Anyone know ACTUAL Bills play terminology?

Go do some searching, they said Shaw was cut for exactly that reason.  Not knowing the plays and not being in sync with Bledsoe. 

http://www.rnews.com/print.cfm?id=21777

http://www.wgrz.com/printfullstory.aspx?storyid=23598

These hot read routes were called out during the press conference on why he was cut.

Oh and quit being a prick.  You don't have a clue what the !@#$ you are talking about.

415709[/snapback]

ok, so you finally have some real facts to back you up. that makes you about 1-for-356 by my count.

and still, you exaggerated your point, saying that receivers didn't remember their routes. was it just shaw or were there others?

Actually VA is correct in this case eball. Plus it was apparent to most at the time that Shaw wasn't reading hot route situations correctly at the time...

415740[/snapback]

you know what they say about blind squirrels....

ok, so you finally have some real facts to back you up.  that makes you about 1-for-356 by my count.

and still, you exaggerated your point, saying that receivers didn't remember their routes.  was it just shaw or were there others?

415772[/snapback]

Shaw was the main one, but it was pointed out as being one of the reason Bledsoe locked on to Moulds as he knew he would usually run the correct hot route. Like Bledsoe or not it's a fact. As far as the others go, I don't know for sure but my guess is they were given a pass on poor route running as they were younger.

This is going to be long but it needs to be to properly explain how terminology works. The terminology used in play calling grows much more complex as you advance in level. That’s not because they want to make things more confusing, it just mean players have much more complex assignments. However all play calling has the same general guidelines. On a team by team basis these guidelines are described with different wording to disguise the play.

So to actually know what the specific wording is for each team would be impossible for someone who is not involved with the team. It probably even changes year to year somewhat and possibly a little bit during the year at the NFL level.

The general structure of a play is something like this

QB-RB-FB gets assigned a number; in my experiences those numbers have been 1, 2, and 4 respectively. The offensive lineman also get assigned numbers from 1-9. These numbers represent running lanes. So a typical running play would say formation first, followed by the strong side, followed by a number, followed by blocking assignment, then cadence.

Say the play is Eye right 24 zones on three, Eye Right is the formation and the strong side, 24 would be the tailback running to running lane 4, Zone would be the blocking assignment, and 3 would be the cadence.

In passing plays receivers are assigned either letters to indicate their position, or are given a predetermined place in the terminology of the play. For example the slot receiver might know that he is the third pattern to be called in each play, or he might be given a letter such as Z. Passing routes are also given either letters or numbers to describe what pattern to run, or they are just called exactly what they are. NFL teams probably combine all three methods to help disguise the plays.

Say the play is Shotgun Right X12 OUT S Option on three, Shotgun Right is the formation and strong side, X12 describes the X receiver running a 12 route, OUT describes the second receiver running an out route, S option describes the 3rd receiver running a Slant route with the option of changing his route to suit the coverage, and three describes the cadence.

What makes the NFL's play calling so complex is not the basic plays being called, its the other eight million options within a play that give players freedom to change their assignments based on how the defense lines up.

Sam Wyche, when he was head coach of the Bengals, actually created his own language which his offensive players spoke during the game.

415685[/snapback]

I believe a play called in the huddle by the QB in Sam Wyche's secret language would go something like this --

"OK guys listen up. Ouldsmay - ouyay ogay eepday. Evansway - ouyay ogay eepday. Ampbellcay - ouyay ogay aboutway evensay ardsyay andway urntay aroundway. Ethay estray ofway ouyay ockblay ouryay assesway offway osay Iway on'tday etgay illedkay."

I believe a play called in the huddle in Sam Wyche's secret language would go something like this --

"OK guys listen up.  Ouldsmay - ouyay ogay eepday.  Evansway - ouyay ogay eepday.  Ampbellcay - ouyay ogay aboutway evensay ardsyay andway urntay aroundway.  Ethay estray ofway ouyay ockblay ouryay assesway offway osay Iway on'tday etgay illedkay."

415881[/snapback]

icenay. :devil:

I believe a play called in the huddle by the QB in Sam Wyche's secret language would go something like this --

"OK guys listen up.  Ouldsmay - ouyay ogay eepday.  Evansway - ouyay ogay eepday.  Ampbellcay - ouyay ogay aboutway evensay ardsyay andway urntay aroundway.  Ethay estray ofway ouyay ockblay ouryay assesway offway osay Iway on'tday etgay illedkay."

415881[/snapback]

Man, you are doing an awful lot of THINKING!

Man, you are doing an awful lot of THINKING!

416270[/snapback]

I found an English to Pig Latin translator on the web (www.snowcrest.net/donnellay/piglatin.html) . It would have taken me forever to translate without that.

If I may:

The offensive lineman also get assigned numbers from 1-9

It's not the linemen which are assigned numbers, but the gaps themselves. Even numbers on the right, odd on the left. The C/RG gap is 2, the RG/RT gap is 4, etc. The C/LG gap is 1, the LG/LT gap is 3, etc.

Eye Right is the formation

It's actually an I formation because it's sort of shaped like an I.

n passing plays receivers are assigned either letters to indicate their position, or are given a predetermined place in the terminology of the play. For example the slot receiver might know that he is the third pattern to be called in each play, or he might be given a letter such as Z. Passing routes are also given either letters or numbers to describe what pattern to run, or they are just called exactly what they are.

X reciever is outside on the left, Z receiver is outside on the right, Y receiver is the slot guy or can even be the TE. Commonly, each route is then assigned a number from 1-9. So a QB can just reel of a 3 digit number with each digit corresponding to a particular route.

Example: if the route call is 387, then the X receiver runs a 3(maybe a little dig), the Y receiver runs an 8 (maybe a skinny post from the slot) and the Z receiver runs a 7 (maybe a deeper crossing route).

This is just a generalized example, pro designs are vastly more complicated (particularly a guy like Gruden's as mentioned above), and like Mike said sight adjustments are what makes the world go round (and offenses more complicated).

Cya