Bledsoe's non-pass to Shelton

In the 4th quarter, on the 3rd down play in the red zone when Bledsoe ate the ball and got sacked, why did Bledsoe not throw to Shelton (as it appears he was the intended receiver)?

On TV it LOOKED like Shelton was open but he hadn't turned and looked for the ball yet so Drew ate it. Can someone who was at the game tell me if there was a safety or linebacker defending Shelton (possibly out of the camera view)?

I'd especially like to hear from those poor souls who were at the Ralph & not TV viewers.

I wasn't there but if you can look at the play again either a LB or DE was in his face and jumped about 10 foot in the air.

28673[/snapback]

There were two guys in the throwing lane, would have had to lob it, and I couldn't tell if a LB or safety was deeper. If there was, on a lob the back defender would have had time to react and on an out pattern like that would have gone for a TD. Good sack on Drew's part there.

I thought he could have lofted the ball over the pass rusher.  Maybe it was that the timing of the rush would have made Drew throw it too early & Shelton hadn't turned yet.

28679[/snapback]

A lofted pass, in my opinion, was his only choice, but when you throw a lofted pass it could be trouble because it is easy pickins for a safety.

In the 4th quarter, on the 3rd down play in the red zone when Bledsoe ate the ball and got sacked, why did Bledsoe not throw to Shelton (as it appears he was the intended receiver)?

On TV it LOOKED like Shelton was open but he hadn't turned and looked for the ball yet so Drew ate it.  Can someone who was at the game tell me if there was a safety or linebacker defending Shelton (possibly out of the camera view)?

I'd especially like to hear from those poor souls who were at the Ralph & not TV viewers.

28670[/snapback]

If you watch SportCenter this morning they have a great angle on the play....First Shelton doesnt look back right away....then after the DE/LB notice playaction they jumped the passing lane....leaving Drew with one option and that was to take the sack and go for 3....no way do you loft a pass to endzone with a possible safety looming.....If Drew decides to loft it thats a TD for Jags going the other way....

Thanks guys, and Mark Gaughan's article this AM confirms that there was safety coverage on Shelton in the EZ...

"After two 1-yard Henry runs, Bledsoe made a play-action fake and looked to the left flat for fullback Daimon Shelton. But Jaguars safety Deke Cooper read the play and blanketed Shelton. Bledsoe had to hold on for a sack and the Bills settled for a 25-yard field goal to make it 10-6. "

Can't blame Drew for that, he made the right decision there and salvaged 3 points.

Thanks guys, and Mark Gaughan's article this AM confirms that there was safety coverage on Shelton in the EZ...

"After two 1-yard Henry runs, Bledsoe made a play-action fake and looked to the left flat for fullback Daimon Shelton. But Jaguars safety Deke Cooper read the play and blanketed Shelton. Bledsoe had to hold on for a sack and the Bills settled for a 25-yard field goal to make it 10-6. "

Can't blame Drew for that, he made the right decision there and salvaged 3 points.

28760[/snapback]

I saw the safety come over because I was looking at Shelton. I didn't really notice the guys coming at DB until later, but I was glad he did not throw it.

They should have scored on 1st or second down.

I got a question.  Bledsoe had 2 goes coming straight at him.  Did someone miss a block?

28787[/snapback]

Yes, Travis Henry. Travis gave up on his block and his guy ended up sacking Drew.

Since Travis has been in the league, he has been a horrible pass blocker. Thurman, on the other hand, was fantaxtic at pass blocking. I would have thought that Travis would have gotten the hang of it by now.

Yes, Travis Henry.  Travis gave up on his block and his guy ended up sacking Drew.

Since Travis has been in the league, he has been a horrible pass blocker.  Thurman, on the other hand, was fantaxtic at pass blocking.  I would have thought that Travis would have gotten the hang of it by now.

28808[/snapback]

OMG please STOP...Travis ran into the line to play out the play-action....he had no blocking assignment ... please watch the play again....OMG....LoL...I'm cracking up here....

Travis had a very good day blocking....watch the game again....

If there are guys in the passing lane it's quite conceivable Drew didn't see Shelton at all.

28813[/snapback]

That was kind of what I thought. He probably knew Shelton was there and could have lobbed it. I didn't see the angle with a safety it was probable at least one was followed Shelton.

I also don't remember who missed the blocks but will go back and look again when I get home tonight.

Why hasn't anybody here said anything about Henry running the wrong way on at least two obvious plays causing major losses. The first was a screen, lineman go one way and wrongway Henry is all by himself, result loss of 8. Later on a handoff, hes not there and Bledsoe has to eat it for a big loss. WTF. I don't care how hard he runs, if he can't block and is too stupid to know the plays he is of no help to this team. Plus I bet Willis would of scored if givin the ball twice at the goal line.

Why hasn't anybody here said anything about Henry running the wrong way on at least two obvious plays causing major losses. The first was a screen, lineman go one way and wrongway Henry is all by himself, result loss of 8. Later on a handoff, hes not there and Bledsoe has to eat it for a big loss. WTF. I don't care how hard he runs, if he can't block and is too stupid to know the plays he is of no help to this team. Plus I bet Willis would of scored if givin the ball twice at the goal line.

28831[/snapback]

Please go away.....there was absolutely no hole there for Henry go through to score...on the goalline you need to have your offensive line get some sort of push...bottom line...Henry/Mcgahee would not have mad much difference...Our OL got beat on both run plays on the goalline Bottom Line....

As for Henry miscueing on a couple plays it happens....Hopefully he learns as well as the rest of the offense in this "NEW" offense...

So you know on Mcgahee's first carry(a draw play)...He looked like he had no clue he was suppose to get the ball...it happens...

My only problem with the way that went down was the fact that they didn't run.

It may not have been the best decision to make, but given the situation, I was for running it on 3rd AND 4th down. 2 more chances to score 6, and if you turn it over on downs, you have J-Ville pinned.

Like I said maybe not the best decsion, but it is what I would have liked to see.