(LAMP)Any electric bass players here

The Poojer

my wife is bringing home a bass for my 13 year old son, he has never even held one before.  What is a good instructional book(He wants a book) to get him running?  Thanks.

407749[/snapback]

I've dabbled (and I do mean dabbled) in guitar and now bass for about the last 20 years. I'm no expert, but I would let him get used to the instrument a bit. Playing with his fingers (as a majority of bass players do) is going to be tough at first so a heavy pick might be appropriate. There probably is a beginners books out there, but I would also consider at least a couple of lessons. That way the proper fundamentals and technique could be taught to make learning easier.

What kind of bass is he getting? Is he getting an amp too?

my wife thinks it is a fender bass, it is from a coworker. lessons will definitely be on tap, but he is hell bent on having a book as well. I am hoping to get him lessons with Tony Levin :) ...wishful thinking

I've dabbled (and I do mean dabbled) in guitar and now bass for about the last 20 years. I'm no expert, but I would let him get used to the instrument a bit. Playing with his fingers (as a majority of bass players do) is going to be tough at first so a heavy pick might be appropriate. There probably is a beginners books out there, but I would also consider at least a couple of lessons. That way the proper fundamentals and technique could be taught to make learning easier.

What kind of bass is he getting?

407792[/snapback]

my wife thinks it is a fender bass, it is from a coworker.  lessons will definitely be on tap, but he is hell bent on having a book as well.  I am hoping to get him lessons with Tony Levin :) ...wishful thinking

407800[/snapback]

A good teacher will work him from a book, and will probably have a standard book he/she works with...unless you're talking about setting him up with a garage-band wannabe who feels that his ability to play the bass breaks from "My Generation" qualifies him to be a teacher...

I think this is an excellent book.

Bass Bible

As for video instruction, I would recommend the HomeSpun Tapes bass video:

HomeSpun Bass

I'm a straight ahead guitar player, so take it for what it's worth... ;-)

Good luck,

Charles

ps. You might want to find out who is fave band/bass player/music act is and then find out if they have some kind of instructional book/video.

I am a bass player and I agree with some of the comments above. While an instructional book is good, you need to get the kid a teacher in order to develop proper technique. Don't let him form bad habits. It is much more difficult to break those habits later on.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

my wife thinks it is a fender bass, it is from a coworker.  lessons will definitely be on tap, but he is hell bent on having a book as well.  I am hoping to get him lessons with Tony Levin :) ...wishful thinking

407800[/snapback]

Your son will make a lot of progress with a teacher, much more than a book. My son downloads "tabs" of the net so as to learn songs. Much easier than reading typical music.

Buffalo's best bassist Billy S

Go the teacher route for sure. If he's had any experience playing music on any other instrument, it should be a bit easier, but if this is his first go the bass is probably the toughest instrument around to master because it is very subjective. Yes, he can learn where 10 notes on it happen to be and play 80% of garage band junk, but to enjoy and prosper, you need good fundimentals or an incredible ear and instinct.

The most obvious question, yet one that never gets asked is what do you want him to get out of it? Lessons are cool and all if you want him to play jazz (shudder) or metal (gasp), but the best way to learn how to play is fire up the amp and start wailing away. Does he have any friends that want to start learning drums and guitar as he learns how to play the bass? He'll learn a hell of a lot more by playing with his buddies than he will from some music store "superstar". Lessons will only crush his creativity. There's a reason those guys are giving lessons and not playing in bands.

People throw "garage" around like it's a bad thing. What the hell does it matter if the kid is having fun? "Cover band" is a bad thing, but the term "garage" has a rich history of DIY rock and roll. And for crying-out-loud make him use a pick. Guys that use their fingers and guys that slap the strings irritate me. Make sure the strap is long enough so the bass hangs down below his waist. That's another peeve of mine. And get him a black leather jacket, a bowl haircut, and start calling him Dee Dee.

qu'est que c'est "tabs"???

408063[/snapback]

"Tabs" use numbers instead of musical notation, so you don't have to actually read sheet music. The numbers correspond to the fret and show the string where you need to put each finger.

So on a bass tab if you see a number 5 on the fourth line (bottom line) it means to play the fourth string at the fifth fret.

Here's Aerosmith's "Sweet Emotion" for example:

http://www.bassmasta.net/a/aerosmith/101156.html

People throw "garage" around like it's a bad thing.  What the hell does it matter if the kid is having fun?  "Cover band" is a bad thing, but the term "garage" has a rich history of DIY rock and roll.  And for crying-out-loud make him use a pick.  Guys that use their fingers and guys that slap the strings irritate me.  Make sure the strap is long enough so the bass hangs down below his waist.  That's another peeve of mine. 

408038[/snapback]

"Garage" is OK, but "cover band" is bad? Sorry, but who the hell wants to hear a bunch of songs written by 14-year-olds??? Augh!

Most bass players play with their fingers, maybe a pick for some songs, IMO. I have not researched this, but it seems like common sense.

Why does the finger-picking bug you? (Just a "peeve", I reckon...)

Slapping? Fuggetaboutit, unless Larry Graham is back in town.

Have any of you bass enthusiasts in the Buffalo area come across a Gibson EB-O, single pickup with the original finish removed?

It has a rather large crack in the peg head, so it literally has "a plate in it's head". It has an aluminum plate on the back of the peg head to compensate for the big crack.

If anyone has seen this dear old friend, let me know, PM me or whatever.

I actually purchased it at a pawn shop in the Augusta Georgia Greyhound station back when I was in the Army. It had no case, so I brought it home sticking out of my duffel bag.

I sold/traded it back in the 80s, and wish I had not sold it. Such is life.

I am thinking about buying a bass again some time soon.

The most obvious question, yet one that never gets asked is what do you want him to get out of it?  Lessons are cool and all if you want him to play jazz (shudder) or metal (gasp), but the best way to learn how to play is fire up the amp and start wailing away.  Does he have any friends that want to start learning drums and guitar as he learns how to play the bass?  He'll learn a hell of a lot more by playing with his buddies than he will from some music store "superstar".  Lessons will only crush his creativity.  There's a reason those guys are giving lessons and not playing in bands.

People throw "garage" around like it's a bad thing.  What the hell does it matter if the kid is having fun?  "Cover band" is a bad thing, but the term "garage" has a rich history of DIY rock and roll.  And for crying-out-loud make him use a pick.  Guys that use their fingers and guys that slap the strings irritate me.  Make sure the strap is long enough so the bass hangs down below his waist.  That's another peeve of mine.  And get him a black leather jacket, a bowl haircut, and start calling him Dee Dee.

408038[/snapback]

This is wrong on so many levels ( I suppose the "usually wrong" under your avatar should have warned me), though I strongly agree with you about the "garage" thing. <_<

"Garage" is OK, but "cover band" is bad?  Sorry, but who the hell wants to hear a bunch of songs written by 14-year-olds???  Augh!

409541[/snapback]

What takes more creativity, learning how to play “Smells like teen Spirit” or writing a song with his buddies about how they hate Social Studies? I’d much rather hear a band of 14 year olds blasting out original tunes about what bugs them than a cover song. Maybe that's just me.

This is wrong on so many levels ( I suppose the "usually wrong" under your avatar should have warned me), though I strongly agree with you about the "garage" thing.  <_<

409912[/snapback]

Usually, but not this time 0:)

I took one guitar lesson. This was a long time ago, mind you. He showed me how to play the intro to "smoke on the water" and gave me some lame-o blues scales to work on. I never went back and I taught myself how to play. Did I know what was technically "right" or "wrong"? Nope. Did I care? Nope. I played what sounded good to me, then found other guys that were into the same thing. I had a hell of a lot more fun than some kid practicing scales in his bedroom.

Let the kid have some fun.

What takes more creativity, learning how to play “Smells like teen Spirit” or writing a song with his buddies about how they hate Social Studies?  I’d much rather hear a band of 14 year olds blasting out original tunes about what bugs them than a cover song.  Maybe that's just me.

410001[/snapback]

I think there is more to playing music than just the "creative" aspect of writing your own songs, expressing your own feelings that way. That's a great aspect, but the cover band playing all your favorite tunes at a bar is important as well, at least to me.

Mostly, Johnny, I wondered why the finger-picking of the bass irked you!

Oh, well...

I think there is more to playing music than just the "creative" aspect of writing your own songs, expressing your own feelings that way.  That's a great aspect, but the cover band playing all your favorite tunes at a bar is important as well, at least to me.

Mostly, Johnny, I wondered why the finger-picking of the bass irked you!

Oh, well...

410139[/snapback]

It's more personal taste, I guess. Finger picking leads to noodling around. I think the bass should be a rhythm instrument, and should follow the drums more. I like the Dee Dee Ramone style of bass playing. I don't like guys like Billy Sheehan that are all over the place. Like I said, personal taste.