(LAMP)Any electric bass players here

The Poojer

It's more personal taste, I guess.  Finger picking leads to noodling around.  I think the bass should be a rhythm instrument, and should follow the drums more.  I like the Dee Dee Ramone style of bass playing.  I don't like guys like Billy Sheehan that are all over the place.  Like I said, personal taste.

410150[/snapback]

I'm one who believes the style should fit the style of music, as well as the size of the band. A three piece band can afford a more "full" sound from the rhythm section (Cream, Jimi Hendrix Experience, the Who, Rush) than a four or five piece with two guitars or guitar+keys. There are notable exceptions, but that's the way I always looked at it...

Get him a good teacher who can teach him songs he likes right away. If he likes rock it won't be too hard. Then get him an Ampeg bass amp. You can get him a vintage SVT or a new classic SVT or one of the smaller models. You most likely got him a Fender bass but there are a lot of nice ones out there. Once he knows his Ampeg logo he'll see it everywhere on TV with all kinds of different bands. It is the standard.

I don't play my guitar through a Marshall. I am happy with my Mesa Mark IV with an extra speaker cabinet. I have it on some special foam thing which seperates the sound from the floor.

The world needs more bass players. Please continue to encourage the lad.

I'm one who believes the style should fit the style of music, as well as the size of the band.  A three piece band can afford a more "full" sound from the rhythm section (Cream, Jimi Hendrix Experience, the Who, Rush) than a four or five piece with two guitars or guitar+keys.  There are notable exceptions, but that's the way I always looked at it...

410161[/snapback]

Clearly this falls into the "to each his own" category, as you say. Personally I'd rather watch a couple guys slug their way through a tune than watch some "virtuoso" bore me with his technical prowess for countless minutes. I'd rather hear a pick-slide than a long guitar solo, and I never want to hear a bass roaming all over a song. It appears I am in the minority here.

I've learned guitar (for the past year), from guitar for dummies... I have seen bass for dummies. The GFD book is pretty decent, from what i've seen at the bookstore and stuff. If he's young, get him a lesson or three... It will be worth the investment over a do it yourself book.

Clearly this falls into the "to each his own" category, as you say.  Personally I'd rather watch a couple guys slug their way through a tune than watch some "virtuoso" bore me with his technical prowess for countless minutes.  I'd rather hear a pick-slide than a long guitar solo, and I never want to hear a bass roaming all over a song.  It appears I am in the minority here.

410348[/snapback]

It appears you didn't read the post you are responding to here. (No I'm not trying to be a smartazz)

The world needs more bass players.  Please continue to encourage the lad.

410228[/snapback]

After screwing around with guitar for decades, I took some lessons again last year. It's a lot of fun, but I think I'm a bass player at heart.

I plan to buy a bass in a few months.

It was good to read your words about the world needing more bass players!

Bass players are sort of like the offensive linemen of the band...

Clearly this falls into the "to each his own" category, as you say.  Personally I'd rather watch a couple guys slug their way through a tune than watch some "virtuoso" bore me with his technical prowess for countless minutes.  I'd rather hear a pick-slide than a long guitar solo, and I never want to hear a bass roaming all over a song.  It appears I am in the minority here.

410348[/snapback]

It depends on the song and the way the bass is played. I am from the Squire/Lee school where the bass plays a strong part in the song. The problem is, that you have the people who think ability equates to the number of notes that you play. It is not the number of notes, but the notes that you play and how they fit into the song. A good bass player will not overpower the song (unless the bass is intended to lead, ala Stanley Clarke). They will create the bridge between the guitar and drums, filling in the song.

Just like it takes some real knowledge to know the value of a great offensive line to a football team the same applies to a bass player in a band. One of my favorites is James Jamerson. The heart of the original Motown sound.

http://www.bassland.net/jamerson.html

If you listen to one song, I suggest Stevie Wonder's "I was made to love her" That's Jamerson in there making that song a hit on his own. Being a guitar player he does stuff on bass that makes my jaw drop.

Good luck with the switch from guitar to bass. You'll need to toughen up your finger tips. A lot of guitar players in big bands record the bass parts themselves when they record a record. It is an art in itself.

Good luck ~

Surf