Question...

My roommate and I had this discussion. I know a few of you will know the answer (BiB, AD, CTM).

He says China can come in (because they're running on a surplus), and buy all of our technology away from Lockheed Martin, and Boeing, because they're not part of the govt, only contractors.

I say there's no way this could possibly happen (I have no argument why, though).

Could it?

They can bid on anything that is not classified. However the final sale of any technology to a foreign entity must be approved by the US Federal Motherment. If the Feds think the sale may jeopardize National Security, they can block the sale or at the very least try to stall it

They can bid on anything that is not classified.  However the final sale of any technology to a foreign entity must be approved by the US Federal Motherment.  If the Feds think the sale may jeopardize National Security, they can block the sale or at the very least try to stall it

402507[/snapback]

That's what I was thinking, but how would they block or stall it?

My roommate is CONVINCED China will try and pull this within 5 years.

You can thank those terrific "Americans" running the Clinton Administration for basically repealing the COCOM system, which greatly aided the Warsaw Pact countries and the Chinese in buying our technology, including the super computers.

There are a variety of laws in place to preclude companies from selling things overseas, including modern computer and other recently developed technology. Many times, in the fine print of new computer hardware or softwares purchase there are caveats that basically state that the buyer will not export the stuff out of the US.

You can thank those terrific "Americans" running the Clinton Administration for basically repealing the COCOM system, which greatly aided the Warsaw Pact countries and the Chinese in buying our technology, including the super computers.

There are a variety of laws in place to preclude companies from selling things overseas, including modern computer and other recently developed technology.  Many times, in the fine print of new computer hardware or softwares purchase there are caveats that basically state that the buyer will not export the stuff out of the US.

402516[/snapback]

Wait, you mean Clinton !@#$ed up on foreign policy?

Are you SURE it was Clinton who did so?

Surely you can't be serious, of the man that saved the Democrats' foreign policy.

:D

My roommate and I had this discussion. I know a few of you will know the answer (BiB, AD, CTM).

He says China can come in (because they're running on a surplus), and buy all of our technology away from Lockheed Martin, and Boeing, because they're not part of the govt, only contractors.

I say there's no way this could possibly happen (I have no argument why, though).

Could it?

402499[/snapback]

The State Department has control over the export of anything considered a defense article or service through the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Despite the name, it covers some general technologies and services that some would find surprising. Also, the government (FTC?) has to approve any sale of a US business to a foriegn entity.

I know there are some restrictions on general technologies and intelectual property export as well, but I'm not familiar with them.

I know that there are international agreements as well. In the counter-proliferation arena there are not only State and DOE controls, but mechanisms such as the Waasenaar and Australia Group that both monitor and restrict WMD related and dual use technologies.

My guess would be that they would block the transaction based on the fact that they use this type of technology for DoD missions. They probably wouldn't want China to have access to the same stuff they are using to launch thier spy-ware....

The Chinese government and any company owned by a Chinese national must get approval for the transfer of any technology from the US Federal Motherment. But...

China has been known to start front companies in the US to bypass the international regulations and filter technology back

The Chinese government and any company owned by a Chinese national must get approval for the transfer of any technology from the US Federal Motherment.  But...

China has been known to start front companies in the US to bypass the international regulations and filter technology back

403224[/snapback]

Ya think?

There are a variety of laws in place to preclude companies from selling things overseas, including modern computer and other recently developed technology.  Many times, in the fine print of new computer hardware or softwares purchase there are caveats that basically state that the buyer will not export the stuff out of the US.

402516[/snapback]

Johnny Chung: "I see the (Clinton)White House is like a subway. You have to put in coins to open the gate."

402516[/snapback]

Yes, but has the Bush Admin done anything to reverse this? I blame both admins for not minding the store.

Yes, but has the Bush Admin done anything to reverse this? I blame both admins for not minding the store.

403561[/snapback]

Almost certainly. Problem is the Bush administration doesn't have the first clue how to market it.

I'll bet, though, that if you search the links BiB's provided, you'll find at the very least references to the applicable policy.

403561[/snapback]

I wasn't dismissing the current administration, simply pointing out the "largest" first step in the process. I can't say whether the current administration has done anything overtly or covertly to fix/worsen the process. I'm open to hearing what's out there on the subject.

I wasn't dismissing the current administration, simply pointing out the "largest" first step  in the process.  I can't say whether the current administration has done anything overtly or covertly to fix/worsen the process.  I'm open to hearing what's out there on the subject.

403966[/snapback]

Memo to file...Clinton administration has been out of office for six years. Sooner or later the Bush administration is going to have to take some responsibility for its actions.

Memo to file...Clinton administration has been out of office for six years.  Sooner or later the Bush administration is going to have to take some responsibility for its actions.

405596[/snapback]

Whether it's Clinton, Bush or Mickey Mouse, each administration and the nation at large has to live with the policies made by earlier ones. If Clinton screwed up export restrictions that resulted in the PRC making quantum leaps economically and technically over the last ten years, it's both accurate and appropriate to blame him.

In the end I do find Clinton more culpable. I spent a fair amount of time in Hong Kong in the 90's and he was loved there. Of course, he helped make many of them very rich. But I also know many American businessmen who believe that their products were outright lifted by Chinese pirating or reverse engineering without any legal remedy.

In the end, we don't know what we are helping create in China because there is such a lack of political transparency. Without a floating currency we are in a sense providing the biggest labor subsidy in the history of the world.

403224[/snapback]

I used to sell fairly expensive software used in many products including military ones.

I got a call from a chinese person at a company with a phony name. She wanted to buy a whole bunch of source code. When I called her back she wasn't sure what she wanted to use it for. She had no idea whatsoever. Her email addr was at yahoo.com. When I asked her for a meeting to discuss the products to be sure they were really what she needed she said the whole company was run from her apartment so we could not meet (keep in mind that she had no idea what this company, run from her apartment, was in business for, she just knew she needed this sophisticated source code to make it all work).

I used to sell fairly expensive software used in many products including military ones.

I got a call from a chinese person at a company with a phony name.  She wanted to buy a whole bunch of source code.  When I called her back she wasn't sure what she wanted to use it for.  She had no idea whatsoever.  Her email addr was at yahoo.com.  When I asked her for a meeting to discuss the products to be sure they were really what she needed she said the whole company was run from her apartment so we could not meet (keep in mind that she had no idea what this company, run from her apartment, was in business for, she just knew she needed this sophisticated source code to make it all work).

405716[/snapback]

i hope you passed this info on to the authorities. at the time. i know I would.