A Great Day for Liberty

As of 12:01 this morning, it is now legal at the federal level for manufacturers to go back to the way it used to be. That's right, guns with bayonet lugs, flash supressors, barrell shrouds, folding stocks, pistol grips, and high cap magazines are going to flood the market and be affordable again - not that the "flooding the market" part is any different than before this ridiculously ineffective and expensive law was passed.

I'm surprised I made it into work today, with all the shots being fired... :angry:

Special :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: to Diane Feinstein and freedom haters everywhere.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As of 12:01 this morning, it is now legal at the federal level for manufacturers to go back to the way it used to be.  That's right,  guns with bayonet lugs, flash supressors, barrell shrouds, folding stocks, pistol grips, and high cap magazines are going to flood the market and be affordable again - not that the "flooding the market" part is any different than before this ridiculously ineffective and expensive law was passed.

I'm surprised I made it into work today, with all the shots being fired...  :angry:

Special  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  to Diane Feinstein and freedom haters everywhere.

29162[/snapback]

Better watch out for the dogs from Jersey and the telephone poles, oh and I almost forgot the cars. They tend to be more dangerous.

And Kerry says...

"So, tomorrow for the first time in 10 years when a killer walks into a gun shop, when a terrorist goes to a gun show somewhere in America, when they want to purchase an AK-47 or some other military assault weapon, they're going to hear one word: 'sure,"'

Uhhh...yeah, John-boy. Because it's not like a convicted felon buying any firearm isn't already committing another felony...and I'm sure Islamic extremists come here to buy their AK-47s... :angry:

Kerry also says:

"George Bush and Dick Cheney are engaging in shameful and irresponsible and outrageous behavior in trying to play the politics of fear and exploit the war on terror,"

And just what do you think you're doing with your "Bush wants to sell AK-47s to terrorists" reasoning above?

If you believe that the law was ineffective and full of loopholes, then why not call for it to be amended and corrected, instead of celebrating throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I'll side with the majority of police officers over the NRA and continue to support a ban on such weapons. Just another reason to vote out the current administration and Congress.

If you believe that the law was ineffective and full of loopholes, then why not call for it to be amended and corrected, instead of celebrating throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I'll side with the majority of police officers over the NRA and continue to support a ban on such weapons. Just another reason to vote out the current administration and Congress.

Doesn't Kerry have the power to do this? Why not finally figure out how to draft a bill and introduce it? Kerry charging that Bush let it drop, when he has effectively done the same, is a bit disingenuine.

There have been attempts by the Democrats to tighten the loopholes and extend the ban, but unfortunately the Republicans block such legislation from even coming up for a vote. Bush says he would sign a renewal of the existing ban if Congress sent it to him, but won't use the bully pulpit, like Kerry did today, to call for Congress to do so. Bush shows no leadership on the issue. Either say you're for it and push Congress to extend it, or say you're against it and take the political hit from the soccer moms.

I have no problem with me having the right to weapons of all kinds, its the rest or you boneheads that worry me.

Holy stevestojan, Mickey, something we finally agree on. Since I'm a big enough man to cross the aisle on this issue, why don't you reciprocate by voting for Bush?

The idea that the 2nd Amendment protects people's rights to have assault rifles sounds good on paper. But the defensive mechanism provided in that Amendmant is basically outdated. A bunch of Americans with assault rifles would fair poorly against our modern military should a coup occur.

If only we could take them on planes and walk down the street with them . . . we would have real freedom.

Sarcasm off.

Alaska Darin, are you in favor of any kind of gun control?

29645[/snapback]

If I'm not mistaken, you CAN walk down the street with a gun in many states. And while guns on planes would obviously have some drawbacks, there wouldn't have been any 9-11 attacks if half the passengers had been packing heat.

If I'm not mistaken, you CAN walk down the street with a gun in many states.  And while guns on planes would obviously have some drawbacks, there wouldn't have been any 9-11 attacks if half the passengers had been packing heat.

29665[/snapback]

The plane also would have gone down.

If only we could take them on planes and walk down the street with them . . . we would have real freedom.

Sarcasm off.

29645[/snapback]

Sure he is. It's called the Weaver stance... :doh:

Good thing THAT didn't happen...   :doh:

29671[/snapback]

Circular reasoning. You made my point.

If you guys seriously advocate that we should allow everyone to carry assault weapons on airplanes, you have gone way past any slippery slope.

The last thing we need is for passengers to have assault weapons or any other kind of weapon on a plane. There is enough air rage without arming the passengers.

Let's leave that job to the air marshalls.

Sarcasm off.

29645[/snapback]

Not much. There are well over 20,000 laws currently on the books. Most are never enforced and many are ridiculously costly. Washington D.C. has the most stringent gun laws in the country - it also is regularly among the cities with the highest rate of violent crime involving guns.

Disarming the public has always been a precursor toward overwhelming government.