Are motorcycle riders stupid?

todd

Fatalities increase after helmet law repealed

I know there's quite a bit of debate regarding helmet laws, but this one seems like common sense to me. Why the hell wouldn't you wear a helmet on a motorcycle? Why the hell would you go out of your way to lobby to repeal a common-sense law?

If we're going to be forced to pay for someone else's hospital bills because they are stupid enough not to wear a helmet, then it IS the government's responsibility to ensure we save our tax dollars for stuff that's worthwhile.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there's quite a bit of debate regarding helmet laws, but this one seems like common sense to me. Why the hell wouldn't you wear a helmet on a motorcycle? Why the hell would you go out of your way to lobby to repeal a common-sense law?

If we're going to be forced to pay for someone else's hospital bills because they are stupid enough not to wear a helmet, then it IS the government's responsibility to ensure we save our tax dollars for stuff that's worthwhile.

402613[/snapback]

If riders who crash are dying because there's no bucket on their noggin, there is no one being forced to pay their hospital bill - they're dead.

Why does something that's common sense need to be legislated?

If riders who crash are dying because there's no bucket on their noggin, there is no one being forced to pay their hospital bill - they're dead.

Why does something that's common sense need to be legislated?

402622[/snapback]

But if they are merely injured, paralized, brain-damaged, etc., the state is obligated to pay their medical bills. Sux for taxpayers, I guess!

I don't think common sense should need to be legislated, unless it's forcing your average taxpayer to foot the bill for the lack of common sense.

Cell phones in cars is another good example. I've seen no evidence that using a cell phone in a car with a headset vs. without a headset decreases the chances of someone getting in an accident. Why legislate that?

402613[/snapback]

It is FAR more dangerous to drive a motorcycle with or without a helmet than a car with no seatbelt.

Maybe we should simply ban motorcycles. Hey, I like that idea!

At the VERY least, they should be banned from public roads, or privately owned roads to which there is public access. I am tired of my tax dollars going toward these imperfect persons (motorcycle riders).

Motorcycle riders aren't stupid it's the stupid drivers around them.

It is common sense to wear a helmet, just like it's common sense to wear a seatbelt. My husband and I have been riding for years and in our experience the helmets offer a measure of protection from the !@#$s around us who don't know how to drive a car. Operating a motorcycle definately requires experience in defensive driving. I can't tell you how many times we've been cut-off by someone who failed to notice us (that's why they say 'loud pipes save lives', duh!) or how many times someone would be riding our ass just a couple feet back. You have to operate a motorcycle with the expectation that someone around you is bound to do something stupid, and you have to be ready to react.

I don't know the statistics and I'm sure a lot of the accidents are due to inexperience, but I'd be willing to bet that more than half of motorcycle accidents are the fault of a driver of a car. We've lost two dear friends in separate motorcycle accidents because of the stupidy of a driver in a car. Both were cut-off and killed through no fault of their own. A third friend also was cut-off and suffered serious injuries in yet another accident caused by the stupidity of a guy driving a car.

So we wear helmets because we don't want our kids to grow up without us due to the stupidity of an idiot in a car!

Right.  It's everyone else's fault.    :D  Ban cars, and motorcyclists will never need helmets...

402678[/snapback]

You're such an idiot. Did you read the whole post? I said I'm sure a lot of motorcycle accidents are due to inexperience.

Right.  It's everyone else's fault.    :D  Ban cars, and motorcyclists will never need helmets...

402678[/snapback]

Yeah it's the cars fault for changing lanes when the idiot MC driver is doing 125+ up 95 and cutting between cars in traffic. I have seen at least a half a dozen accidents with these idiots cutting through heavy traffic pulling this crap.

You're such an idiot.  Did you read the whole post?  I said I'm sure a lot of motorcycle accidents are due to inexperience.

402685[/snapback]

Yes, I read the whole post. Though it didn't approach the level of brain-damaged moronicity of "Downloading movies is legal because it's illegal but not enforcable", it still conclusively proved that at least one motorcycle rider is stupid.

Yeah it's the cars fault for changing lanes when the idiot MC driver is doing 125+ up 95 and cutting between cars in traffic.  I have seen at least a half  a dozen accidents with these idiots cutting through heavy traffic pulling this crap.

402687[/snapback]

Didn't you read the whole post either?? I swear this is like teaching kindergarten kids how to read a post in its entirety.

Inexperience is a factor, so is youth. But don't paint all motorcyclists with the same brush. For every 1000 riders you see on the road you'll see maybe one racing and popping wheelies.

You're such an idiot.  Did you read the whole post?  I said I'm sure a lot of motorcycle accidents are due to inexperience.

402685[/snapback]

Be it poor drivers, or any other reason, it is dangerous to drive a motorcycle. Two bodies were scooped off the streets of my neighborhood this summer. One was smacked by a landscaping truck while doing a "wheelie."

As for your description of motorcycle riders, for every one of them doing the speed limit, I see at least 20 that far exceed it.

That said, my posting above was totally sarcastic. I am all for you riding your motorcycle, and as far as I am concerned, the helmet should be up to you.

Then again, I am not a behavioral controlling, uptight, holier than thou hipocryte who seeks to deny rights to property owners and apartment dwellers, and then pose a a "conservative." :D

Didn't you read the whole post either??  I swear this is like teaching kindergarten kids how to read a post in its entirety.

Inexperience is a factor, so is youth.  But don't paint all motorcyclists with the same brush.  For every 1000 riders you see on the road you'll see maybe one racing and popping wheelies.

402697[/snapback]

And don't you !@#$ing read. Because here in VA, every last MC rider drives like what I said. Not a one of them obeys the laws. Young or old, driving on 95 with them is a venture in stupidty. Because the traffic is so bad most of them use their smaller size to ride the center line, cut through traffic, or just ride the curb to avoid any backups. It is rare to see one here who actually signals lane changes, make legal lane changes, or stay under the speed limit. You may have the best bike riders in the world near you, but we have nothing but pricks on two wheels here.

Yes, I read the whole post.  Though it didn't approach the level of brain-damaged moronicity of "Downloading movies is legal because it's illegal but not enforcable", it still conclusively proved that at least one motorcycle rider is stupid.

402692[/snapback]

Is that all you got? You can't stay on topic so you reach for something entirely outside this thread? Are you incapable of discussing the matter at hand without resorting to childish insults when someone has a different opinion than you?

Is that all you got?  You can't stay on topic so you reach for something entirely outside this thread?  Are you incapable of discussing the matter at hand without resorting to childish insults when someone has a different opinion than you?

402705[/snapback]

Stay on topic? What topic would that be, "motorcycle riders who don't wear helmets are idiots"? Or "people who drive cars around motorcycles are idiots"? Take your own advice...

402613[/snapback]

As a former motocross racer, I owe my life to my helmet. Amen to that brother. Jeb Bush repealed that law down here in Florida. Idiot.

It is FAR more dangerous to drive a motorcycle with or without a helmet than a car with no seatbelt.

Maybe we should simply ban motorcycles. Hey, I like that idea!

At the VERY least, they should be banned from public roads, or privately owned roads to which there is public access. I am tired of my tax dollars going toward these imperfect persons (motorcycle riders).

402663[/snapback]

Now there's a radical, all or nothing thought. :D

Jeb Bush repealed that law down here in Florida. Idiot.

402709[/snapback]

Idiot? That's probably the best thing he could have done for that state.