Dont Buy Gas From Exxon or Mobil

Brand J

Yes, master.  :P

Okay I have no idea how to make this short but let me try.

Oil is pumped from (1) wells on land, shallow water, deepwater or (2) tar sands of Canada (3) Oil shale - this is too expensive now but US has a lot of oil in this form.

Transported by (1) Sub-sea pipeline from offshore wells (2) over-ground pipelines to refineries or (3) pipelines to ports, oil tankers to destination country and then pipeline distribution network to refineries.

Main variables for prices: (1) Demand- Supply balance (2) Quality of oil - light sweet, heavy sour, sour etc. (3) Political situation such as conflicts, death of Saudi king , and (4) Market fears - hurricane that may disrupt supply, terrorism

Hope this answers JSP's question ? I don't want to make this too long as I know people attention span is limited and I am just too lazy.

417881[/snapback]

I can appreciate your laziness. I've been studying this for the past two weeks, and the more I learn about how oil is actually acquired and shipped, the more sincerely ignorant I become on the topic. ;)

It's so complex, it's probably not worth the answer anyway.

Problem is, some Skoal-drooling redneck is going to come on and tell you that $3.00 a gallon is cheap too.  It's $5 in France. 

I know, that's why I like the US better than France, but still, that is what you are going to get as a response here, sorry.

417608[/snapback]

Yeah, well in times of hardship, France's favorite positions are also either with their hands firmly clasped around their ankles or on their backs starting at the ceiling.

When I get to Buffalo I'm filling up with Mobil gas because I always do.  I'm not putting some cheapo gas that's going to wreck my engine.

418634[/snapback]

I agree. These major oil companies are multi-billion dollar conglomerates who simply cannot afford to see us a bad gallon of gasoline. Stuckincincy claimed (on the consumer board) that smaller companies have tanks which are often not as clean as those of the big companies. The majors also claim to put additives in their gasoline.

There are plenty of off brands around here. I could never pull into one in a $20,000 car and put "Home Run" gas in it in order to save 20 cents.

All the gas stations here in the SF area get their fuel from the handful of refineries in the area. The just add the additives before it is put in the truck. The local Safeway has the cheapest gas in town and sells so much, there is no way crud collects in the tanks. Chevron HQ is only 5 miles from me. You think they are the cheapest here?- no way. Gas is gas. Unless you drive a ferrari, regular is fine. and cheaper. By the way, the cheapest is $2.74/gal with the 3 cent/gal Safeway card discount.