LAMP: Taking off for Sartoga

Enjoy the weekend all...

Anyone heading to Saratoga for the Travers to bet the ponies? Let me know if you have the winner from this group-

G. Steinbrenner owns the favorite, Bellamy Road, but I like the Exacta box with the 2 and the 4.

SARATOGA

Saturday August 27, 2005

11th RACE

$1,000,000 Travers Stakes

Travers Field:

Post Position/Horse/Trainer, Jockey, odds

1 -- Bellamy Road/Nick Zito/ Javier/ Castellano, 2-1

2 -- Andromeda's Hero/Nick Zito/Corey Nakatani, 12-1

3 -- Chekhov/Patrick Biancone/Gary Stevens, 10-1

4 -- Roman Ruler/Bob Baffert/Jerry Bailey, 5-2

5 -- Don't Get Mad/Ron Ellis/Edgar Prado, 10-1

6 -- Reverberate/Sal Russo/Jose Santos, 6-1

7 -- Flower Alley/Todd Pletcher/John Velazquez, 7-1

Enjoy the weekend all...

Anyone heading to Saratoga for the Travers to bet the ponies?  Let me know if you have the winner from this group-

G. Steinbrenner owns the favorite, Bellamy Road, but I like the Exacta box with the 2 and the 4.

SARATOGA

Saturday August 27, 2005

11th RACE

Travers Field:

418869[/snapback]

Fug bellamy rd, cost me mucho money in the stinkin derby, sholda known not to bet the chalk.

I envy ya, have a great weekend

The best tip I have is if you are forced to buy beer on the grounds, go to the gazeebo right in front of the escalator to the clubhouse since you can buy a 20 oz Blue for $5.25, which believe it or not is much cheaper than the $6.50 you pay for 16oz of any other decent beer.

If you want a longshot to throw in your exacta for the Hopeful, try Tizzy's No Saint at 20-1. He ran a great race down here against 2 very good horses last month.

I don't know anything about horses, but check out The Parting Glass. Great place to get a dozen beers and a meal.

419025[/snapback]

Especially if Hair o' the Dog is playing.

I'm going to Saratoga this weekend too, but waiting until Sunday to go to the track. We'll probably hit OTB before the Travers though.

Enjoy the weekend all...

Anyone heading to Saratoga for the Travers to bet the ponies?  Let me know if you have the winner from this group-

SARATOGA

Saturday August 27, 2005

11th RACE

Travers Field:

418869[/snapback]

There is going to be an honest pace in this race with Bellamy Road and Flower Alley up front. I would take a long look at Andomedas Hero a closer and Roman Ruler who should sit just off the pace.

Here's my analysis:

1) #4 Roman Ruler-Appears to have overcome foot problems with back to back stakes wins in the Dwyer and the Haskell. Has been working like a horse possessed since his arrival on the Saratoga grounds. Has slower speed figures than both Bellamy Road & Flower Alley, but Bellamy Road is almost ceretainly a short horse. Zito has admitted his main goal is the Breeder's Cup and with many older foes retiring & Afleet Alex's injury, the Breeder's Cup seems to be where Bellamy Road will peak, not in the Travers.

2) #7 Flower Alley-2nd best speed #s after Bellamy Road. Has already been beaten by top choice, Roman Ruler, in the Dwyer, when Ruler, if anyone would have been the short horse. Bad pace scenario as he has to stalk Bellamy Road and by the time he passes him he'll be softened up a bit.

3) #1 Bellamy Road-Has to be short, and it's not easy going 1 1/4 off any sustained layoff. Couple that with his injury and this looks to be strictly a prep race for bigger things this fall. Will be winging it as far as he goes, but don't think you'll see a repeat of the Wood. An obvious false favorite.

4) #5 Don't Get Mad - Liveliest long shot in this race. If he runs back to Kentucky form, he could hit the board.