The Terrel Owens thread

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I now hate TO more than Dion Sanders. I never thought that would be possible, but there is no bigger wanker in Pro Football right now.

Yes, there's bigger criminals, but nobody is a bigger jerk than TO.

I don't get why it makes everyone so angry. TO's interviews provide more unintentional comedy than anything else in recent memory. He's hilarious. He's just an immature celeb who had a broken life and never really had to grow up properly.

I'm assuming people hate him because of his attitude, not his position re: his contract, no? I mean, the "honor your contract" idea is garbage - NFL players really just have an at-will contract, even tho it's not worded as such. My employer has promised me a nice salary - but it can fire me whenever it wants, for whatever reason, and I'm screwed. For the same reason, I can leave whenever I want.

No one is mad at Hines Ward for not "honoring his contract."

Again, it must just be that people react with venom to TO's imbecilic (is that a word?) rants - try just laughing.

Frankly, I have no idea what everone is so cranked up about. This is a business, not a sport. TO has every right to decide that he wants nothing to do with his teammates and his team and has every right to walk out on them simply because he doesn't want to be somewhere simply because he thinks he needs more money because he last contract was unfair.

Plus, Drew Rosenhaus is really the one to blame for this, but you can't blame him because he's just trying to get his player more money and since the NFL screws players, players should be able to screw the NFL.

Get over it, people. TO can do what he wants because nothing else matters but TO.

404331[/snapback]

Yeah, so what if TO isn't the best teammate but if the Eagles think they are going to win without him then they got another thing coming. The NFL has built a system that doesn't reward players financially like they should. Nowadays with the leverage teams have over players it's almost like a communist state. The guy deserves to get paid like he wants for the value he adds to the team. None of this would have happened if the Eagles just got the deal done, realized what the guy is worth and moved on instead of alienating their best player. In all the interviews I've seen of TO i've never seen him disrespectful or act like a fool. He's honest. He'll tell you like he sees it and personally I think that's an asset. And if he thinks you are screwing him over for what he brings to the team he'll take it to the media.

TO isn't going to kowtow to the Eagles ownership or management just because. The Eagles are making a ton of cash off playoff home games and without TO they aren't going to get that money IMO. And if so, why shouldn't the guy be paid like the superstar he is.

did you see the interview with TO and his agent at halftime of yesterdays preseason game?

it was funny to watch his agent. everything he said was said to correct TOs statmetns or turn attention to something else. a true shark.

but what really got my attention is what he said about the SB.

basically, TO signed a "secret" waver to play in the SB. the doc would not clear him. so he had to sign a contract that if he was injured in the game, the team could release him and NOT have to pay ANY money to him that was garenteed in his contract.

Whatever. I can understand the issue with contracts where the last few years aren't meant to be played, anyway.

But the guy signed his contract LAST YEAR! To friggin bad for him. If he was smart at all, he wouldn't have signed it.

Screw TO. If he didn't like the NFL's contract situation, he should have done something else with his life. I have no pity for any NFL player. Making excuses for them as if they are abused children is hilarious.

I'm assuming people hate him because of his attitude, not his position re: his contract, no?  I mean, the "honor your contract" idea is garbage - NFL players really just have an at-will contract, even tho it's not worded as such.  My employer has promised me a nice salary - but it can fire me whenever it wants, for whatever reason, and I'm screwed.  For the same reason, I can leave whenever I want.

No one is mad at Hines Ward for not "honoring his contract."

405731[/snapback]

I feel sorry for him. Screwed up ethics and character. He's probably an emotional disaster.

I watched some pro atheletes and their wives on a religious channel last night and they all confirmed how so many pros are surrounded by people who screw them up mentally. They felt it comes from too much money and fame too soon.

Whatever. I can understand the issue with contracts where the last few years aren't meant to be played, anyway.

But the guy signed his contract LAST YEAR! To friggin bad for him. If he was smart at all, he wouldn't have signed it.

Screw TO. If he didn't like the NFL's contract situation, he should have done something else with his life. I have no pity for any NFL player. Making excuses for them as if they are abused children is hilarious.

405747[/snapback]

Lets not forget the whining he did to get out of Baltimore.

----------

This is a violent game. At any point TO's career could be done. Over. That's it. The business he works in averages a career of 3 years. He wants to be paid like a superstar, he deserves to be played like a superstar, he worked his arse off to get back so he could help in the SB. And what's Philly do? They turn his back on his requests. Philly is getting what they deserve and if they run out there with Greg Lewis and whoever else at WR this year they are going to get a quick schooling on why TO should be paid like he wants to be.

did you see the interview with TO and his agent at halftime of yesterdays preseason game?

it was funny to watch his agent. everything he said was said to correct TOs statmetns or turn attention to something else. a true shark.

but what really got my attention is what he said about the SB.

basically, TO signed a "secret" waver to play in the SB. the doc would not clear him. so he had to sign a contract that if he was injured in the game, the team could release him and NOT have to pay ANY money to him that was garenteed in his contract.

405742[/snapback]

As I recall, Steve Grogan signed something similar for the season that he wore that barrel around his neck. Perhaps one of our trolls can help me out clarifying this.

The Eagles have out-and-out denied this claim, and I trust them more than I do Owens.

This is a violent game. At any point TO's career could be done. Over. That's it. The business he works in averages a career of 3 years. He wants to be paid like a superstar, he deserves to be played like a superstar, he worked his arse off to get back so he could help in the SB. And what's Philly do? They turn his back on his requests.  Philly is getting what they deserve and if they run out there with Greg Lewis and whoever else at WR this year they are going to get a quick schooling on why TO should be paid like he wants to be.

405752[/snapback]

It sure is a violent game! Did this just dawn on him last year? Or did he not realize that until hafter hi signed is $50 million dollar contract? Or did it happen after he banked his substantial signing bonus? It cearly dawned on him after he bitched his way out of SF and Baltimore.

Somewhere personal accountablility has to play into this thing. Right now making excuses for someone who has made his own choices is silly. If he didn't like it he should never have signed his contract.