Game...

When the Jags went to the quicker routes, and BL started to get the Ball out when his back foot hit, they did begin to move the Ball a little better, so it may have been those type of Plays that Gray feared...His thinking could have been if I drop an extra DB or 2, maybe we can jump a Route on a short Pass and end this thing for good...

Anyway, hate the Prevent, always did, always will...

Prevent defense is suppose to be used in two possession games not one possession....Its used so the offense can bury themselves while hitting those short passes wasting the clock and killing any chance at a second possession...

Having said that its tough to kill Gray here...The Defense did the job all the day...and on the last drive some players(ummmm Clement) had a major brain fart :doh:

imo, the prevent on the final drive- and also the final jax drive before the half- is the single factor that cost us the game more than any other.

i know mularkey has gone on record as saying he wants to just leave gray alone to do his thing, but if he does that it will be a huge mistake. he can't be like williams and just sit and watch us make the same stevestojan mistakes every week.

imo, the prevent on the final drive- and also the final jax drive before the half- is the single factor that cost us the game more than any other.

i know mularkey has gone on record as saying he wants to just leave gray alone to do his thing, but if he does that it will be a huge mistake.  he can't be like williams and just sit and watch us make the same stevestojan mistakes every week.

29375[/snapback]

The next time the Bills are in this position I will give Jerry Gray a standing ovation if he blitzes a DB or a couple linebackers and gets burned for a TD. I will say thank you for at least trying to win the game.