Race Relations in Professional Sports

I completely disagree.

When I'm leaving work 2nd to last before my black coworker I'll say stuff like: "I'm gonna bounce" or "Peace".  I will think afterwords: "what the hell did I just say?  I never talk like that".  But then I'll realize that there's nothing to feel guilty about unless you're a hyper-sensitive Race Card Expert because it's totally natural and most people are like this whether they realize it or not - they're just adapting to their environments.

If you think that's "condescending" then you're sort of implying that the black culture is inferior, so maybe I'm not the one with the race problem.  :rolleyes:

417045[/snapback]

Ummm OK.

So what's the definition of 'gonna'?

To not man up to not running hard and calling Kent a racist because you didn't like what he said is unacceptable.  If I were Kent, I would demand the Dodgers cut Bradley.  How can you play with a teammate like that?

417072[/snapback]

He didn't call him a racist. He just said Kent doesn't know how to interact with blacks, which - regardless of whether or not that's true - is not nearly as serious of an accusation.

People blew up Rush Limbaugh's comments the same way, when all he was doing was accusing the media of affirmative action regarding the publicity of black QB's. He may not have been right, but it shouldn't have been such a big controversy.

I completely disagree.

When I'm leaving work 2nd to last before my black coworker I'll say stuff like: "I'm gonna bounce" or "Peace".  I will think afterwords: "what the hell did I just say?  I never talk like that".  But then I'll realize that there's nothing to feel guilty about unless you're a hyper-sensitive Race Card Expert because it's totally natural and most people are like this whether they realize it or not - they're just adapting to their environments.

If you think that's "condescending" then you're sort of implying that the black culture is inferior, so maybe I'm not the one with the race problem.  :o

417045[/snapback]

Hahahaha. Remember Chevy Chase in "Vacation" when he was off the highway in East St. Louis and he rolled down his window to ask the black guy for directions?

"Ah, excuse me, Homes? What it is, bro?"

:lol:

He didn't call him a racist.  He just said Kent doesn't know how to interact with blacks, which - regardless of whether or not that's true - is not nearly as serious of an accusation. 

People blew up Rush Limbaugh's comments the same way, when all he was doing was accusing the media of affirmative action regarding the publicity of black QB's.  He may not have been right, but it shouldn't have been such a big controversy.

417093[/snapback]

Rush's belief that black QBs needed to be propped up by the media was racist. That was the problem. Black QBs shattered the old racial bias against them 20 years ago. Rush just ignored the memo.

Bringing up race and saying that Kent doesn't know how to interact with blacks implies Kent is racist.  Unless Kent mentioned that all blacks don't play hard, I simply don't see how race has anything to do with a player getting in a teammate's face when he's not playing hard.

417111[/snapback]

It reminds me of how Deion Sanders told Carlton Fisk that "slavery is over" when Fisk got in his face after Sanders didn't run out a popup.

I have a lot more respect for Pudge than I do for Kent, who's an ass, but the same principle applies. Playing hard isn't a race issue.

"Me being an African-American is the most important thing to me -- more important than baseball," said the 27-year-old center fielder, whose voice never went beyond his normal speaking level. "White people never want to see race -- with anything. But there's race involved in baseball. That's why there's less than 9 percent African-American representation in the game. I'm one of the few African-Americans that starts here."

So let me get this straight, Milton. In this multi-million dollar industry, owners are willing to sacrifice wins ($$) in order to play whites ahead of blacks? Get real, a$$.

He didn't call him a racist.  He just said Kent doesn't know how to interact with blacks, which - regardless of whether or not that's true - is not nearly as serious of an accusation. 

People blew up Rush Limbaugh's comments the same way, when all he was doing was accusing the media of affirmative action regarding the publicity of black QB's.  He may not have been right, but it shouldn't have been such a big controversy.

417093[/snapback]

I thought part of why the media went after Rush Limbaugh was that he was an outsider in the world of sports journalists. He came into the scene having made his name in politics rather than in athletics as a player or as an adoring sports junky.

When he made a mistake (bound to happen as his schtick is really more entertainment than politics and he is a legend in his own mind) the long knoves came out, the media has the largest loudest soapbox im the world and Rush's stupidity in his comments about McNabb came at the same time as the revelations about his hyppcrisy relating to his drug illness and comments over the years about other drug addicts and the weaker folks in society.

The sports media has a history of acting things which are not their own or do not serve their interests like the what they uniformly trashed the announceless game experiment a few years back. This game was not perfect or even good. However, the standard of comparison should be games with announcers which also are not perfect and sometimes no even good.

The technology exists now with transposing the first down market on the field, halftone corner graphics showing the score, clock and down and distance, conistent and occaisional use of a crawl with out of town scores. If they added in color commentator who came in occaisionally and in a timely manner to explain odd calls and give injury updates, a game miked merelu for crowd noise and occaisional player chatter would be great from my perspective.

The sports media probably occaisionally will accept an outsider who gives up his old gig for the sport for the most part (Limbaugh did not) or shows reverance and respect for the game and commentators (Limbaugh did not). I though Dennis Miller has a chance because the main rap on him was being to esoteric and not doing enough football, bu he spent a lot of time initially showing his respect for and knowledge of the game.

Yet in the end his career at MFL was shoter than Dan Dierduff and there is no excuse for that.

The way I have always viewed it is simple: Stupidity knows no ethnic nor gender boundries.

417559[/snapback]

Agreed, EC-Bills, but there's another issue here.

When Milton Bradley was suspended by the Indians after getting into an argument with Tribe manager Eric Wedge, he accused Wedge of being a racist. Now Wedge is an old-school style manager who likes John Wayne movies, but he's a former player himself, and with players like Coco Crisp, C.C. Sabathia, and Victor Martinez on the team, I don't think Wedge can be accused of being racist, or favoring white players over minorities.

After that didn't work, Bradley even got his mother to call Wedge a racist. That just speaks volumes to me about MB being a crybaby.

MB is supposed to be this great player, but he's been nothing but trouble wherever he's been. Montreal, Cleveland, or LA. And the Indians certainly don't seem to miss him.

It's intriguing that the Tribe has employed both Albert Belle and Milton Bradley in the last ten years, but it shows what the Indians won't tolerate anymore. I don't think Albert Belle would have lasted long under Eric Wedge.

P.J. O'Rourke said it best: "Why would you hate a person on the basis of race when you can get to know them and find so many other things to hate about them?"

Mike

I was just reading the bradley is having knee surgery and may be done for the year...wonder how much he'd like it if the doc said

"being white/black/asian/whatever is more important to me that being a good doc and repairing your knee correctly"

I was just reading the bradley is having knee surgery and may be done for the year...wonder how much he'd like it if the doc said

"being white/black/asian/whatever is more important to me that being a good doc and repairing your knee correctly"

417747[/snapback]

;)

417747[/snapback]

I second SilverNRed by :lol:

Bradley says Kent in his own world, lacks leadership

Yeah, Jeff Kent is a racist and beyond that he's just a flat out !@#$.  No surprises there.  I'm not sure what Bradley is getting at specifically here but I don't understand why he feels that Kent needs to treat black players differently.  I'm sure he treats everyone like scum regardless of ethnicity.

It kind of reminds me of my time in the military.  I treated everyone like a shipmate regardless of what ethnicity they were.  Some of my friends however would talk differently around black people and act differently just the same.  If I was black I would interpret that behavior as both condescending and insulting.

416525[/snapback]

Apparently, when Bradley couldn't score on that double, Kent asked Bradley "what the problem is?"(ghetto) instead of "what is the problem"(proper whitey). When Bradley fired back, Kent was all like "I thought you were deaf" and Bradley was like, "man, wtf, are you talkin' about Curtis Pride?". Kent got jokes, but that ain't right.