Anyone who saw/was at the game

I didn't realize that after the first Packers' drive where they marched down the field and scored a TD, that they replaced Favre with Rodgers, who proceeded to get them no points. So the performance by the starting unit wasn't as great as I thought. Did they play tame (because of the complaining by the Pack over the scrimmage)? Did they try different coverages/blitzes? Did they have some 2nd teamers in there just to give them a look-see?

i think they were experimenting with different things. I wouldn't put much too much stock in it. Yes, it's a little concerning that the pack was able to march down t he field, but it's not too bad in the big picture. I mean, after all, aaron shobel was in deep man to man coverage, with no safety help, with the guy that caought the TD pass... i don't really see that happening in the reg. season.

I didn't realize that after the first Packers' drive where they marched down the field and scored a TD, that they replaced Favre with Rodgers, who proceeded to get them no points.  So the performance by the starting unit wasn't as great as I thought.  Did they play tame (because of the complaining by the Pack over the scrimmage)?  Did they try different coverages/blitzes?  Did they have some 2nd teamers in there just to give them a look-see?

413645[/snapback]

i watched the game up here in Wisconsin.

it looked like the Bills were taking it easy.

Favre should have been sacked on his TD throw and Posey just let up like he was told not to hit Farve.

Start panicking. Our defense is shot. They were brutal on the first drive and Favre would have had 8 TD's if he stayed in the game. I am so worried about this. I couldn't sleep last night.

OK, I turned off the sarcasm button. Bills blitzed twice on the first drive, when they did, GB ran the ball. If the DE turns around that pass was probably knocked down and GB settles for a FG. Bills D was almost always bad on the first drive last year. Favre didn't stay in last night so the Bills D didn't have time to make adjustments. The D isn't going to stop every team on every single drive all year. I can't think of any other reasons why this is a big deal.

The D definitely was playing less aggressively on the first drive than we've seen, but it still concerns me.

Basically they were unable to get off the field on 3rd downs. I think there were at least 3 third downs the Packers converted on the drive, one where the pass was incomplete but Greer got called for defensive holding. And on the touchdown we had fairly good pressure. But Posey just couldn't get there as Favre made a great play dodging the pressure, stepping up and throwing a perfect pass. Must've been a zone blitz because Green was being covered by Shobel.

And I was GOING to put "or are we DOOMED" at the end of my post, but didn't. :angry:

Thanks for the input. Just wanted to know because I couldn't see the game. Little blitzing and Schobel covering a RB don't seem to be the norm. And someone mentioned that the Titans carved-up the Bills' defense last pre-season as well. So I feel a little better.

With all due respect to the "DOOOMED" posters here making light of a preseason drive, the only concern for me was the 3 consecutive 3rd down conversions. Several times this offseason posters have stated that fact as a reason our defense was over-rated. They cant make the stop when they NEED it. To be the Dominant defense that they want to be, they cannot give up that many conversions. Yes it was preseason, and doesnt matter. I just hope they do a better job getting off the field during the regular season...

it does interest me how important individual feel, momentum, and intangibles are to game results.

There is a somewhat reasonable explanation to these events that the Pack O had been publicly challenged by Favre as not being as good as players as the Bills who had kicked their butts in the scrimmage.

Prodded by this challenge and still led by Favre, the Packers' O took the field intent on sending a positive and better message to their fans and leaders. This MAY have made a marginal difference in their performance where the difference between great success and miserable failure by an NFL team is actually quite small (example, it was really the same Bills team which went 0-4 and then 9-3 last season without the exception of Bobby Shaw who though he did not contribute on the field was viewed generally as a positive guy).

Add to this the intangible on the Bills side that the D had actually had a relatively easy time of it against the Pack in the scrimmage and perhaps it took them a moment to readjust their heads as they focused on the fact they were still competing with each other for jobs and respect of their peers so they ramped it up after the first series (where again their were 3 3rd down conversions so marginal differences on single plays could stop an entire drive).

Finally, there is the intangible that Favre was done for the night so perhaps this impetus that he provided with his leadership which led to the first score was gone.

Who knows for sure, but this is one of the reasons the game is interesting.

The defense on that drive was working strictly on zone techniques, as was pointed out several times by Levy during and after the drive. They didn't bring any extra rushers except for on one play where they brought Milloy. They were using a live situation as a drill basically.

The defense on that drive was working strictly on zone techniques, as was pointed out several times by Levy during and after the drive. They didn't bring any extra rushers except for on one play where they brought Milloy. They were using a live situation as a drill basically.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear.

413725[/snapback]

exactly.

I didn't realize that after the first Packers' drive where they marched down the field and scored a TD, that they replaced Favre with Rodgers, who proceeded to get them no points.  So the performance by the starting unit wasn't as great as I thought.  Did they play tame (because of the complaining by the Pack over the scrimmage)?  Did they try different coverages/blitzes?  Did they have some 2nd teamers in there just to give them a look-see?

413645[/snapback]

This just in: Farve is good

To what other posters have said, let me add that the Bills' defense discounted the run too heavily on third and long, making them vulnerable to draw plays. That's how Green Bay made a lot of their third down conversions. In the regular season Jerry Gray would want to make adjustments, and fast, when that happens.