Good News Part Two:

Dudes,

We have to stop this. They will hog all the world's supply of deuterated acetone. That stuff will like totally mess you up. In college I went to this deuterated acetone and 7-Up party and ended up with a basketball hoop around my head. We must not let these geeks hog the supply.

Dudes,

We have to stop this.  They will hog all the world's supply of deuterated acetone.  That stuff will like totally mess you up.  In college I went to this deuterated acetone and 7-Up party and ended up with a basketball hoop around my head.  We must not let these geeks hog the supply.

408235[/snapback]

Right now there is a school board meeting being planned somewhere in Kansas to prohibit the teaching of cold fusion. :D

Right now there is a school board meeting being planned somewhere in Kansas to prohibit the teaching of cold fusion. :D

409496[/snapback]

Is that school board in Southern California? Then that meeting must be after the ""Expand Your Ebonics Vocabulary" seminar....

Is that school board in Southern California? Then that meeting must be after the ""Expand Your Ebonics Vocabulary" seminar....

409570[/snapback]

A good comparison with the exceptions that the ebonics flap was in Oakland which is in northern California and took place in 1996, nine years ago, while the evolution flap is a statewide issue in Kansas that is taking place now.

If I am not mistaken it is written, in Leviticus I think, that:

"Cold Fusion is an abomination in the eyes of the Lord"

409749[/snapback]

Your translation is off. It is Dannon Frusion" that is the abomination. Stay away from that crap. It is the work of the devil. Especially the raspberry flavor.

OK, all joking aside...this wasn't exactly published in the National Enquirer.

Why the mockery?

410291[/snapback]

Here is what I know about cold fusion in real life:

Elizabeth Shue was in some movie with cold fusion as a backdrop.

I had the choice of making jokes or watching that movie again to re-educate myself.

I chose A.

Sorry to offend

Until I read it in a peer-reviewed journal, it's crap.  Cavitation in acetone causes deuterium to fuse...but no gamma radiation?  Sure, whatever...

410462[/snapback]

Look, I don't proclaim to be a nuclear physicist, I'm not. But this was published by Perdue U. It seems highly unlikely to me that they'd OK the publication of something related to a subject that's been so hotly contested before. And didn't it say in the article that these findings were published in a peer-reviewed publication somewhere?

Look, I don't proclaim to be a nuclear physicist, I'm not. But this was published by Perdue U. It seems highly unlikely to me that they'd OK the publication of something related to a subject that's been so hotly contested before. And didn't it say in the article that these findings were published in a peer-reviewed publication somewhere?

410711[/snapback]

To wit: "The new findings were detailed in a peer-reviewed paper appearing in the May issue of the journal Nuclear Engineering and Design."

Pretty cool when someone in any field actually does something potentially revolutionary rather than just talk and spew.

To wit: "The new findings were detailed in a peer-reviewed paper appearing in the May issue of the journal Nuclear Engineering and Design."

Pretty cool when someone in any field actually does something potentially revolutionary rather than just talk and spew.

410744[/snapback]

That's what I thought. Well, Dexter?

That's what I thought. Well, Dexter?

410877[/snapback]

Well...your reading comprehension skills are pathetic. I said I had to READ it.

And I've tried. I'm not paying $30 for a reprint of a paper in a third-tier journal confirming somebody else's paper. But the abstract alone raises serious questions. I'm trying to get the original research published in Phys Rev E right now...

Well...your reading comprehension skills are pathetic.  I said I had to READ it.

And I've tried.  I'm not paying $30 for a reprint of a paper in a third-tier journal confirming somebody else's paper.  But the abstract alone raises serious questions.  I'm trying to get the original research published in Phys Rev E right now...

410911[/snapback]

You are going to read the article before responding? I think you are on the wrong board.

You are going to read the article before responding? I think you are on the wrong board.

410915[/snapback]

Yep. Then I'll post a review of the research, with my opinion. Then everyone will tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, because a press release from Purdue trumps my understanding of peer-reviewed literature based on my decade's experience in the field...

You're right. I AM on the wrong board.

Yep.  Then I'll post a review of the research, with my opinion.  Then everyone will tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, because a press release from Purdue trumps my understanding of peer-reviewed literature based on my decade's experience in the field... 

You're right.  I AM on the wrong board.

410922[/snapback]

Welcome to MY world.

A good comparison with the exceptions that the ebonics flap was in Oakland which is in northern California and took place in 1996, nine years ago, while the evolution flap is a statewide issue in Kansas that is taking place now.

409581[/snapback]

Please pay attention a little more:

Southern California School District to 'affirm' Ebonics

July 18, 2005

'It should be considered a foreign language'

A school district in Southern California approved the "affirmation and recognition" of Ebonics into its curriculum as a way to help black students improve academic performance.

The San Bernardino Board of Education says a pilot of the policy, known as the Students Accumulating New Knowledge Optimizing Future Accomplishment Initiative, has been implemented at two city schools, according to the daily San Bernardino Sun.

Ebonics, a dialect of American English spoken by many blacks, was recognized as a separate language by the Oakland, Calif., school board in 1996.

Mary Texeira, a sociology professor at Cal State San Bernardino, believes the program will be beneficial to students.

"Ebonics is a different language, it's not slang as many believe,' Texeira told the Sun. "For many of these students Ebonics is their language, and it should be considered a foreign language. These students should be taught like other students who speak a foreign language."

Texeira acknowledged there are African Americans who disagree with her.

"They say that [black students] are lazy and that they need to learn to talk," she said.

The program, which will be implemented gradually, begins this fall when teachers receive training on black culture and customs. The district curriculum will include information on the historical, cultural and social impact of blacks in society.

Len Cooper, coordinator of the pilot program at the two city schools, said Ebonics won't actually be incorporated into the program, because of its "stigma."

"We are affirming and recognizing Ebonics through supplemental reading books for students," he explained.

Although the program is aimed at black students, other students can choose to participate, the Sun reported.

Board member Danny Tillman told the paper he pushed for the policy because he hoped it would increase the number of black students going to college and participating in advanced courses.

But Teresa Parra, board vice president, worries other minority groups, including Hispanics, will want their own programs.

"I've always thought that we should provide students support based on their needs and not on their race," she said.

Ratibu Jacocks, a member of a coalition of black activists – the Westside Action Group – said they are working with the district to ensure the policy is implemented appropriately.

"This isn't a feel-good policy. This is the real thing," said Jacocks.

He welcomes the idea of other ethnic groups lobbying for their own program.

"When you are doing what's right, others will follow,' Jacocks said. "We have led the way before the civil-rights movement opened the door for women's rights and other movement

Yep.  Then I'll post a review of the research, with my opinion.  Then everyone will tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, because a press release from Purdue trumps my understanding of peer-reviewed literature based on my decade's experience in the field... 

You're right.  I AM on the wrong board.

410922[/snapback]

Mr. CTM, you are a physicist, correct? So then maybe you can answer my questions:

Is the title of this thread wrong in calling this discovery "cold fusion?" I thought cold fusion is fusion that takes place at room temperature, while this bubble fusion allegedly occurs at the typical millions of degrees needed for nucleosynthesis...

Also, isn't there a huge difference between achieving a fusion reaction and actually sustaining it? So this discovery may still very well be a dead end in solving the world's energy crisis, right?

Finally, what's the general scientific opinion of cold fusion right now? I read an internet article a year ago alluding to the idea that this field is mostly a crackpot field and has been since the Pons/Fleischmann debacle. True or not?

Mr. CTM, you are a physicist, correct? So then maybe you can answer my questions:

Is the title of this thread wrong in calling this discovery "cold fusion?" I thought cold fusion is fusion that takes place at room temperature, while this bubble fusion allegedly occurs at the typical millions of degrees needed for nucleosynthesis...

Also, isn't there a huge difference between achieving a fusion reaction and actually sustaining it? So this discovery may still very well be a dead end in solving the world's energy crisis, right?

Finally, what's the general scientific opinion of cold fusion right now? I read an internet article a year ago alluding to the idea that this field is mostly a crackpot field and has been since the Pons/Fleischmann debacle. True or not?

411145[/snapback]

Good catch.

This thread should have been titled LOW-COST fusion rather than "cold" fusion.

Good catch.

This thread should have been titled LOW-COST fusion rather than "cold" fusion.

411251[/snapback]

Or even "small-scale" fusion, since 1) there's nothing that points to cost in any economic sense in the announcement, and 2) there's nothing that suggests it'll be a self-sustaining reaction capable of generating power. But labelling it "cold fusion" was a big marketing faux paux, since cold fusion a la Pons and Fleischman is pretty much accepted as a crock.

KH, I can't answer your questions in detail right now...I'll try later.