SF player Herrion is dead

CBS News reports 49ers lineman Thomas Herrion has died

Saturday, August 20, 2005 at 23:38:28 PT - Print it

Source: 49erswebzone.com

CBS News in Los Angeles has just reported that San Francisco 49ers guard Thomas Herrion has died after collapsing in the locker room after the game in Denver.

Herrion was put on a stretcher and rushed to a nearby hospital. Paramedics attempted CPR on the way.

Herrion collapsed after 49ers head coach Mike Nolan addressed the team.

A first-year player with the team, Herrion played college ball at Utah and spent part of last season on the San Francisco and Dallas practice squads and also played this season with the Hamburg Sea Dogs of NFL Europe. He was signed on January 5, 2005.

Our prayers are with Herrion's family.

:angry:

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8756958

my prayers go out to the Herrion and 49er families. things like this and korey stringer a few years ago kinda put things in perspective when i think about my obsession with the nfl.

413555[/snapback]

Damn shame, he was a young man too!!

An article in the Deseret Morning News in August 2003 said Herrion became a 3.2-GPA student at Utah, after not qualifying academically for the NCAA out of high school.

Herrion told that paper that beyond hopes for an NFL career, he wanted "to get into corrections, work on my Master's and get my teaching degree and go back to my high school and just work with kids."

:angry:

I'm 6'4" and weight 215. That guy was a bit shorter than me and weighed about a hundred pounds more. That is a big strain on his heart when he's at rest. Then for him to go full force in a game ...

It's very sad and his family must be in shock. The poor kid had the best of his life in front of him.

It was in the low 60s at game time , so it wasn't the heat. They were in a prayer circle in the locker room and he just keeled over dead. Maybe it was an anuryism? You can drop dead from that.

Seeing the news here in the SF area, shows just how the Niners are viewed. It was the third or forth story on the evening news. In Buffalo, they would have led with it or even broke into regular programming.